Formula One 2023

Lineker

11 hours ago, Twist said:

Time might prove me wrong but McLaren have utterly cocked up that compound choice, especially the more this safety car drags out. 

They made out fine. The safety car did keep Piastri off the podium though. Loved seeing Lando up front though. It was fun while that lasted.

3 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

They made out fine. The safety car did keep Piastri off the podium though. Loved seeing Lando up front though. It was fun while that lasted.

Yeah. The gap at the end made me wonder for half a second whether softs would have kept Lando with Max but then I realised Max was probably just managing the gap.

Bummed for Nyck, but he's definitely had a rough first half. I thought they'd give him until at least summer break, but with them dead last in the Constructors, they need to start finding points immediately.

I am very interested to see what Ricciardo has left in him.

Yeah, it’ll definitely be very interesting to see if his time at McLaren was an anomaly and if he’s still got it. It would be nice for him to get back to the top but he really was being quite badly trounced by Norris so I have a lot of doubts.

Managed to convince myself that Red Bull want to see how Danny Ric performs over the next couple of races and if he does well they'll dump Checo during the summer break and bump DR up to the RB seat for the rest of the season. This is me mainly trying to understand why they didn't wait until the summer break to drop DeVries.

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I wouldn't believe anyone who says they didn't see that coming.

Yeah, not at all surprising if dissapointing. Max held his line brilliantly and made it as difficult as possible for Hamilton.

Just a shame for the rest of the race. Take Red Bull out of this season and this would have been a brilliant season.

• Like 2

I resent Perez in the Red Bull more than Verstappen. He doesn’t deserve the seat and continually wins driver of the day from all his Latin American fanboys for qualifying in a shit position, overtaking a load of shit boxes and finishing 30 seconds behind his team mate. 

That might be an issue for him if we only get two laps behind a safety car.

Probably.

• Admin

Pat Fry is moving from Alpine to Williams as their new technical director.

The FIA is willing to be flexible as rain threatens to disrupt the schedule for the Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix over the next three days.

While practice sessions lost to bad weather are a regular risk at Spa, the fact that this year it is a sprint weekend has made it more complicated than usual, with two qualifying sessions and two races to squeeze in.

Possible scenarios were discussed at the regular team managers' meeting on Friday morning.

In essence, it has been agreed that the priority is to have a proper normal qualifying session ahead of Sunday's Grand Prix.

Although in theory, Friday's FP1 session could count for the grand prix grid if today's late afternoon qualifying session is rained out, an alternative scenario is that the Saturday slot currently earmarked for the shootout ahead of the sprint could become qualifying for the main race, assuming that conditions allow it to take place.

That grid could also count for the sprint even if it doesn't run the usual shootout rules in terms of tyre usage and session length.

If either the sprint or the main race does not run to their full distance, this weekend could see the first implementation of the new points arrangements agreed after the controversial 2021 Belgian GP, when half points were awarded despite the field running behind the safety car and no racing laps being completed.

Under the new arrangements for both the sprint and the grand prix, the field has to complete at least two racing laps with no safety car or VSC intervention for points to be awarded.

For the sprint, there are just two possible outcomes. If fewer than 50% of the scheduled 15 laps are completed, no points are awarded. If the sprint runs beyond 50% distance, full points will be allocated on the usual 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis for the top eight.

However, there are four possible scenarios for the 44-lap grand prix. If the leader has completed fewer than two laps, no points will be awarded.

If the race has run between two laps and 25% distance, only the top five will receive points, on the basis of 6-4-3-2-1.

If the result is called between 25% and 50% distance, points go to the top nine with the allocation 13-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1.

If the finish is made official between 50% and 75% distance, points go to the top 10 on the basis 19-14-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1. Finally, beyond 75% distance, full points are awarded.

As noted, in all cases two flying laps with no safety car have to be completed for points to be awarded.