Formula One 2023

Lineker

• Admin

All 10 Formula 1 teams have successfully stayed within the Cost Cap, which for 2022 was set at $140m, the FIA has announced.

The Financial Regulations were introduced from the start of the 2021 season in a bid to limit spending and ensure the long-term viability of the championship.

Teams are required to submit accounts of their annual spending against the Cost Cap for the year by the following March.

Last year, Williams and Aston Martin were found to be in ‘procedural breach’, while Red Bull were deemed to have committed a ‘procedural breach and a minor financial overspend (less than 5% of the Cost Cap)’.

Williams and Aston Martin received financial penalties. Red Bull were handed a more significant fine alongside a reduction in their wind tunnel testing allowance.

Following the submissions for 2022, the FIA reviewed all reporting documentation submitted by each of the 10 teams and has subsequently issued certificates of compliance to all.

“The review has been an intensive and thorough process, beginning with a detailed analysis of the documentation submitted by the competitors,” said the FIA.

“Additionally, there has been an extensive check of any non-F1 activities undertaken by the teams, which comprised multiple on-site visits to team facilities and careful auditing procedures to assess compliance with the Financial Regulations.

“The FIA Cost Cap Administration notes that all Competitors acted at all times in a spirit of good faith and cooperation throughout the process.

“The FIA also notes that the Financial Regulations are essential to the long-term financial stability of the sport, and that they will continue to be developed and refined based on the findings of each review process both in terms of the regulations themselves, which are written and approved under the FIA Formula 1 governance process, and the way in which they are enforced and policed.

“The FIA has made and will continue to make significant investments in this department for the collective benefit of the sport.”

• 2 weeks later...

Good lord that was a heavy crash for Lance Stroll.

It has spoiled a really exciting end to Q1, every single driver was running faster than the best previous times.

Is there a way for them change the regulations at some point which doesn't mean that a late red flag borks 5 people's qualifying? It's not fair at all that Piastri, Bottas etc. are out purely because they didn't get to finish their last lap when several others did.

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

Good lord that was a heavy crash for Lance Stroll.

It has spoiled a really exciting end to Q1, every single driver was running faster than the best previous times.

Is there a way for them change the regulations at some point which doesn't mean that a late red flag borks 5 people's qualifying? It's not fair at all that Piastri, Bottas etc. are out purely because they didn't get to finish their last lap when several others did.

Feels particularly unfair on Piastri with such a competitive car underneath him.

With the rumours swirling about Stroll leaving F1, this season just seems to be piling the rough moments on top of him this year. Wouldn't be surprised he he stepped away, even if it just for a couple of years. He knows he'll always have a seat if he wants to come back.

Edited by Twist

What a great race to watch. Loved seeing the differing strategy play out for the first 2/3s of the race, and then that mad dash to the finish which ultimately led to Russell crashing was fascinating.

It helped that Red Bull were driving around in treacle for a lot of it and were never in contention for the win.

It also really helps that my man Carlos won it. 

I always look forward to this one. Singapore might genuinely be my favourite race. I know it’s not for everyone but I love how it transitions between these long cautious phases and then the shorter periods where they go for it, as well as how the power of the undercut, the bunched of field and the frequency of safety cars can affect strategy. I was concerned some of the changes to the track might affect these aspects so I’m glad this one was really entertaining.

Although to be honest, the battles been McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes (and at the start of the season) Alonso have been tight all year - it’s just that much more absorbing when it’s for the race win rather than the last spot on the podium.

• Like 3