Formula One 2023

Lineker

21 minutes ago, FestiveJack said:

When I saw both the McLarens up in the top 10, I knew something mad had happened.

To be fair Norris was there on merit and Piastri was sat in 11th when it all kicked off. They definitely benefited at the end but they didn’t look as rough as the first two races.

• Like 1

I tapped out literally seconds before Russell retired, and watched the rest this morning.

I was very, very much hoping that they kept the standings the same, gave Sainz a 5 second penalty, and put Hulk on the podium :shifty:.

Sainz has got a 5 second penalty (putting him 12th) and Haas are protesting the decision to revert to the previous lap's standings, so that Hulkenberg podium isn't out of the question...

(It is, they have no hope of winning that protest)

55 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Sainz has got a 5 second penalty (putting him 12th) and Haas are protesting the decision to revert to the previous lap's standings, so that Hulkenberg podium isn't out of the question...

(It is, they have no hope of winning that protest)

Yeah, given as much as people want to play up the drama of that ending I think it was ultimately completely logical and well applied.

Seems a good race to watch from the highlights. I really don't think Sainz deserved a penalty though, especially applied to a Safety Car finish which may as well have acted as a Disqualification.

I don't really think a red flag was needed after the Magnussen crash either. But there we are. There weren't many happy drivers about at the end of that one.

Loads of complaints and shots fired at the FIA across twitter and Reddit, but that was handled as well as it could have been.

Maybe the Sainz penalty should have been announced after the flag but the rest was spot on.

7 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I assumed they did the red flag for Magnusson because of all the people who moaned about finishing under a safety car.

That is exactly why they did it - due to the directive to avoid a race finishing under SC conditions wherever possible. But then it still pretty much did anyway.

• 2 weeks later...