2023 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

• Admin
11 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I'm actually very intrigued by CJ Stroud. I get that he scored low on the S2 (whatever that is) and that Ohio State QBs typically kind of suck in the NFL but I like his skillset. He's got good size, seems to be a good athlete, highly productive in college, won a lot of games, and well their Lions should be adding a young arm. Plus, Stroud isn't under any pressure to start here, he could literally learn under Goff for two years. 

That said, I feel like he's going before 6 and a lot of this stuff coming out this week is probably nonsense. 

One of the best comparisons I have heard for Stroud is that he's Jared Goff with wheels.

2 minutes ago, Lineker said:

One of the best comparisons I have heard for Stroud is that he's Jared Goff with wheels.

Yep I've seen that as well. I watched highlights of him and yeah, he's got good WRs but dude was throwing nice passes. Threading the needle, dropping the ball right in the WRs bread basket on deep throws, and like you said he can avoid pressure better than Goff due to his athleticism.

Tough to really make a guess at #25 for the Giants.  Their three biggest needs going in are WR, CB, and C.  WR is where most fans think they'll go with the pick, but the Giants already have pretty decent complementary WRs, they need a WR1 and you probably won't find one in this class, let alone that late.  CB might be the safer bet for a week 1 starter depending on who is still on the board.  I don't think C is a position where Schoen will ever think a round 1 pick is worth it even though the need is clear.

But really when you pick that late, the rules of BPA really do come into play.  If they really like an edge, DL, or safety that fall to them it can't be ruled out.  A trade back wouldn't surprise me at all either.

The PFF draft simulator is basically broken as it has Tyree Wilson available at #25 every time, when he's a very likely top 10 pick.  The other draft simulator I use I've been consistently ending up with WR Quentin Johnston from TCU in the 1st, CB DJ Turner from Michigan in the 2nd, and C Ricky Stromberg from Arkansas in the 3rd.  I'd be quite happy with that.

Anyone who plays fantasy football with me can probably guess my feelings towards the Cowboys taking a tight end in the first round of the draft.  I'm seeing way too many people talking about Travis Kelce, while failing to realize he is the one massive, glaring exception, and everywhere else in the NFL, tight end usage is trending down.

Most teams have a very talented tight end, and the offense they run caps what they can produce.  Mike McCarthy has never favored the tight end position in his offense, so I fail to see the point in spending a high draft pick on one.  

Looking forward to this. Feels like one of the lesser predictable drafts in recent years.

I think I'd prefer we didn't go QB. We have greater need on D, and I think we should take the best available player on that side of the ball with the early pick. 

I suspect we may trade down from our 2nd pick to be able to collect a few more Day 2/3 picks. 

3 minutes ago, DFF said:

Looking forward to this. Feels like one of the lesser predictable drafts in recent years.

I think I'd prefer we didn't go QB. We have greater need on D, and I think we should take the best available player on that side of the ball with the early pick. 

I suspect we may trade down from our 2nd pick to be able to collect a few more Day 2/3 picks. 

I'm hoping to get some picks for 24 in any trade down scenario, obviously picks for this draft as well. 

Yeah my preference is defense as well, and would probably be defensive line but Witherspoon has been mocked to us a lot. Could be nothing though, but that dudes film is pretty fucking nice. I'd be cool with him as the pick, let him work with Kerby Joseph again. 

Just now, VerbalPuke said:

Lol and on cue we get the fans booing Goodell. That's my favorite part.

I love that he leans into it every year too, haha. A great pantomime villain. 

• Like 2

I forgot how much I hate what they have done to the draft.  

What the fuck is Kiper talking about?  Kyler was basically the same size.