Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

1 minute ago, DavidMarrio said:

Anywhere else on the pitch, that would have been given. 

Brilliant performance, outstanding in the second half and missed some good chances. 

Don't think that harms our chances for the title at all, keeps the momentum rolling

I definitely agree it didn't cost us the title. I don't think Arsenal are winning out, and fully expect them to wilt under the pressure again to City. 

It's just so frustrating. So many missed chances and awful decision making in the box by our players. And then to have a clear penalty denied because *Man City* just makes it that much worse. MacAllister very clearly touches the ball first. Doku then kicks him in the chest. And then finally the ball touches Doku. Just cowardice from VAR.

Liverpool should be happier than Man City with the point, I'd say. Especially with the players out injured.

I can see the argument either way for the Doku foul at the end, I'm not too surprised it wasn't overturned.

Who has the harder run-in, on paper, out of the top three? Going to be an interesting end to the campaign.

4 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Don't think that harms our chances for the title at all, keeps the momentum rolling

Not at all especially as City and Arsenal still have to play each other

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Liverpool should be happier than Man City with the point, I'd say. Especially with the players out injured.

I can see the argument either way for the Doku foul at the end, I'm not too surprised it wasn't overturned.

Who has the harder run-in, on paper, out of the top three? Going to be an interesting end to the campaign.

Arsenal don't have an easy away run at all and have the obvious away trip to City next.

I think our April is a good run in but then its Spurs at home, Villa away and Wolves at home final three games. Got to go Old Trafford and Goodison as well

City have Arsenal/Villa back to back and go to Tottenham as well which is always a bogey game for them. 

Still think City are the favourites. I think the fact we're even in this position is brilliant as you'd have expected it to be City/Arsenal again. Arsenal are on form but we've been winning with a heavily depleted squad. 

40 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Anywhere else on the pitch, that would have been given. 

I think you're right with this, as it is it's a classic "wouldn't have been overturned if it was given". It's certainly not "stonewall" (I fucking hate that term, and you could probably find a post from me saying the same a decade ago @stokeriño).

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

For me, Doku is playing the ball and Macallister jumps into contact. Surprised it wasn't given but also thought it probably shouldn't have been anyway.

He literally studs him in the chest. As said previously it’s a free kick anywhere else therefore it’s a penalty. Can’t see how anyone can think it’s not a foul. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Radical Moongoose said:

He literally studs him in the chest. As said previously it’s a free kick anywhere else therefore it’s a penalty. Can’t see how anyone can think it’s not a foul. 

This wasn't exactly Nigel de Jong...

Actually, I'll put a little more effort into this reply.

I'll start with saying I'm a neutral. Don't give a fuck who wins.

Doku was playing the ball and Macallister jumped into his foot. Doku was stupid to put himself in that position to potentially give away a penalty, but it was also the type of decision that was right to stay with the referee. If he'd have given it, it wouldn't have been overturned. However, in not giving it, I also don't think you can argue for it being overturned. 

It is an admittedly small sample size, but the only people I see complaining are Liverpool fans. Other fans (I'll use Colly and myself here) are largely of the 'if it was given it would have stuck, but it wasn't, so it didn't' crowd.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Liam said:

This wasn't exactly Nigel de Jong...

Actually, I'll put a little more effort into this reply.

I'll start with saying I'm a neutral. Don't give a fuck who wins.

Doku was playing the ball and Macallister jumped into his foot. Doku was stupid to put himself in that position to potentially give away a penalty, but it was also the type of decision that was right to stay with the referee. If he'd have given it, it wouldn't have been overturned. However, in not giving it, I also don't think you can argue for it being overturned. 

It is an admittedly small sample size, but the only people I see complaining are Liverpool fans. Other fans (I'll use Colly and myself here) are largely of the 'if it was given it would have stuck, but it wasn't, so it didn't' crowd.

Doku may have been "playing the ball" but 1) MacAllister clearly touches the ball before Doku, 2) Doku still kicks him in the chest, studs first, 3) "playing the ball" has been shown time and time again to not matter one bit now when determining fouls, penalties, etc.

I've also seen a ton of neutrals saying it's a penalty 🤷

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Szumi said:

Doku may have been "playing the ball" but 1) MacAllister clearly touches the ball before Doku, 2) Doku still kicks him in the chest, studs first, 3) "playing the ball" has been shown time and time again to not matter one bit now when determining fouls, penalties, etc.

I've also seen a ton of neutrals saying it's a penalty 🤷

When Mr Liverpool Jamie Carragher is saying it probably isn't a penalty...says a lot.

I'd like to expand a bit too. On the "if it's a free kick outside the box it's a penalty in" point we all know that isn't the case, and to be honest I a) don't see that as a bad thing, and b) don't see it as cowardly refereeing. If anything it's the other way round, we know refs will happily semi guess inconsequential decisions in the middle of the park (like say giving a drop ball the wrong way :shifty:), but will be a bit more cautious on a game changing decision like a penalty and if they didn't we'd be whinging about the game going soft.

It's very much a "seen them given", but not necessarily a clear and obvious error. If McAllister puts his head in he guarantees himself a pen (and a headache).

• Like 1

Gotta say it was really great day for Quansah, Bradley, and Kelleher.

• Like 1

I think the complaint I have here is that above all it creates a gray area on something that is an actual safety concern for players (studs in the chest). I think I heard the ruling was that it wasn't a penalty because both were playing the ball and the contact was "unavoidable".  And while that is a fair interpretation of what happened (since I do agree playing the ball doesn't necessarily require touching the ball first), it seems to me that it rewards a risky, unsafe play by Doku.

Funniest thing about the whole thing was Mike Dean going 

"Yeah that's a pen, they'll send him the monitor"

VAR check complete

"Correct decision from VAR there" 

• Like 1