Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

Since Forest appointed him the other week. It's completely absurd, and for Sky etc to be quoting him as if an impartial observer when he's on the payroll is ludicrous. It was bad enough he was sat with Howard Webb for their game the other night, so many conflicts of interest it's unreal.

Edited by Colly
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Adam said:

"Nottingham Forest referee analyst Mark Clattenburg" has objected to the Liverpool winner.

Since when did clubs have their own "referee analyst"?

It's hilarious to because all the complaints I heard were that Konate faked a head injury and that Liverpool didn't give the ball back to Forest like they should have. However, 1) the exact same thing happened in the first half where the ref just had Forest take possession instead, 2) Liverpool should have had the ball anyways for a foul by Forest during the set piece, 3) Konate "faking a head injury" was after he very clearly got kicked in the face during the Forest corner.

The complaint is that the drop ball should have gone to Forest in the first place, which is absolutely correct. I'm not convinced it's a foul on Konate either but the ref certainly didn't give that, so it's definitely an error. And I haven't seen the first half thing, though I've heard Klopp mention it...

Regardless though, I go back to what I say fairly regularly, mistakes happen in football, VAR doesn't apply to wrongly given corners, throw ins, drop balls etc etc, and even aside from the near 2 minutes between restart and goal Forest had multiple opportunities to clear their lines. No sympathy whatsoever, and this Clattenburg fiasco is pathetic. What's he going to do, lean on the refs so none ever make a mistake again?

Agree with the above. 

Also fuck them and their tory, poverty and disaster chants they kept doing during the game. Rather sing about the above then their own team.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Regardless though, I go back to what I say fairly regularly, mistakes happen in football, VAR doesn't apply to wrongly given corners, throw ins, drop balls etc etc, and even aside from the near 2 minutes between restart and goal Forest had multiple opportunities to clear their lines. No sympathy whatsoever, and this Clattenburg fiasco is pathetic. What's he going to do, lean on the refs so none ever make a mistake again?

agreed, it's hardly surprising that one guy and however many assistants referees have now including the VAR aren't going to get everything 100% correct in a game that involves some of the best athletes in the world doing things at high speed that is also happened to be being watched by a few thousand people in the stands and millions of people potentially watching around the world.

I do admire Forest for their commitment to time-wasting though. Two players were booked for time wasting when they had a corner and the guy who went off injured limped as slowly as humanly possible until he got off the pitch and then he was just fine. The keeper took a knock from Jayden Danns and spent ages down too.

Come to think of it, after all that time-wasting, they lost to a 99th-minute goal.

I've seen more people from media companies, pundits etc fuming over this then VAR not doing its job for our goal against Spurs

• Like 1

Both goals in the Manc derby were proper screamers. 

Shame City have levelled it like

6 hours ago, Colly said:

The complaint is that the drop ball should have gone to Forest in the first place, which is absolutely correct. I'm not convinced it's a foul on Konate either but the ref certainly didn't give that, so it's definitely an error. And I haven't seen the first half thing, though I've heard Klopp mention it...

So this is not actually correct, from what my referee friend has pointed out. It's actually a drop ball to Liverpool because he was blowing the whistle/in the process of blowing the whistle when the ball was still in the box. The whistle may have been blown delayed because he was checking to see if Konate was getting back up, but the way the referee saw it was when he blew/was about to blow the whistle, the ball was still in the box, or had last been touched in the box. When that happens, it's a drop ball for the keeper.

The only thing Tierney did wrong was not blow the whistle immediately when Konate went down with a head injury, as he should have.

But you are right about the referee making an error seeing as Konate got kicked in the face, and also from a high boot!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DavidMarrio said:

I've seen more people from media companies, pundits etc fuming over this then VAR not doing its job for our goal against Spurs

I saw that earlier and was genuinely baffled. Monumental is doing an insane amount of lifting (lord knows what will happen if a throw in is given the wrong way next week), and the interviewer actually tries and fails to rein him in. It's such a non event that's been inexplicably blown up because all anyone wants to talk a about now is refereeing. 

• Thanks 1

The older you get the more you pay!

Unless eligible by 2024/25 you'll never get an OAP ST discount. Ever. Doesn't matter if you live til 100.

This bit is disingenuous (if not entirely false) because the linked statement clearly explains that Seniors will still get a 25% discount on season tickets, phased down by 5% a year until 2030 to bring it in line with the same discount Young Adults currently get.

On 26/01/2024 at 12:13, FestiveJack said:

Congratulations Liverpool fans - because Steven Gerrard was unwilling to wait just two more seasons at Rangers, you're spared the spectre of a mass media campaign to get him the Liverpool job.

Condolences Liverpool fans - despite Steven Gerrard being unwilling to wait just two more seasons at Rangers, you haven't been spared the spectre of a mass media campaign to get him the Liverpool job.

• Haha 1