NFL 2023

Lineker

Bill Simmons thinks Belichick will end up with either the Chargers or Commies.  Chargers would seem to be an attractive landing spot for him because of Herbert.  If I’m the Chargers though I tell Belichick he’s strictly a coach now, not a GM like he is in New England.

Also, if the coaching record really does mean a lot to him, it’s probably frustrating as hell to Bill to know Andy Reid’s actually on a trajectory to pass him anyway.  If he decides to coach for the entirety of Mahomes’ career he’s got a minimum of 10 wins a year for the foreseeable future, often many more especially with the playoffs.

No hyperbole, this is the best Lions team I've seen. 

I had a good feeling we might finally be heading in the right direction when Holmes took Sewell in 2021. 

I think my feelings have been vindicated. The Lions are winning physical football games and setting the tone. We're playing complimentary (get the fuck over me saying "We") football and doing so with some style. 

I've never seen a coaching staff like we have now in Detroit. We coach aggressively, we coach creatively, and we put our players in spots to best utilize their skillsets. Contrast that to the undisciplined Schwartz teams, the vanilla as fuck Caldwell coaching, and whatever the fuck Patricia was (horrible coach that also alienated his entire team)?

We didn't blow Tampa Bay out but we outplayed them from beginning to end. It was a good tough match up, the Bucs have a tough D. 

We have had plenty of injuries as well but our depth is stepping up. Holmes is cooking and building something here.

• Like 4

Lions are very much the team I'll be pulling for out of the NFC.  Likable and a great story.

Would love to see them somehow get to the SB and play the Bills or the Bengals or something.  It's not very often that a Super Bowl between two teams that have never won it before is actually in play.  Though the Dolphins are almost 50 years removed from one so I can throw them in there too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VerbalPuke said:

I had a good feeling we might finally be heading in the right direction when Holmes took Sewell in 2021. 

I think my feelings have been vindicated. The Lions are winning physical football games and setting the tone. We're playing complimentary (get the fuck over me saying "We") football and doing so with some style. 

I've never seen a coaching staff like we have now in Detroit. We coach aggressively, we coach creatively, and we put our players in spots to best utilize their skillsets. Contrast that to the undisciplined Schwartz teams, the vanilla as fuck Caldwell coaching, and whatever the fuck Patricia was (horrible coach that also alienated his entire team)?

We didn't blow Tampa Bay out but we outplayed them from beginning to end. It was a good tough match up, the Bucs have a tough D. 

We have had plenty of injuries as well but our depth is stepping up. Holmes is cooking and building something here.

Next week's going to be a big game. Ravens have a very tough D anchored by Roquan Smith who is playing the best football of his life and Kyle Hamilton (assuming he doesn't get suspended for a reckless hit yesterday). Lamar has never been more efficient as a passer and he's being rewarded with better opportunities to get out of trouble with his legs. Detroit is top to bottom in a similar class, great defense and super efficient offense.

PFF is very high on both teams. Baltimore has fucked itself by losing at home to a not good Indianapolis team and can't really afford a loss, meanwhile Detroit is going to run away with the North one would suspect. Motivating factors for the Ravens have to treat this as a must-win.

I was half tempted to buy a ticket a few weeks back and then I got tickets for ALCS Game 6 (which ain't happening LOL). Will be a lot of Lions fans there I bet given how many people from all over Michigan live in between Philadelphia and Northern VA for work.

1 hour ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Next week's going to be a big game. Ravens have a very tough D anchored by Roquan Smith who is playing the best football of his life and Kyle Hamilton (assuming he doesn't get suspended for a reckless hit yesterday). Lamar has never been more efficient as a passer and he's being rewarded with better opportunities to get out of trouble with his legs. Detroit is top to bottom in a similar class, great defense and super efficient offense.

PFF is very high on both teams. Baltimore has fucked itself by losing at home to a not good Indianapolis team and can't really afford a loss, meanwhile Detroit is going to run away with the North one would suspect. Motivating factors for the Ravens have to treat this as a must-win.

I was half tempted to buy a ticket a few weeks back and then I got tickets for ALCS Game 6 (which ain't happening LOL). Will be a lot of Lions fans there I bet given how many people from all over Michigan live in between Philadelphia and Northern VA for work.

The Ravens seem to always be good, and I think Lamars running ability could be a difference maker. We need Gibbs back because Momtgomery is going to be out a few weeks it looks like. I think we're damn good and a loss to the Ravens won't change that, but a win and I might start believing we're playing for home field advantage in the playoffs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

4 hours ago, Busch Wyatt said:

Lions are very much the team I'll be pulling for out of the NFC.  Likable and a great story.

Would love to see them somehow get to the SB and play the Bills or the Bengals or something.  It's not very often that a Super Bowl between two teams that have never won it before is actually in play.  Though the Dolphins are almost 50 years removed from one so I can throw them in there too.

Right now, other than the Cowboys (obviously), I'm pulling for the Lions to go to the Super Bowl. But I'm sadly expecting it to be the 49ers.

• Like 1

From a Yahoo article on the Patriots and Belichick's crappy season:

"He is saddled with a quarterback whose only shot at being a franchise centerpiece again is if he buys a McDonald's."

Mac Jones caught swearing multiple times in Patriots win, says he's not  frustrated - masslive.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a whole lot of uncertainty with QBs in this year's draft class too. Caleb Williams has been consensus number 1 for a calendar year but is showing a lot of cracks this season. Drake Maye is generally thought highly of and then you work your way down to someone like Quinn Ewers or Shedeur Sanders or any number of the players who occasionally look amazing before they then look average.

I’ve not dig into the data but you really have to think the number of underclassmen declaring for the draft will steadily decrease every year.  You’ll always have a few no-doubt first rounders who make the jump.  You’ll have some guys who even after a career year are projected to go in the middle rounds and just take the plunge anyway with seemingly nothing left to prove at college.  But the incentive to leave early has never been less.

We also have to be coming up on the end of the COVID-era eligibility exemptions too, so I’d expect the number of “old” NFL rookies we’ve had in recent years to go down as well.

37 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Why kick a field goal and take a lead when you can fail miserably on a QB Sneak? 4D chess level coaching, thanks Fat Mike.

4D chess from Brandon Staley too.

This is a battle of which teams poor coaching choices will bite them last.

• Haha 1

I obviously wanted the Cowboys to win, but I also wanted Kellen Moore to do well just to prove that the problem is McCarthy. However, Brandon Staley just looooves being just as, if not worse than McCarthy. Good lord. 

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Well that was unexpected