NFL 2023

Lineker

On 22/10/2023 at 10:55, gunnar hendershow said:

I would assume Pats fans if really pressed on it would take a very long winter in exchange for the nearly 20 years of dominance they had with Brady/Belichick + even the Parcels/Bledsoe years where they finally were not a moribund franchise. But all this is going to lead to is Belichick not being remembered as fondly as he could've been if he wasn't singularly obsessed with catching Shula.

I'm 38 and don't know what it's like for the Patriots to be trash.  Yeah the Super Bowls were great, but now we have expectations.  The longer Bill keeps losing, the more it looks like it was Brady than a team effort.

I'd have fired Bill after last season.  I'd do it now.  I'm assuming they'll get blown out in Miami.  This roster is a testament to Bill having an ego and being stuck in 2008.

Yeah ya'll will deserve whatever decades long spiral of mediocrity the franchise falls into.

And no, I'm under no illusions that the Cowboys didn't deserve theirs too.

1 hour ago, Lowerdeck said:

The longer Bill keeps losing, the more it looks like it was Brady than a team effort.

Honestly, having a great QB and doing the things the Pats did is probably just as hard as being a terrible team that every year hopes they have the next great QB. Brady got more rings than the likes of Romo, Brees, Peyton, Favre, Rivers, and Ryan, Warner combined, all QB's who hover somewhere between being a legit all time great to being amongst the best of the Brady era, all of them in the top 10 of retired QB's in terms of career QBR.

But the current issues with the Pats also shows how fucking hard it is to be a football team without that great QB, and I think the biggest fault on the Patriots side is having Belichik be both GM and Head Coach at the same time, where it's obvious that a lot of the work came from the Patriots front office to build those great teams, and not just Belichik.

I think Belichik's success is very much connected to Brady's, but they have helped each other achieve the heights they have, on top of great coordinators and scouts that got all the right tools together to turn one of the best QB's into a guy that won six rings for them.

That's not something the Falcons, Cowboys, or Chargers can claim, despite having QBs with equal ring winning greatness.

Never knew i'd turn into a Patriots apologist, but here I am.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JasonM said:

Honestly, having a great QB and doing the things the Pats did is probably just as hard as being a terrible team that every year hopes they have the next great QB. Brady got more rings than the likes of Romo, Brees, Peyton, Favre, Rivers, and Ryan, Warner combined, all QB's who hover somewhere between being a legit all time great to being amongst the best of the Brady era, all of them in the top 10 of retired QB's in terms of career QBR.

But the current issues with the Pats also shows how fucking hard it is to be a football team without that great QB, and I think the biggest fault on the Patriots side is having Belichik be both GM and Head Coach at the same time, where it's obvious that a lot of the work came from the Patriots front office to build those great teams, and not just Belichik.

I think Belichik's success is very much connected to Brady's, but they have helped each other achieve the heights they have, on top of great coordinators and scouts that got all the right tools together to turn one of the best QB's into a guy that won six rings for them.

That's not something the Falcons, Cowboys, or Chargers can claim, despite having QBs with equal ring winning greatness.

Never knew i'd turn into a Patriots apologist, but here I am.

:huh:

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

Yeah ya'll will deserve whatever decades long spiral of mediocrity the franchise falls into.

And no, I'm under no illusions that the Cowboys didn't deserve theirs too.

Tony Romo being given a contract extension is the moment that I realized the Cowboys aren't winning a Super Bowl, let alone getting to one, as long as Jerry Jones is owner. 

F9dgEElXoAArM4F?format=png&name=large

The NY writers are getting on Daboll a bit after he said matter-of-factly a few weeks ago that he was definitely returning this year.  But I mean, can you really blame the guy for getting a bit short when he's been asked the same things over and over again every day for 3 weeks?

With a neck injury, they have to give him all the time it takes.  I do think there's a chance he's done for the year.  And weirdly the timing works out right now for the Giants because Tyrod Taylor has been getting the ball downfield and, even if nobody says it publicly, I can guarantee some of the offensive players on the team would get annoyed if Jones just got handed the job back right now.

• Like 1