NFL 2023

Lineker

Can’t really even begin to do proper mock drafts until the Bears make it clear what they’re going to do with the #1 pick.  Panthers traded with them on March 10th and I’d guess a resolution would be sometime around there this time as well.

Plenty of rumors out there that Caleb Williams doesn’t want to play in Chicago.  Caleb doesn’t have to decide until January 15th but if he truly wants to ensure he avoids Chicago he can stay in college.

If that happens the demand for Drake Maye will only increase.  They could feasibly sell the pick again for another king’s ransom, possibly to the Giants or another top 10 team.  They could decide to take Maye themselves and build around a QB on a fresh rookie deal, even though Fields has played well this last month.

Or they could decide they’re committing to Fields by simply drafting him one of the best WR prospects ever in Marvin Harrison Jr.

53 minutes ago, Busch Wyatt said:

Can’t really even begin to do proper mock drafts until the Bears make it clear what they’re going to do with the #1 pick.  Panthers traded with them on March 10th and I’d guess a resolution would be sometime around there this time as well.

Plenty of rumors out there that Caleb Williams doesn’t want to play in Chicago.  Caleb doesn’t have to decide until January 15th but if he truly wants to ensure he avoids Chicago he can stay in college.

If that happens the demand for Drake Maye will only increase.  They could feasibly sell the pick again for another king’s ransom, possibly to the Giants or another top 10 team.  They could decide to take Maye themselves and build around a QB on a fresh rookie deal, even though Fields has played well this last month.

Or they could decide they’re committing to Fields by simply drafting him one of the best WR prospects ever in Marvin Harrison Jr.

Apparently Williams liked a tweet that said the Bears should trade the pick which is fine by me I'd rather we keep Fields. I'm not smart enough to figure out what we should actually do but at the end of it I desperately want Harrison to be a Bear

• Like 3

The thing is, Chicago could feasibly trade back a couple of places and still get Harrison, depending on how the draft order shakes out. Have to think the Pats and Commanders will both want a shot at a QB, either Williams or Maye.

• Like 1

The Giants’ subreddit going nonstop posting Tommy Cutlet memes for 3 weeks only to now be sitting here 2 weeks later bitching and moaning that they’re pretty much locked into the #5 pick (when would’ve been close to a lock for #2 if they’d lost just ONE of Tommy’s 3 wins) is very typical.

I joke about tanking but honestly I still don’t think there’s any really excuse to sit there and actively root for your team to lose unless there’s off field stuff (like if your team signed DeShaun Watson) or your coaching/GM etc is so bad that your team getting embarrassed is the only way to ensure a regime change (such was the case at the end of Judge/Gettleman era).

The last thing the Giants need is another coaching controversy, and no matter how good Daboll was in 2022 if the team got blown out all season like they did in the first 2 months, there would be questions on how he could’ve let it all fall apart that fast.  The team playing competitive football and winning some games is more important IMO.

There are players in the top 5, top 10 etc that bust every year.  There’s still a crapshoot element to it all.  Don’t moan when professionals find ways to win football games.

• Like 1

Tanking doesn't create a lot of value in the NFL either. For a lot of reasons, the teams that are regularly competitive are nailing picks in the later rounds and often go in to a draft with a stockpile of them (from trades and comp picks).

Jonathan Ogden is the only all-time great Raven drafted in the top 5. Terrell Suggs was drafted 10th, Reed and Lewis in the 20s, Lamar at 32, and then an embarrassment of Pro Bowlers and others later on or entirely undrafted (like Justin Tucker, Gus Edwards, and Bart Scott). It's why NFL franchises often operate, and refer to themselves, as "a program". It's kinda corny but it makes a ton of sense, the good teams are built around a particular identity and style. When a Mahomes or Jackson or Hurts comes to you, you adapt your style around them but beyond that you're finding players (especially in the later rounds) who suit what you do well.

That's the biggest reason these teams giving GMs/head coaches under 4 years is idiotic no matter how bad things seem at first. You need to give them the equivalent of a college class to really establish whether their vision for the team is viable.

• Like 3

I'm assuming that most of the people that don't think Lamar should be MVP are just looking at his stats and not watching him play.

I think it should be CMC, personally. Not biased at all, as a 49ers fan. If the Dolphins had a better record, Hill should be in consideration as well. If I was voting, it would be CMC first, Lamar second, Purdy third.

Eagles sticking with Matt Patricia as defensive play caller

Sirianni said that Sunday’s performance wasn’t up to the standard the team wants to set, but that they will “continue in that direction” regarding Patricia calling the plays.

So glad that we will continue to perform not up to standard!

• Sad 1

It takes a combination of a non-QB doing something historic AND the QBs all having underwhelming statlines AND a QB not clearly being the biggest reason for a top seeded team being as good as they are.

The latter point makes it nearly impossible to not give the award to a QB on its own.  Pretty much by definition the QB is always gonna be the most valuable player on the field at any given time.

They really could just rename MVP to Best QB and OPOTY to Best Non-QB and it would more accurately reflect the way the viewers interpret those awards.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

CMC I can see beating Lamar, but not Purdy.

Purdy only could because he has the stats. But, it's clear as day to anybody that watches and not just looks at stats, that Lamar is the sole reason Baltimore is as good as they are. Without him, they're middle of the league, if that.

An interesting wrinkle for this weekend is that if the Steelers win and the Bills lose, Pittsburgh is in. If the Jags and Steelers both win, and the Bills lose, Buffalo misses the playoffs entirely.

There's going to be a lot of hand-wringing if Baltimore does the expected and rests the stars on Saturday to avoid injuries in a snow/ice/rain game.

• Haha 1