The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

Trying to play the Bioshock 2 multiplayer......no one is playing! I've been trying for ten minutes to get into a match

Theres a good reason for that Ruki. Boishock 2 is, in my opinion, last years finest example of why multiplayer is not needed for every game out there.

It was tacked on, rough on the edges and really a second hand lion vs the aforementioned COD.

Its unfortunate that many companies think they can make an 8 hour game and tack on multiplayer and think it counts as a full game. Unless the game is specifically made to BE a multiplayer game, it usually fails in this regard and comes out looking worse than if they had just made a solid 20 hour game.

I think it really depends on the game. I'd rather have a very good 8 hour single player experience a lot of the times then a good multiplayer game with a tacked on 2 hour single player campaign.

Yeah thats kind of what I was getting at though. Like, COD type games have a single player mode but in the end its the multiplayer that people play for. So in that instance, the single player feels tacked on (maybe not specifically that game, but that genre)

Whereas the reverse is true too. Bioshocks multiplayer is a joke and the main story could have been flushed out more with the efforts of people who instead had to design its multiplayer.

I mentioned 20 hours as a goal as to me its a pretty decent length to play a game. You pick up a game new for 60 bucks, thats 3 bucks an hour of play, cheaper than a movie. Nowadays its more like 12 is reaching the limit for most action games.

I am hardly a COD veteran (Black Ops is the first game I've owned) but their single player games are actually prettty decent. Yes, obviously in that game, multiplayer is the key selling feature. And yes, Bioshock's multiplayer is a joke.

It reminds me of the development of Van Buren: the directors at Interplay said "Okay, so we've made millions selling game of the year candidate single player turned based roleplaying games, but we need to make billions damnit. Make the game a real time multiplayer game NOW!"

You have to make up your mind as to what your focus is. If you do something well, do it, and fuck everything else.

Exactly. And of course youll note I said "of that genre" when speaking about COD's single player. I think its safe to say that company knows where its golden goose is, and is willing to put a little more effort on single player than most other straight forward multiplayer games would.

Off topic here.

The company has announced its intentions of Modern Warfare 3 this year. Thoughts on it turning into the next guitar hero? A little too much all at once spoiling peoples appetites?

The best thing about Call Of Duty is that it's going to end up with 2 games a year and never a game developed by the same studio as all of their old developers continue to sue themselves in the legal rambling equivalent of a circle jerk.

Bwahaha. Yeah, pretty much.

I don't know what's more hillarious, the absurd claims of sabotague levied in the Activision/EA lawsuits or the essentiall grade school insults being hurled in the Bethesda/Interplay lawsuit. The games industry is so fucking absurd these days.

In other news, Duke Nukem Forever is coming out.

Trying to play the Bioshock 2 multiplayer......no one is playing! I've been trying for ten minutes to get into a match

Theres a good reason for that Ruki. Boishock 2 is, in my opinion, last years finest example of why multiplayer is not needed for every game out there.

It was tacked on, rough on the edges and really a second hand lion vs the aforementioned COD.

Its unfortunate that many companies think they can make an 8 hour game and tack on multiplayer and think it counts as a full game. Unless the game is specifically made to BE a multiplayer game, it usually fails in this regard and comes out looking worse than if they had just made a solid 20 hour game.

I managed to get into a team deathmatch...and yeah, I agree, the multiplayer was basically in there just for the sake of multiplayer. It was ok, but it is shit compared to CoD in that department. Oh well, I am enjoying the single player experience.

The concept is brilliant, I mean who wouldn't want a deathmatch where you shoot lightning, fire and bees at people? Trouble with it was that it wasn't very stable at launch, so a lot of people abandoned it early. I should give it another go sometime, if I ever get to finish the story.

Just finished The Force Unleashed 2. Little to no replay value, and I feel ripped off. If I didn't already know that GameStop kinda' screws with you as far as store credit goes, I'd trade it in.

On the plus side, I just got the AAA wrestling game, and it looks relatively fun. Non-THQ developer, though, and Konnan is the narrator. System seems somewhat intuitive, and copied off of a variation of the No Mercy system, so it could be fun. The only disappointment? No 3v3 matches. Which is weird, given that it's a game based around Lucha.

Either my Xbox is on it's last legs or Fable 3 really hates my system. Twice yesterday I tried to play and it froze during start up. Cleared the cache and all was good.

Today? Same thing....just cleared the cache after two failed load-ups. If I have to do this every time I have to play Fable 3 I am going to be fucking pissed.

Edit: just did a quick google search, looks like a lot of people are getting the same problem.

Edit 2: This game is very glitchy....I walked into the academy, and then the chicken race announcer says "Avenger wins!!!"....even though I did the race like 5 minutes ago <_<