The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

52 minutes ago, VocalVomit said:

Any of you play Aven Colony? Looks neat. 

I’m looking to try something new. X-Com 2 looks cool, as does Prey. Kind of looking for Sci-Fi stuff.

XCOM 2 is a lot of fun, but it's challenging - not as much as the early '90s XCOM games, but still quite punishing. XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within are probably better bets if you're starting out with the series.

57 minutes ago, VocalVomit said:

Any of you play Aven Colony? Looks neat. 

I’m looking to try something new. X-Com 2 looks cool, as does Prey. Kind of looking for Sci-Fi stuff.

Prey is a lot of fun! One of my favorite games of 2017.

Played some Friday the 13th last night. They've added offline play vs. bots, and fixed a lot of issues regarding framerate and graphics. It runs a lot smoother on console now. Oh - and they added Jason from Part 5 (who isn't really Jason but the kids who play this don't seem to actually know that so whatever...).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Played some Friday the 13th last night. They've added offline play vs. bots, and fixed a lot of issues regarding framerate and graphics. It runs a lot smoother on console now. Oh - and they added Jason from Part 5 (who isn't really Jason but the kids who play this don't seem to actually know that so whatever...).

Roy! I still really want to pick this up, and they keep adding value to the $55 price tag, but my experience with online games makes me cautious about spending that much.

37 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Roy! I still really want to pick this up, and they keep adding value to the $55 price tag, but my experience with online games makes me cautious about spending that much.

There are still some issues. One big one is that if the host leaves a game, it ends the game. The other is how long it can take to get into a game. Sometimes you wait almost 10 minutes, the host gets killed right away, and then everyone gets kicked. It's annoying.

On 2/9/2018 at 07:53, Toe said:

He's not really Jason?

16 minutes ago, BuddyAwesome said:

He's not really Jason?

I'm unsure if you're being serious or joking, but in case you or others did not know... Friday the 13th Part 5 spoilers ahead.

The fifth movie does not include Jason Voorhees. It's essentially a psychological horror film, where Tommy Jarvis suffers from PTSD due to his encounters with the Crystal Lake Behemoth. The movie asks the question of whether the deaths are actually a resurrected Jason Voorhees, a copycat killer or Tommy himself. The big reveal is that it was a copycat, dressed up like Jason (but not wearing the typical mask, which was the first sign that something was off). Roy Burns was revealed as the killer. He was a paramedic whose son was killed by a troubled teenager, which sent him into a downward spiral and led to his rampage as "Jason".

It can be argued that there was something wrong with Roy prior to his son's death though, as his son was living in a home for homeless teenagers and did not know that his dad was the paramedic. So, basically, Roy was a troubled piece of shit before his son that he abandoned died, and then after it happened, the guilt probably drove him insane, causing him to adopt the persona of acclaimed mass murderer Jason Voorhees.

It wasn't the best Friday film by any means, but the team deserves recognition for trying to take it in a new and interesting direction. The movie itself was pretty good, but that may just be me absolutely adoring the Friday the 13th series.

On 2/10/2018 at 20:16, BuddyAwesome said:

I haven't seen the movies beyond the first, Manhattan, Goes to He'll, and X in a long long time. I really want to again though especially after getting hooked on the game. My PSN handle is ogbuddyawesome if anyone else wants to join in!

The Virtual Cabin was also added with the update, and it's jam-packed with trivia from the whole series. Worth checking out!

• Like 1

Sony still wants 60 for a digital copy of No Man's Sky. That's a nice way to make sure I get a 15 buck used physical copy from elsewhere.

16 hours ago, =BK= said:

Sony still wants 60 for a digital copy of No Man's Sky. That's a nice way to make sure I get a 15 buck used physical copy from elsewhere.

The weird thing with digital is that quite often, games that are ridiculously cheap at a shop are stuck at regular price, but when they do bring them down in price, it slaughters what the stores can do. I believe No Man's Sky was $5 or $10 digital at one point. $15 for a Previous Man's Sky isn't too bad though.

• Like 1

So I'm looking for recommendations as I don't play a wide variety of games. A buddy and myself generally just play online with each other so I'm looking for good two player multi-player games and a big bonus if it's got a co-op campaign mode. Call of Duty and Diablo are the ones we have played the most but it's time for something new. Elder Scrolls is something else that we both have already so that's up next but looking for other options also. Any suggestions would be fantastic 

6 minutes ago, Trey said:

So I'm looking for recommendations as I don't play a wide variety of games. A buddy and myself generally just play online with each other so I'm looking for good two player multi-player games and a big bonus if it's got a co-op campaign mode. Call of Duty and Diablo are the ones we have played the most but it's time for something new. Elder Scrolls is something else that we both have already so that's up next but looking for other options also. Any suggestions would be fantastic 

I'm not sure if it has online co-op, because I tend to avoid that, but BroForce is ridiculously fun. If you're into fighters at all, Injustice 2 is brilliant. The RPG system, Multiverse and online play will keep you busy for a long time if you're heavy into customization. The story mode is single player only, but it's essentially just there to explain why the characters are the way they are, and to get you better at playing the game. The story is pretty rad though.