The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

3 minutes ago, Japanicode said:

What's the price for the remaster? I might pick it up.

£35 on the store. Slightly less at Game. Tesco direct are listing it for £30. Haven't checked Shopto, but they might go slightly less than everyone.

Edit: Just shy of £33 with Shopto. 

Sony really needs to get their asses into gear on backwards compatibility/making PS Now a more viable option, cause Microsoft is blowing them out of the water there. Honestly, the only reason I didn't get a X1 this time around was because of the creepy privacy concerns, which they backtracked on later anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SHAMNADA said:

It's tempting - but at the same time it's already backwards compatible on the One so I don't see what a remaster can really gain for me.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I got it for free a while back when it was part of the games with gold. It does look quite dated though. And as well as the graphical update, the fact you get all the DLC and a chance to unlock all of the trophies again (imagine they're the same) in the Remaster means I don't mind putting the money down for it again.

37 minutes ago, SHAMNADA said:

I don't even know what skills I can learn - the controls seem so simple but I knew that there had to be something deeper going on. It's my understanding that the first set is pretty standard but then the ceiling hits you hard on each of the games.

Yeah, very much so. The key is learning how to sideshift - both to turn corners at angles, and to get you quickly moving after you come to a halt. That and learning when and what weapons to use and what to absorb. It will infuriate you at points, but it's absurdly satisfying when you pull parts of it off. Barrel rolls are similarly important and can be a major difference between 1st and a distant 2nd. Once you have them mastered, it's just learning the tracks more than anything.

Oh right, I totally forgot about weapon absorbing... because I saw that it was a button and I meant to look up what it does and never got around to it. The game doesn't really tell you all that much, what is the point of absorbing? And besides barrel rolls is there any other way besides the boosters on the track to get speed boosts? The game never really told me anything so I've just been driving, shooting and using the air brakes to do hard turns.

Absorbing restores your shield and gets rid of the power up, which in later difficulties you will need (the AI is relentless with weapons in later difficulties, and you will crash more because the higher speeds are absurd). You don't really need it at all in the early going. Barrel rolls, speed pads and the speed power up are obviously the big ones. There's also a mild slipstream but it's not great and at higher speeds it's near impossible to take advantage of anyway. The big thing in speed is crash/weapon recovery, and sde shifting (double air brake) to quickly get moving again. As you go up in speed class you will be begging for the slower speeds to come back, trust me :lol:

Finished Wolfenstein 2 yesterday evening, really enjoyed the game probably more so than the first one however the ending was very sudden which was the only downside of the game for me really. 

My plans coming up before the release of Far Cry 5 and Yakuza 6 is to finish the Life is Strange bonus episode and Batman episodes. I've made a start on Beyond a while back which I need to just sit down one evening and just smash through. 

I recently got my TV and PS3 set up in my flat and also accidentally started an Amazon Prime trial yesterday, which I might as well take advantage of. Any recommendations?

The newest game I bought on release was GTAV and the newest game I have at all is Arkham Knight. I enjoy games which focus more on story modes than online play.

10 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Horizon. Go hunt you some big ol' robo-dino boys.

That just reminded me of a friend referring to a T-Rex as, "the big man from Jurassic Park".

• Like 1