The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

29 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Is it easy to jump into the new God of War even if you didn't play the old ones?

I'd say yeah.  The story doesn't really seem steeped in the story of the previous games, and all the mechanics are new this time around.   It would be good to familiarize yourself with Kratos' backstory, but that can be done pretty easily  (its a bit convoluted)

• Thanks 1

Yeah that's the video that I watched to catch myself up on the story - I don't feel like I'm missing anything, and the ingenious thing about the kid is that Kratos (probably not wanting to give a shit about anything God related anymore) is entirely ignorant of Norse lore - but his wife has taught the kid everything, so if you're wondering something there's a good chance that Kratos is going to ask the kid it, and you'll learn at the same time or later.

@Maxx,

The way the game naturally worked in who The Stranger was through Kratos sneaking in a question to Arteus was amazing.

Detroit: Become Human demo has dropped for those including me wondering how exactly it plays and if it is worth buying day one. Demo's aren't used much these days but this is a game I am very glad has one.

If we didn't have demo disks we'd never have got the WW1 themed Sensible Soccer, that alone should be enough reason for people to still do them.

I would love if more companies released demos and little side content like that to get a feel for the game. Doesn't need to necessarily be anything story based, something to get used to how it runs ,controls and the theme of the game is all I ask.

• Like 1

I got a ton of gameplay out of PS1 demo discs - plenty of demos long enough and substantial enough that I never felt the need to buy the full game. Probably why they stopped making them. And then there were Net Yaroze games! Terra Incognita! Halcyon days.

demo-terra-2.png

Bravely Default's demo on the 3DS was a really fun idea, in that it was a self-contained little story to get you used to the gameplay mechanics and the feel of the game, but not give away any of the story, or result you in having to play the same bit over again once you bought the full game. And completion of the demo awarded you items and bonuses for the full game, too. No reason more games can't offer something like that.

• Like 2

Here's the full list:

6 hours ago, Skummy said:

I got a ton of gameplay out of PS1 demo discs - plenty of demos long enough and substantial enough that I never felt the need to buy the full game. Probably why they stopped making them. And then there were Net Yaroze games! Terra Incognita! Halcyon days.

Net Yaroze was great for making little memories that have stuck in my mind. Terra Incognita's English translation, Psychon's theme tune and Total Soccer's vowel-swapping of professional players' names were particular highlights, but nothing will beat The Incredible Coneman's bass riff.

• Like 1

I liked Beyond Two Souls, but remember, I like games that many others don't think so much of.

It got my emotions going VERY well and I thought it was an interesting story, well told. Also some of the moments were very good and there was plenty of time at the right points to just exist in the game for a little while.

It's not wham bam action though and I DO prefer Heavy Rain.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I liked Beyond Two Souls, but remember, I like games that many others don't think so much of.

It got my emotions going VERY well and I thought it was an interesting story, well told. Also some of the moments were very good and there was plenty of time at the right points to just exist in the game for a little while.

It's not wham bam action though and I DO prefer Heavy Rain.

Oh cool! I wanted to pick up Beyond, and now here is my chance. Although, with Detroit coming out next month, I likely won't get to it in a bit (since I still have to finish Ni No Kuni...and I want to pick up GoW)