The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Grrr...really wanna click those Detroit spoilers, but the company is skummy so I'm waiting until it starts coming out pre-played

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Owen said:

Hold up. There's going to be a MediEvil remaster? How is this is the first I've heard of this?!

You must have missed it. To be fair, it was announced at the Playstation Experience in December, and they haven't mentioned it since. I'm guessing they'll show more at another conference later in the year.

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

You must have missed it. To be fair, it was announced at the Playstation Experience in December, and they haven't mentioned it since. I'm guessing they'll show more at another conference later in the year.

Or apparently I knew about it and just forgot because I found your post where you linked the trailer and I'd already liked it! Either way, I'm excited for it! I'm going to be spending a lot of money on video games this year...

Being tighter on funds these days, I've been having to hold off on games until they stop being £45 or £50.

Finally one of them dropped so I could pick up Kingdom Come: Deliverance for £28 from Tesco.

Far Cry and Detroit will have to wait, as much as I really want them. We Happy Few will join the list in August.

• Like 1

Well...fuck you too, Detroit.

Everyone died. EVERYONE.

Kara, Luther, Alice, North, Josh, Simon, Connor....and I'm likely gonna make Markus die in the next two minutes here

Edit: Nope! Markus lives...after leading to a complete civil war. Thought he was gonna nuke the city.

Such a bad ending. I suck at this game.

• Haha 2

Yeah they announced it during E3.

Speaking of, here are some details on the Ghost of Tsushima.

• It’s an open world game.
  • The game is grounded and realistic.
  • The trailer we saw last night is not part of the main story, it’s a side quest!
  • Landscapes range from the swaying bamboo forests of the countryside, to the urban centers of ornate castles.
  • There a lot of stories in the game that you may not find them all.
  • Main storyline will be Jin vs. the Mongols.
  • The game is a original work of fiction they are not rebuilding history stone by stone.
  • He’s had to go beyond his samurai training in order to fight back against the Mongols.
  • The theme of the combat is “mud, blood, and steel”. Expect to get dirty and muddy.
  • Possibility of other weapons but they’re only showing the katana right now.
  • Sucker Punch teases that Jin’s combat style abandons some samurai techniques, swapping them for the “violent grace of a silent assassin”.
  • Jin has learned to use a grapple hook but this is not part of his samurai training. He’s had to learn new tricks to silently kill the Mongols.
  • Strong focus on minimalism for the graphics, you see the things that are more pronounce.
  • “Movement” is the environment theme, expect everything to move - blowing trees, windy fields, falling leaves.
  • Everything you can see in the background you can go to such as a Pagoda and Mongol ships, you have the freedom to go where you want at your on pace.
  • They want to give players a lot of navigational options.
  • There will be a minimal game HUD but they’re not showing it just yet.
  • Looks like there’s a photo mode.
  • You can play the game with a Japanese voice track.
  • The main character is called Jin Sakai.
  • Jin’s nickname is “The Ghost of Tsushima”.
  • Jin has become a “legend” in Japan called “The Ghost”.
  • You can ride a horse, and that horse’s name is Nobu.
  • Expect that level of detail (E3 2018 trailer) in the whole game.

Leaked info: •Samurai were the most respectable people in Japan, people bow to Jin as he passes by on foot or horseback, but samurai were also feared; some women and children will attempt to hide or flee at the sight of Jin, while others will attempt to attack in order to prove themselves, or take some of the valuable gear a samurai would typically carry. This all helps to make the world feel alive and immersive. Not sure how often these civilian interactions occur. Each outpost has a story behind it and a quest line, not just “take out these soldiers and you retake the village”. Villages can be retaken by Mongols if you do not complete the quest line.

•The game has two central towns (think Witcher 3), and many smaller outposts / villages. There are NPCS who can help train you in the ways of the Ghost, as for a Samurai, it would be a completely different form, and dishonorable way, of combat. Don’t expect Jin to be able to right out of the gate know how to throw shuriken, use kunai, use alchemy (poisons, create potions, and explosives), use grappling hooks to get on top of rooftops, quickly, etc.

•2 major skill trees with many branches; which are way of the samurai, and way of the ghost. Samurai focusing more on sword play, archery, and defense, while ghost focuses more on stealth, alchemy, and agility.

•Samurai skill tree is fully unlocked from the start, while ghost requires you to complete tasks in order to unlock a specific branch, such as working with an alchemist in order to learn poison abilities, or to create potions with strong effects.

•You will be free to switch between samurai and ghost kits. Jin in full samurai armor won’t be able to climb buildings (you can still jump, don’t worry) or swim/dive, and would be fit more for a defensive, all out attack build. This can be balanced out however by mixing kits. You switch by going into any outpost / town, there you will also be able to sleep in order to pass the time, so if you prefer to tackle a mission at night as a ghost, or at day as a samurai, it’s up to you.

•So for a more grounded approach, samurai is recommended.

•Think of climbing buildings as a faster paced assassins creed. Tenchu style grappling hook makes it even faster.

•You don’t necessarily want to be seen in your ghost kit, as people may take you for an assassin and will sometime be hostile toward you. The game recommends you to be the ghost at night, but samurai at day. Some quests will only be handed out in your samurai gear, or only in your ghost gear, such as assassination requests. Double agent type of system and story to back it up.

Does Uncharted get better after the first one? I've had the collection and the fourth one for a while and I want to play them in order, but I get so bored going over sequence to sequence that is basically the same thing in the first game.

I sat down with it tonight and I'm at the jet ski part at least that plays a little bit differently.

Most people would agree that Uncharted 2 is significantly better than the first game. The games are all quite contrived in that Naughty Dog clearly design the levels around the possibility of elaborate action set-pieces, but they're done well enough that it fits in with the whole action film vibe. I didn't find Uncharted 3 quite as interesting as Uncharted 2, thanks in no small part to a particularly tedious section, but it's still a lot of fun. Uncharted 4 is my favourite, which doesn't seem to be the most popular opinion, mainly because I enjoyed the story the most. Gameplay-wise, it's not very different from its predecessors.

On 12/06/2018 at 23:04, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Being tighter on funds these days, I've been having to hold off on games until they stop being £45 or £50.

Finally one of them dropped so I could pick up Kingdom Come: Deliverance for £28 from Tesco.

Far Cry and Detroit will have to wait, as much as I really want them. We Happy Few will join the list in August.

Game any good? I'm tempted by it. 

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Game any good? I'm tempted by it. 

I really like it. Make sure update completes before playing it though. Textures aren't the best, particularly of buildings, but as it's literally geographically and historically based on the Bohemia area in 1403 then it just looks and feels more realistic than anything else in that respect. Last night I was hiking across countryside at dawn and it just FELT right.

If you like the idea of your clothing, dustiness, weapons you carry and actions effecting how people react to you, your visibility, speed, agility, how you are perceived in world....

...If you like having to sleep, eat, drink, wash and repair clothes ingame at regular points, with food going rotten and clothes and armour degrading over time...

....If you can accept that you're not a Dragonborn or superpowered juggernaut, but a peasant who can get chopped down within seconds by even the most average guard and that you're a bit part in a major story, just trying to survive and complete a small personal promise...

....if you can accept a real depth to sword fighting, that archery has no aim cursor and you truly can't fire an arrow accurately beyond about 5 metres to begin with....

....That lockpicking and pickpocketing are complicated, prone to failure...

Then you'll love it. I do. It feels real.

Played the first bit of God of War last night, up to the part with;

Spoiler

The fight with the Stranger

And god damn, that might be my favourite video game moment of all time. Up until that I thought it was all a bit generic. It was good and the combat was fun but I wasn't quite getting the hype. Now I am. Holy shit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ollie said:

Played the first bit of God of War last night, up to the part with;

Hide contents

The fight with the Stranger

And god damn, that might be my favourite video game moment of all time. Up until that I thought it was all a bit generic. It was good and the combat was fun but I wasn't quite getting the hype. Now I am. Holy shit.

So good!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so playing through Kingdom Come, the storyline has taken me to a new town to track down some bandits who massacred a stud farm. Whilst there I learn how to read (which is done well as the writing is still kind of jumbled but mostly readable...and it even hits you with jumbled up Latin....finally my 4 years of Latin at school helps me out a little) and I also question folk and investigate about this bandit guy.

Then I meet a priest who agrees to give me some information if I meet him at the inn that evening and from there it goes bonkers....

We start by discussing previous events surrounding my character and then a little about his past. Then we discuss at length Jan Hus' teachings about the Pope and the corruption of the Catholic church....which is great as someone who has studied Church history and the Reformation - including the build up to it).

Then the priest asks if I want to drink with him that night. I choose yes and from there it just goes downhill quickly.

Cutscenes of drinks with him and his concubine, more drinks, then dice, then the serving wench putting her arm on my shoulder, then more drinks, arm wrestling with a cheering crowd around us, then more drinks, cuddles with the wench, more drinks, my character falling to the floor drunk and then the bayliff coming in with two heavies to have a go at us and kick us out for making such a racket long after closing time. We then get kicked out and the priest asks me to help him.

So it cuts back to game again and we have a punch up with a few villagers.

Then it cuts to outside the church and he's fumbling with the lock as me, the wench and his woman wait around outside and he invites us up in the middle of the night to the belltower to ring the bell in the middle of the night as the priest pukes out of the window.

Then it's downstairs to the "climax of the evening" where blearily I see him and his lady shagging in the corner of the room and the wench walks over naked and climbs on top and my character looks all happy.

Then cut to a sunny field, very blurry vision and the priest "baa baaaing" to a flock of sheep in front of us that the two of us stagger towards in the long grass as the sun rises where he says something about it being an amazing night."

Then we're being woken up and he has to give mass but he's too hungover and so now I'm about to go into the church with him and after he does the blessings etc, I, a hungover, tired, uneducated bloke who kept the town up all night and got drunk the night before and upset the locals, have to string together some kind of sermon.

Brilliant.

A typical Sunday morning then.

Here's a video someone recorded of it if you're interested.