The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

• 2 weeks later...

nw-31205-1 DNS Error

Yeah so fuck moving.  After a freaking SAGA and a half to get my internet service up and running (fuck you very much Comcast) I am now getting this lovely error when trying to get the PS4 onto the webs via my wi-fi.  I looked and there are NO solutions to this online.  I tried the "fixes" I did find to no end (imagine that).  I even reset my ps4 to the default settings and the initial internet set up produced the same error.  The kicker is that it worked for the first two days.  I played it this freaking morning.  

Does anyone have any clue on how to fix this?  

18 minutes ago, Benji said:

PSN is having issues. Probably nothing your end.

Juuuuust saw the reports about the huge ddos attack and such ... freaking wonderful.  An hour and a half of pulling out hair I don't have just for it to be a bunch of douche balls being douche balls.  YAY

Thanks for the response though

• Like 1

I worked at Game for a couple of years before the shop closed and we all lost our jobs, and I can't remember any store practice then that I'd have been more ashamed to push than this one. With the customer backlash on social media being as bad as it has been, I don't see this lasting long.

I quite like the idea of VR, but it doesn't look as though it amounts to much right now beyond the initial "wow" factor because the games are generally little more than tech demos. If it truly does become a big part of the industry's future, that's fine, but I'm not going to fork out hundreds of pounds on a piece of technology that may or may not be the forerunner for something that might be great one day.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I quite like the idea of VR, but it doesn't look as though it amounts to much right now beyond the initial "wow" factor because the games are generally little more than tech demos. If it truly does become a big part of the industry's future, that's fine, but I'm not going to fork out hundreds of pounds on a piece of technology that may or may not be the forerunner for something that might be great one day.

Remember Playstation Move? Wii Motion Controls? The Nintendo Virtual Boy? VR is cool technology that might one day be a big part of gaming, but if there's one thing that I can always say and feel 100% confident about, it's that video game gimmicks will never out-perform the core gaming experience of taking a game, putting it in your machine, picking up your controller and sitting down on your couch to play on your television.

I predict that Playstation VR will only last if Sony treats it as an accessory to the PS4 core experience, but can still provide top notch VR experiences for their customers who decide to dive into the new gimmick. If Sony tries to push VR too much and it becomes a focal point of the PS4 experience, it will fail. If they don't support it with enough Triple-A titles that really take full advantage of what the VR headset can offer, then it will fail.

Virtual reality is in it's infancy. It is without a doubt going to factor into how we consume all forms of media in the future, but for right now the technology is simply not there to make it an affordable price point or to have that one experience that has everybody rushing out to buy the thing. I definitely want a virtual reality headset, but I have no qualms waiting for a bit. 

• Like 1

I wanted one for Cinematic Mode, but people who have used it told me that if that's a major factor for me, that I will be sorely disappointed. I'm told that the resolution and frame-rate in cinematic mode looks like garbage compared to just using my television. Anybody here have a VR headset and care to weigh in on that?

Considering all the talk of the screen door issues and problems with text then yes I'd imagine the quality won't be as good. 

To me that's the biggest thing they need to fix. I'm not interested in VR for the games (they'd just be a nice addition). VR to me would be the ability to experience a concert/sporting event from the front row without leaving your house. Especially if they could work out a way to make it less exclusionary (so you could easily communicate with your friends or whatever that are also 'there').

It's that which separates it from any other type of media. My partner has just the shitty one that works with Samsung phones, and even using that if you watch the 360 videos it actually makes you feel like you're there. Plus it's a massive space saver. If everyone ends up sitting down with a helmet on their head then you suddenly don't need a 50"+ television.  

But because to me the biggest feature would be using it for experiences more than gaming I'm quite happy sitting back and letting them work out the kinks. I think at worst they decide the technology isn't there and rest it for a few years, I can't see it being abandoned completely.

Have they said whether or not the Sony VR headset will fit properly on people with glasses? I haven't looked into it all that much. I do know that there just isn't enough games coming for it on release that appeal to me. If it's a success and developers continue making games for it, then it's a possibility down the line.