The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Don't care, would probably never play those anyway. Literally the only reason I'm even entertaining the idea is for New Horizons and maybe some Nintendo Classics off their store. Thanks!

Well, the "classic" games aren't available to buy individually like they were on past Nintendo systems. The Switch Online membership gives you access to a range of NES and SNES games, but that's currently the only way you can play any old games.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, iDOL said:

does anyone have an island that spawns sharks?

That's not how islands work in New Horizons; they're randomly generated and are always in the same season that you're in (not like the one in New Leaf where it spawned things like it was perpetually July). Nobody has "an island;" every time you leave, it's a different one. Honestly we're kind of in an awkward season for money fish since sturgeons just left, so your best bet is probably to go to an island and try to fill it with tarantulas (go at night, break every rock, pull up every flower bloom, cut down every tree, and pull up every stump--I don't think it works if the island has three physical levels). When you make those changes, you can run around scaring off non-tarantula bugs since the only ones that will spawn will be tarantulas, wharf roaches (on the sea rocks), mole crickets (ignore these), and water beetles (2,000 bells each so you might just catch some of these too, but tarantulas sell for 8,000).

On 04/04/2020 at 20:32, RPS said:

love the outfit. 

I have so much stuff in my closet it's just unreal, the ability to buy like six different colors of every skirt and pair of socks is absolutely driving me to bankruptcy.

Also I'm mad at this game now.

Edited by Sousa

1 hour ago, Sousa said:

That's not how islands work in New Horizons; they're randomly generated and are always in the same season that you're in (not like the one in New Leaf where it spawned things like it was perpetually July). Nobody has "an island;" every time you leave, it's a different one. Honestly we're kind of in an awkward season for money fish since sturgeons just left, so your best bet is probably to go to an island and try to fill it with tarantulas (go at night, break every rock, pull up every flower bloom, cut down every tree, and pull up every stump--I don't think it works if the island has three physical levels). When you make those changes, you can run around scaring off non-tarantula bugs since the only ones that will spawn will be tarantulas, wharf roaches (on the sea rocks), mole crickets (ignore these), and water beetles (2,000 bells each so you might just catch some of these too, but tarantulas sell for 8,000).

Ah didn't realize that - I know the islands you get a Nook Ticket to go to are random, but I thought maybe by visiting a player's island perhaps in the opposite hemisphere would give you different types of fish and bugs.

Already knew about creating Tarantula Islands, but I'm so bad at actually catching them that I end up going for the giant moths on the trees and catching only a few spiders 😆

1 minute ago, iDOL said:

Ah didn't realize that - I know the islands you get a Nook Ticket to go to are random, but I thought maybe by visiting a player's island perhaps in the opposite hemisphere would give you different types of fish and bugs.

OH! In that case, yeah, it's best to just wait until June because sharks just went out of season in the southern hemisphere.

My son (he’s almost 4) and I are making a carnival/fair on our island. He loves this game so much we’ve had to institute some rules on screen time for the first time ever. When we aren’t playing he wants to watch YouTube videos for tips and tricks.

A217-CFCE-A6-CC-4-AA8-8-E2-F-B3-EDE305-D

He’s also obsessed with catching bugs and fish and stacking them outside of his house. About 1/4 of the island is taken up by rows of his own private “zoo”

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sousa said:

I have so much stuff in my closet it's just unreal, the ability to buy like six different colors of every skirt and pair of socks is absolutely driving me to bankruptcy.

Also I'm mad at this game now.

The outfits are amazing. I love that everything can be worn by whoever.

Delving into retro games from my childhood to pass the time.

Playing Starfox 64 and have now realized that all of Fox McCloud's flying partners are complete dicks.

Falco: passive-aggressive, jealous shithead

Slippy: worthless and shitty at his job and always needing you to bail him out

Peppy: speaks in catch-phrases and reminds Fox constantly of his dead dad. Joy-kill.

Edited by completeunknown
  • Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 01:09, iDOL said:

He’s also obsessed with catching bugs and fish and stacking them outside of his house. About 1/4 of the island is taken up by rows of his own private “zoo”

Oh, I didn't realise you could place them outside the house, I thought that would just release them. A "zoo" is a great idea, I might give that a go. 

I currently have a pet hermit crab (HERMIT CRAB!) and snapping turtle in my house, but every other duplicate critter I've sold so far.

I just took a Nook ticket to an island that was covered in cherry trees. Like, every single tree on there. It was the only fruit I didn't have, and I came away with like 80 of the things. Enough to plant them liberally all over my own island and make a tidy profit selling off the remainder. A very successful day!

@Sousa, I love the idea of the DIY area, and have started to build one of my own. It's only a slight concern, as all the materials there are easily replaceable anyway, but would the stuff left out there be up for grabs by someone visiting the island, if they felt like just stealing it all?

I really like the online community for Animal Crossing, come across so many helpful people just wanting to share and help others. 

An example is some German guy I got talking to on twitter cause his turnip price was 500 odd bells so we got speaking for a bit and he was really nice. Gave him some furniture that he liked the look off and I could sell my turnips for about 600k profit

9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Does anyone know a good system to play old nintendo games on? I mean actual old cartridges. There are just so many of them it's hard to know what's good

Ideally, I'd recommend getting the system itself and a tube television.

Short of that, the Retron units tend to be spoken of favorably by people I've come across who wanted something they could plug into HDMI and/or that would play multiple systems.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 13:05, Skummy said:

@Sousa, I love the idea of the DIY area, and have started to build one of my own. It's only a slight concern, as all the materials there are easily replaceable anyway, but would the stuff left out there be up for grabs by someone visiting the island, if they felt like just stealing it all?

Yes, it definitely is. A way to mitigate this is to close off part of the work area when you have people over, with a fence or a big piece of furniture. But everything that's "dropped" (all materials, DIY recipes, furniture/clothing that's not "placed" instead) is fair game to be picked up by anyone who visits your town... but none of them can move furniture or remove fences.

• Like 1

I'm trying to get through Luigi's mansion 3 before I start on animal crossing, but it's feeling like a bit of a slog at the moment. Every section just feels like they are one or two sections too long to complete to get to the next bit.

On 08/04/2020 at 02:22, completeunknown said:

Delving into retro games from my childhood to pass the time.

Playing Starfox 64 and have now realized that all of Fox McCloud's flying partners are complete dicks.

Falco: passive-aggressive, jealous shithead

Slippy: worthless and shitty at his job and always needing you to bail him out

Peppy: speaks in catch-phrases and reminds Fox constantly of his dead dad. Joy-kill.

Rick May, who voiced Peppy, has just died with Covid-19. He also voiced the Soldier in Team Fortress 2.

• Sad 1