The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm enjoying the cutesy charm this game has, stuff like catching the bugs and what not. It'd be quite dry to just say "You caught a carp!" so it's nice they throw the puns in. The characters are very expressive as well which helps since everything is text based essentially since all the sound is gibberish. I say cute, it could very easily go too far and be very saccharine but so far it seems like there's enough to dial it back a bit. Like, Gulliver is very blase about the fact that he keeps waking up face down on a beach, as if it's happened so often that it's sort of lost all meaning at this point? Or Blathers, Blathers is really cool. He has a total geek chique thing going on with his bow tie and the patch on his belly that looks like a sweater vest. He's just really enthusiastic about the fossils and his weird tangents make me want to hear what he has to say about everything rather than just dump my inventory on him and run away. Like, I just handed in a Eusthenopteron fossil and he ended up pondering what life would be like if everyone lived under the sea. Really doesn't like bugs though, again that helps take the edge off that overly happy tone.

Looks really nice too, there's something very soothing just standing on the beach in the twilight, watching the waves lap the shore whilst my villager happily plays the Ocarina. I think I was a little worried about how grindy the game would be, it can feel a little like a glorified freemium game at times between collecting materials and the way it drip feeds content. But on the other hand, it does give you something to look forward to when you next load the game up to see how things have progressed. I mentioned Twitter the other day, it seemed like everyone being at roughly the same pace (unless you're a time traveller) enhanced this community feeling. Like, one example was someone mentioning the museum and how grand it was (totally right BTW, massive TARDIS situation going on there) and their friend was still a couple of days behind, only for them to come back after those two days and be like 'OMG'.

• Like 1

Several sources are reporting that Nintendo is planning to release remasters of several old Mario games this year. Venturebeat claims that this will include Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World, which will have new levels added. I'd be well up for all of that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Several sources are reporting that Nintendo is planning to release remasters of several old Mario games this year. Venturebeat claims that this will include Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World, which will have new levels added. I'd be well up for all of that.

I saw Galaxy had been reported somewhere else too. Really hope Sunshine does too! 

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Give us the original Mario Party 64, damn it!

If they release Mario 64 on the Switch, I'm totally getting that.

There are so many Nintendo 64 games that I would love to have again. I had a dozen or so on the Nintendo eShop for my Wii, but that's long gone now. I have a 64 console, but only a couple of games. And no tube TV.

My wife is going crazy in lockdown here. I never have any issue keeping myself occupied, but I can see that the self-isolating is giving her a real hard time. I'm thinking about getting Animal Crossing for her, because she said she's interested in it and it seems like something that she can really get lost in.

Would I be incorrect in comparing it to The Sims, except... with more aim? She likes The Sims a lot, but finds that she'll play it heavy for a week and then get bored of it. I believe it's because there are no real goals to the game. I mean, I could be wrong entirely because I haven't played Sims myself, but it seems like she makes her family, builds her house, plays around in the world for awhile and then loses interest.

It seems to me like Animal Crossing has more of a Point A to Point B to Point C type of gameplay while still being very much an open world that you customize and play with. Is New Horizons something that I should invest in for her, or will she end up putting it away after a few days like she does with The Sims? I just don't want to drop $80 on a game that I myself have no intention of playing, if she isn't going to get lost in it.

A million bells for Jughead's crown?

1 hour ago, Sousa said:

I made a little work area next to where my house is about to be.

love the outfit. 

I see people bitching about Bunny Day eggs and stuff, but I legit just crafted all the items with the eggs and cashed it in for like 20K bells, so I am not mad. Also, the balloons are cute, so I gave them to a bunch of villagers. 

My villagers so far are Boots (muscle gay Alligator), Apple (YASS QWEEN), Clyde (aloof horse, but cute), Frita (I hate her), and Merengue (make up and outfit on point). 

• Like 1

I think if I can swing it with the stimulus check I might get a Switch Lite and New Horizons. Switch Lite is just handheld, right? No TV? How does that work? Does it just come with a dock for charging?

3 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I think if I can swing it with the stimulus check I might get a Switch Lite and New Horizons. Switch Lite is just handheld, right? No TV? How does that work? Does it just come with a dock for charging?

I think it has a mains charger which connects to the Switch with through a USB port. As for your other questions, the Switch Lite is just a handheld system. The Joycons don't detach, so a few games, like 1-2 Switch and Super Mario Party, won't work with it.