The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

6 hours ago, Sousa said:

In the interest of fairness, you can only marry a student--and reach a point where your relationship becomes something like romance--after an in-game five-year time skip, which technically means you've been apart from the students longer than you've known them, which makes the result... yeah still kinda weird.

(Especially with students like Lysithea, who starts the game at 15 years old.)

The ethics of it are so messy, though. The second you can envision a romantic relationship with a student in the future opens up ethical issues I just do not want to confront in a game.

I just bought a Switch yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

• Let's Go Pikachu is awesome and bringing back so many memories of playing Red/Blue when I was a kid.
  • Mario Kart 8, while super repetitive, is pretty fun and I'm currently trying to 3 star every stage in every class of race. I've got the 50cc mode down, so now I'm onto the next one.
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is surprisingly good - I say surprisingly because I'm not usually into those types of games at all. Of course I died after 15 minutes of playing, though.
  • I bought 1979 Revolution: Black Friday, but I haven't played it yet. Add that to the pile of LA Noire, Everspace and Ultimate Alliance: Black Order (which are coming tomorrow).

I've fiddled around with the Super Nintendo selection of Online, but I don't care too much about it since I have a Retropie setup. I mean, if they ever add Earthbound (or N64 stuff) then I'm all over it, but don't worry because I know they won't, but it's nice to have there if I suddenly feel like playing Super Mario World or something.

Edited by tristy

Super Mario Maker 2’s online creations are still shit. Nothing but automated levels where you run through and hear music or the same ridiculously difficult levels with death traps and insanely precise jumps. I wish I wouldn’t have purchased this game

One day there will be a Super Mario Maker that will allow me to make my dream Mario course: A story-driven noir narrative where Peach is framed for the death of her father and Mario is a grizzled PI looking to clear her name.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

I’m playing Fire Emblem I don’t know what I’m doing but I chose the blue guys coz he seemed nice, the yellows were a close runner up. Am I wasting my time grind battling on my days off?

What difficulty are you playing on? If you're on the Normal setting, certain battles can be completed as many times as you like without using activity points. Therefore, the only possible issue would be having to pay for weapon repairs. The Hard setting means that all battles cost activity points.

I tend to battle a couple of days a month. Then I can use the other days to explore the monastery and increase my skills, as well as increasing student motivation through bonding bites.

On another subject, the new Animal Crossing is apparently very good. I've never played one before. If I find The Sims annoying, but like Stardew Valley a lot, how likely am I to enjoy Animal Crossing? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

I’m playing Fire Emblem I don’t know what I’m doing but I chose the blue guys coz he seemed nice, the yellows were a close runner up. Am I wasting my time grind battling on my days off?

I usually do a mix of grind battling and going to the monastery to boost motivation on my Saturdays. On your first run through the game (FE has probably the best New Game+ of any game I've ever seen) it's worth doing those battles because leveling is slower and they give you Renown, which you'll be able to cash in later to make leveling up quicker. The major issue you'll have is money, especially before the blacksmith opens, as you'll wear out your weapons quicker. But getting everybody to level 5 so you can promote them out of the Commoner/Noble classes is a good idea--you might consider mastering the class to get HP+5, but that's not a particularly great skill.

In Blue Lions your ideal second promotions are probably like:

Monk: Mercedes, Annette
Fighter: Ashe, Dedue
Soldier: Ingrid, Dimitri, Sylvain
Myrmidon: Felix, Byleth (on your first playthrough it's a good idea to keep Byleth on swords, get Myrmidon and Mercenary)

One thing with regard to recruitment: you'll get to a point later where you'll want a Dancer, which will happen naturally through the plot, and Blue Lions is the one house that doesn't have a really great option. Felix can in theory do it, but he's probably the best Swordmaster in the game and it's nice to have him able to play to his strengths. You might consider sucking up (gifts, meal invites, cook meals with them, tea time) to one of the decent Dancers from Golden Deer or Black Eagles. Dorothea and Marianne both make good choices since they've got good growths in swords and magic. Of the two, I'd probably pick Marianne because the white magic she learns complements Mercedes's selection really well, but if you'd like one other ranged healing user, Dorothea learns that. If you have the DLC, the best Dancer in the game is Yuri by a wide margin, but you need to actually do the DLC mission first and it's... not something I'd recommend for your first time playing? I can't imagine you'd enjoy it much without that extra context.

Beyond that, you can focus on whoever you want to recruit and maybe find a niche for them--or do no one other than your Dancer, as you'll get a ton of faculty joining in Blue Lions and can just take them for a whirl. In my Blue Lions run I had a great flying group with Ingrid, Ashe, and Seteth that were mobile enough to keep archers at bay and were pretty much the core of my front line.

I really like Three Houses sorry.

@Bobfoc, what annoys you about The Sims? That could help with a recommendation.

17 minutes ago, Sousa said:

@Bobfoc, what annoys you about The Sims? That could help with a recommendation.

I find the game a bit too "needy". I'm constantly chasing after the characters' lifestyle requirements and it becomes like a second job, rather than something fun to relax with. I think what's put me off Animal Crossing before is that the game world continues to develop in real time, which makes it sound as if your village gets unkempt and wild if you don't play every day. What I'm looking for is something that I can play at my own pace, without a background gimmick making it seem like more of a chore than a form of entertainment.

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I find the game a bit too "needy". I'm constantly chasing after the characters' lifestyle requirements and it becomes like a second job, rather than something fun to relax with. I think what's put me off Animal Crossing before is that the game world continues to develop in real time, which makes it sound as if your village gets unkempt and wild if you don't play every day. What I'm looking for is something that I can play at my own pace, without a background gimmick making it seem like more of a chore than a form of entertainment.

Yeah, if you're worried about having to manage things a bit day-to-day, Animal Crossing probably isn't the game for you. I figure what's appealing to you about Stardew Valley is it's not an obligation; you put it down and it stays put down, and if you pick it up again in six months it's exactly the same as it was. I haven't seen anything to suggest new Animal Crossing is a change from that.

• Like 1

• Haha 1

I had some eShop credit left over, so I bought Animal Crossing. It's really nice and relaxed. The real-time clock is perhaps not my favourite thing, but it could be quite nice to look forward to a little pottering about every day. The Nook Miles game mechanic, which I understand is new, is a great way to incentivise me to get things done. It sort of makes grinding not feel like grinding because there's always a short-term goal to strive towards.

Should probably be grateful that nowhere has a Nintendo Switch in stock at the moment...for the sake of my bank account. :shifty: 

Honestly didn't expect it'd be a game like Animal Crossing that would motivate me to get one, but here we are.

I've lost quite a bit of time in just the 2 days I've had Animal Crossing. Can zone out just smile and go about my business on it. Especially if I've felt anxious about anything it's the perfect game to do so

• Like 2