General Television Thread

Hellfire

I watched about twenty minutes of the first episode. Thought is was absolute shite, like a high school drama club version of The Witcher.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I binged watched Into the Night on Netflix over the past few days. Very enjoyable!  You can tell the budget isn't huge, and there's definitely some scientific leaps, but I found the cast quite compelling in the 6 episodes we got. Glad its got a second season. 

I was pretty disappointed. 

I'm a huge fan of the comics, but had very much distanced myself from that and was just hoping to enjoy the TV show as its own thing. I thought the first season was decent and set itself up to really leap in quality - but was totally let down by the characterisation and the arcs - it just felt kinda flat. Enjoyable because of its aesthetic but was a bit let down on this one. 

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Four years late, finally getting around to the last season of Wilfred (US). Such a unique show. Entirely get why it got very limited appreciation, but something about Elijah Wood comedies just have a special place for me.

Elijah Wood, for me, is a lot like Daniel Radcliffe. I love that they are both so selective about what they do, and they aren't concerned about mainstream appeal as much as they are about how interested they are in the project. I really enjoyed Wilfred. It's one of the better comedies that can go to really dark and depressing places without disrupting the flow of the show.

A new American Ninja Warrior is coming in September. They taped all 8 episodes in St. Louis in the Rams' former stadium.

HOWEVER.....defending champ Drew Dreschel will not be part of it, because he's been accused of raping a minor several years ago! 

The original creators left the Avatar remake for Netflix and the current rumor is that their issues were:

- Wanting a bigger budget to properly pull the show off

- Not wanting to cast any white actors, with Netflix not wanting to limit auditions at all

- Not wanting to age up the cast in order to add more violence, sex and romance into it

Oh boy. Really looking forward to this now. 🙃

16 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

Eh, that third point doesn't seem so bad honestly. Its already a violent show, but the romance bits would be kind of awkward with Aang being eleven or whatever. 

And to make things weirder still, the eleven-year old may or may not be considered over 100 years old too.

13 hours ago, Rukaru Shida said:

Lovecraft County premier was tonight. Anyone watch it? I've only seen previews but I'm curious about it.

Loved it!

People don't like it for a few really stupid reasons.  Typical conservative "DEPICTING RACISM IS WRONG" shit, then there's the people who don't understand that it's based on a book and not some true to form Lovecraft adaptation, and finally there are the idiots who for some reason decry a lack of realism in a work of fantastical fiction, who I assume don't enjoy any work of fiction, because how the hell can you when you whine about a main character surviving dangerous situations?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maxx said:

Loved it!

People don't like it for a few really stupid reasons.  Typical conservative "DEPICTING RACISM IS WRONG" shit, then there's the people who don't understand that it's based on a book and not some true to form Lovecraft adaptation, and finally there are the idiots who for some reason decry a lack of realism in a work of fantastical fiction, who I assume don't enjoy any work of fiction, because how the hell can you when you whine about a main character surviving dangerous situations?

I'm about 10 minutes from the end of the episode, and I've learned a lot and holy shit... I never knew that 'Sundown Counties' or the green travel book were a thing. That's upsetting AF. Not upsetting? Watching racist cops get eaten by a monster.

5 hours ago, Rukaru Shida said:

I'm about 10 minutes from the end of the episode, and I've learned a lot and holy shit... I never knew that 'Sundown Counties' or the green travel book were a thing. That's upsetting AF. Not upsetting? Watching racist cops get eaten by a monster.

Yeah, Marcus Parks from the Last Podcast network noted at one point that he grew up near a town that had "Don't let the sun set on your black ass" as a sign up during the sundown times.