World Cup 2010 Thread

That Julie Foudy you just mentioned is on ESPN2 right now actually

Thanks! Missed this show earlier in the day today. Foudy is definitely good. I'm guessing Tommy Smith will be doing the games. Bob Ley and Chris Fowler being over there to handle the studio work is not bad either. I haven't seen who else they sent as analysts aside from Foudy and Lalas. At least ESPN is going all out this time. They've sent a whole bunch of people to cover this. In 2006 they did the PBP from a studio in Bristol, CT.

This "virtual playbook" is pretty cool.

Alexi Lalas. He looks trustworthy so it must be the case. USA! USA! USA! :w00t:

He used to look like this.....

alexi+lalas.jpg

Do you still trust him? :shifty:

Do any of you know someone with a 3D TV? ESPN is actually airing 25 games in 3D.

Edit: Looks like Mike Trico is there too.

I get neg repped for that? Ahahahahahaha.

That's how I'll be laughing tomorrow when we beat England.

God, I wish the US would win the Cup, just to see the rest of the world's reaction we we don't give a fuck. It'll be awesome. I can see it now...

'The United States has won the World Cup, up next on SportsCenter, NFL training camps!'

Ahahahahahahahaha

Nah, it should be fun. I love the World Cup. Best event in sports. Just don't take it too seriously, I'm just talking shit.

• Like 2

I actually didn't mind the USA until I started reading so many pathetic things from Landon Donovan. I actually think he's a good player, but fuck he seems like one hell of a dick. Looking forward to his and the rest of the USA tears tomorrow :)

Going to have a bet later today on a few accumulators. Also two separate bets of Italy to win the tournament as well as Rooney top scorer/England to win the tournament. Rooney looks a decent shout at 10/1 if we can actually make it far in the competition.

I hate time differences. Still, at least I shouldn't miss TOO many matches due to work. The three standard times for the World Cup matches Japan time are 8:30pm, 11:00pm and 3:30am. England have two 3:30am games and one 11:00pm game. Japan has one of each.

Those are the games I HAVE to watch (though depending on the day I may be home too late for Japan's 8:30 game). Then I'll probably watch as many Aussie games as possible as I have a few Aussie mates over here and I'll try to catch the Dutch games and play the rest by ear what with work, the need to sleep etc...

Genius.

Anyway, FINALLY the day has arrived. Hoping for two great games today, but kind of expecting two draws. Uruguay surprise France at the start and score, France eventually get back and then the two sides just settle with a draw. I predict both @ 1-1 but I hope not. Hope to see France go DOOOOWN.

Some interesting stats I researched (but probably didn't need to):

- Pretty well known fact, but no Host nation has ever failed to qualify from the group stages (and in th two world cups where there was no group stage, both hosts won their first round match). Although Spain and the USA only qualified via goal difference, and in USA '94 they were still using "best third placed teams go through" and the USA were one of those.

- No Host nation has ever lost their opening match of the tournament, although there have been several draws, including England 0 - 0 Uruguay, and we all know what happened there...

- Six host nations have won the tournament they hosted (Uruguay in the first ever world cup, Italy in the second, England, Argentina, West Germany and France). But of those, England and France haven't managed to win it again on foreign soil, so the argument could be made that three of the other four would've won it anyway, no matter where it was held. Surprisingly, Brazil didn't win the world cup in Brazil (the only one of the Big Four not to win it at home), but that was a clusterfuck of a tournament anyway because the final four teams were all entered into a round robin league instead of doing it sensibly and Uruguay won.

- There have only been three occasions where the World Cup winners came from a different hemisphere to the hosts - all three times it was Brazil (in Sweden, the USA and Korea/Japan). So Brazil look likely, since history says Spain aren't allowed to win. ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil

A bit of info that has fuck all to do with anything...I played those drums for the best part of a week last summer, and got paid a couple hundred quid for it. Good times. They fucking knack your hands.

Opening ceremonies are fucking shit.

Edited by YI