World Cup 2010 Thread

I just filled out a wall chart with my predictions. I've got the two semi-finals down as England vs Holland and Argentina vs Spain. I don't know why but I've got a feeling Argentina are going to win this one.

Same here but I got Holland going over Argentina, I'm clearly biased though :pervert:

I just filled out a wall chart with my predictions. I've got the two semi-finals down as England vs Holland and Argentina vs Spain. I don't know why but I've got a feeling Argentina are going to win this one.

Same here but I got Holland going over Argentina, I'm clearly biased though :pervert:

Well I'm biased towards England, too. But it doesn't mean I'd put my money on them actually winning it.

I'm putting a tenner on England winning. It means I win either way.

If they don't win I will be most pleased, and I won't care about losing a tenner.

If they do win at least I will have £80 to put towards drinking until I can pretend it didn't happen for the next four years. >_>

I like England and all their players, but the media will be torture over here when they eventually win as we basically share the same media it and that makes me feel queasy. I suppose I could cope with it because of the hilarity that was 'Bitchfest 2006' when apparently according to the media Ronaldo was the only reason Rooney got sent off, nevermind the nutstamp on Carvalho. :rolleyes:

Still thogh I bet the Henry 'incident' was funny to everybody else too. The cunt.

Edited by The Cool One

So I just did another prediction thing on the BBC website (which has awesome graphics and music!) and I've still got Brazil beating Spain in the final but there's a few things that interested me:

- I picked Uruguay to top their group because Forlan and Suarez are probably the best strike force there. None of the teams are great at defending, though I sense South Africa will be hard to beat. I thought Uruguay and France would both beat Mexico, but Uruguay would beat France.

- Group B is probably the hardest for me to pick the runner up. I don't think it will be Nigeria, but it could be Greece or South Korea. I went with Argentina to win and decided that South Korea are better at attacking than Greece, so I put them through. Setting up an interesting second round tie with Uruguay, which would be very favourable for England.

- I then had England get past Serbia, probably 1-0 in the 80th minute, and comfortably beat South Korea in the quarters. If France don't top their group, I think it's pretty likely we'll get to the semis. I'm still sceptical though.

- Netherlands vs Brazil and Argentina vs Germany will be awesome quarter finals. I'd expect Brazil to take the former, but either team could take the latter - went with Germany in the end though.

- So I had England vs Brazil and Spain vs Germany in the semis. Brazil and Spain are just so much better, I really can't see them not making the final. Then Germany to beat us to 3rd and Brazil to stifle Spain and beat them.

Edited by Pesci

Have to agree with you Pesci, it's a good bit of software. It certainly cures some boredom at work!

Went slightly different to you though, I think England will end up with Germany in the 2nd Round, I think Serbia are the dark horses this year. We could on paper have one of the most, probably the most difficult route. I've got us to go against The Germans, France, Brazil and then play Argentina or Italy in the final.

I'm quietly confident though, but that's probably more to do with the fact I have a lot more faith in the ability of Capello over SGE.

Rooney is more mature and electric at the moment, Lampard is in top form, Crouch always scores for England. I could go on, but I won't.

Buzzing for Saturday, watching the game in town with about 30 friends, the atmosphere is going to be electric!

- So I had England vs Brazil and Spain vs Germany in the semis. Brazil and Spain are just so much better, I really can't see them making the final. Then Germany to beat us to 3rd and Brazil to stifle Spain and beat them.

I signed up for the EWB one over at ESPN, and that is my final four. But I have Spain beating Brazil in the final. I'm so damn excited that I had my wife clear everything off the DVR last night. I plan on getting a big ass sandwich and pigging out all day Saturday.

The guy who were on Sky Sports News with a pub inside his shed was much fucking cooler.

I have 3-crates of Bulmers sitting next to me I'm dying to break into. But waiting for the games to kick off. I picked Bulmers because 1) it was reduced, 2) it makes me feel less like an alky drinking from bottles as opposed to cans, when sitting in the house, not going anywhere. :shifty:

What's the link to the ESPN one?

Who created the EWB Group for ESPN Bracket Predictor. Can someone PM me the password.

I also just created a group for the Pick'em Game which is different from the other one. The group name is EWB. Pw is "ewb". Perhaps someone should edit in both of these groups into the first post of the thread?

I'm hoping someone posts the pw for the 2nd game again because I definitely don't feel like digging through the whole thread.

Gonna be a rush tomorrow. Moving back home from uni, not got much to take back because most of it went a few weeks ago, although my lift probably won't get here until about half 10. Will take an hour and a half to get back at least, so I'm basically going to have to throw stuff out the window to him if I want to get home in time for the opening ceremony.

Sadly I'm busy the entire day tomorrow, which I'm gutted about. I'm going to do my best to make it back home for the France game, if I don't I'll be watching the highlights, hoping some of the opening ceremony is shown on that.

Expecting no real upsets, well, Mexico over SA anyway. And I expect France to pull out a win tomorrow. With basically everybody writing them off already, they're becoming the dark horses for me. Of course I hope I'm wrong though.

Mexico 2-1 South Africa

France 3-1 Uruguay