Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

Would have been interesting to see if Carroll could have been incorporated into Rodgers' plans - just having someone in the centre to give something for Allen/Gerrard/Sterling to aim for and pull defenders away to give Suarez/Borini more room to operate. As Pesci said, the emphasis at the moment seems to be on nullifying Suarez - having someone of Carroll's stature up front could change that. Worked for West Ham against Fulham anyway.

Borini an interview he did with ESPN said he'd like to play in the middle, but he got most of his goals coming in from the left in Italy. I don't think he's a winger, I think we've looked better attack wise when he and Suarez have switched attacking roles (like against Gomel) with Suarez popping up wide or through the middle. Which is something I don't think we've really done in the league yet.

At the moment it's still kind of playing Suarez like he's Torres, but I don't think that's Rodgers so much as the team. Against Arsenal, I thought Suarez was miles too deep and that was because the midfield two (Sahin and Gerrard) were not really in the game.

I often think Gerrard STILL thinks he's playing with Torres up front so he can give him balls have him turn and run at defenders. Really the kind of supply Suarez needs is in box. Or he needs to be allowed to go wide, dribble his way into the box and lay it off for someone to knock it in (see Kuyt's hatrick against United). He gave Morgan a goal like that against Hearts, it was disallowed but it still showed that's what he's probably best at long term.

Borini and Morgan are definite finishers in the Liverpool squad. They're young but if Suarez was supplying them from wide, Sterling from the left. Gerrard/Allen/Sahin from midfield then they'd get goals. Rather than Suarez having to go through the middle and get end up getting frustrated.

Another problem with Borini out wide is that he just doesn't seem to offer much there if I'm brutally honest. He's not the best technically - I think he had the lowest pass completion rate at Roma, and Luis Enrique played a possession-centric tactic much like Rodgers. When he came to Liverpool pretty much every description I read of him had the term "hard-working" in there somewhere, and it seems that he's a tireless player who gets goals through persistence and smart movement. If Suarez was banging the goals in or playing off the last man, maybe Borini could come in and bag himself a few,, but that's not happening. Suarez is clearly more of a goalscoring threat than anybody else we have so I think we need to maximise his chances of scoring, and I think we'll get that if we take the pressure off and he can come in from a wide position once Borini opens up space. Seems like a win-win for everyone. If we keep getting disappointing results in the league and don't try this, I'll be surprised.

As a Premier League manager it's ridiculous that Rodger's can't instruct his players to use an 'X' pass instead of a 'Square' pass to ensure the ball goes to Carroll's feet instead of his head.

I share the disgust that square is shoot, but oherwise agree. Carroll is a finisher, give him the ball in the box and he will score.

I reckon a nice triangle pass if you've got a pacey forward could be the way to go.

The scourge of Fifa clubs. :angry:

'Oh look, your 94 rated striker with a blue afro is 5'2"! Joy!'

• Like 2

As a Premier League manager it's ridiculous that Rodger's can't instruct his players to use an 'X' pass instead of a 'Square' pass to ensure the ball goes to Carroll's feet instead of his head.

Square is shoot :angry:!

PESbian.

I grew up on PES but only play FIFA now, but I still change the square and circle round to make it easier for me to remember. I've tried to adjust and waste way too many good chances punting it over the stadium :shifty:

I reckon a nice triangle pass if you've got a pacey forward could be the way to go.

Either 5'2 or 6'8. They deal only in extremes.

And yeah, FIFA with PES controls FTW.

Of course, if you go back far enough, 'triangle' was sprint. :shifty:

The only way to play.

I remember that, but then what the hell was through ball!?!?