2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

Man the fucking Lions are going to botch this so spectacularly. Part of it is that we'll probably miss out on all three LT's, as it appears that Joeckel and Fisher will be gone before 5, and even possibly that Lane Johnson will also be snatched up by then. There are rumblings that we could be in play to trade with Oakland if the Jags don't take whichever LT doesn't go 1, but I'd be content with us sitting back at five, letting shit unfold, and taking one of the top two guards there.

I'm not buying into the "Guard is a reach at 5" idea, the cap hit isn't what it used to be, it's not a fucking kicker or punter, and it's a guy that can come in and open holes/protect your QB for years to come.

I really hope they stay away from Ansah, the Lions can not afford to draft that big of a project that early when they need immediate help. The fucking guy has barely played college football, and I understand he is this athletic freak, but I just don't see how a shitty team could justify using a top ten pick on him. If we do, I'll fucking vomit.

I'm also preparing myself for the yearly, stupid boneheaded Millen/Mayhew needed a shiny new toy pick. I'm expecting a WR in the second round, but hey, who the fuck knows? Maybe he will surprise me and draft a TE or a RB in the second or third round, and make the fans shit an even bigger brick than if he were to draft a WR early.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most mocks I've seen recently have the Lions taking Ansah. I watched some of his college highlights and came away completely unimpressed. Quite a few of his "sacks" came when the other team's qb held the ball too long or due to pass coverage. I really hope if both tackles are gone, they go after one of the top two guards or I'd even be ok with Milliner. I'd rather see them trade down a couple spots though. I know everyone wants to trade down, but really if the 3 OTs are gone, there's nothing they can get at 5 that won't still be there in some form around pick 10.

EDIT- But yes, like you, I believe the Lions will blow this pick spectacularly. I've kind of had a sinking feeling about it since the draft talk started.

Edited by jase12881

Yeah, initially I was pleased thinking we could land a good LT, but obviously the first time in years we're looking for one, everybody ahead of us also wants one. I'd honestly rather trade up for Fisher or Joeckel than get Ansah. He had 4.5 sacks last year...for a career total of 5 in college, granted college stats are meaningless, it's still a bit telling about how raw of a product we are getting. I think the second round is the best time for a DE, especially when there are guys that can plug in and play immediately (considering we have....3 DE's of questionable quality). Also agree that Dee Milliner is a good option if he's available and none of the lineman are there, it would actually give us a hell of a secondary. You figure a starting group of Delmas, Quinn, Houston, and Milliner would be excellent with a division housing Cutler and Rodgers (add in last years CB's in nickel situations and the depth is good).

We shall see, it seems that every year the mocks can be absurdly innacurate, maybe we come away surprised after day one. I think I'll be alright with any scenario that doesn't involve Ansah, a QB, or Tavon Austin (I like what he brings, but we need to stop with the "weapons for our QB" crap. We have plenty!).

Man, it feels great knowing that on draft day, your GM spent most of the day at the dedication of the Revisionist History Museum, aka the Bush Library.

Please Chip Kelly...no Geno Smith...no Geno Smith...

We took Joeckel. Guy has been projected #1 for the longest time so I'm happy..

Too bad it's #1 in this particular draft. Solid, but unspectacular

The Lions are exceptionally familiar with Ansah, they were basically coaching him for a week in the lead up to the draft. If they botched this pick it calls into question their entire scouting.

Cleveland really really really reached with Mingo. Anything besides trading down would have been bad for them.

And how far does Loutelei drop?

Cleveland really really really reached with Mingo. Anything besides trading down would have been bad for them.

How so? Mingo was widely regarded as a top 10 pick (top 5 by some). He's an elite pass rusher with lots of upside.

They surely could have traded down a few spots and still gotten Mingo. It felt like a panic move to keep him away from the Jets. I just had been reading a lot of apprehension about Mingo recently. Ansah leapfrogging him is telling of this. Basically I feel like he will be good but I definitely had been reading that he probably isn't good enough for the 6th pick. A team with as many holes as Cleveland really, really needed to trade down.

Oakland sold the 3rd pick remarkably low and Buffalo fleeced St. Louis for the 8th.

Tayvon is a great target for St. Louis, but Bradford still needs some protection.

And Milliner to the Jets. They might not see him for most of this season, but this locks up one of their many needs. Next they can grab Fluker at 13, or Warnock.