The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

I only listened to the game yesterday, but to lose is just so disheartening. To think we beat a full strength Stoke with half a side in the cup, then lose with Rooney, Mata and RVP present was depressing. I know we got unlucky during the game with injuries and the goals we conceded, but still.

Where was Januzaj?

Anyway, our defence and the centre of midfield just isn't strong enough. I want Fellaini back ASAP because Cleverley shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11.

Nandos.

• Like 5

I only listened to the game yesterday, but to lose is just so disheartening. To think we beat a full strength Stoke with half a side in the cup, then lose with Rooney, Mata and RVP present was depressing. I know we got unlucky during the game with injuries and the goals we conceded, but still.

Where was Januzaj?

Anyway, our defence and the centre of midfield just isn't strong enough. I want Fellaini back ASAP because Cleverley shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11.

Nandos.

Damn, beaten to it. :P

(even though Fergie could never achieve what Bob did)

Eh...what? How,on Earth could you have any idea what he would or wouldn't achieve, you nutter?

Three European Cups was my point.

Three European Cups in an era where only one team from each country entered. That's nice, but it's nowhere near as impressive an achievement as winning one in the modern era.

Eh...what? How,on Earth could you have any idea what he would or wouldn't achieve, you nutter?

Three European Cups in an era where only one team from each country entered. That's nice, but it's nowhere near as impressive an achievement as winning one in the modern era.

You're saying the European Cup being even MORE exclusive somehow lessens the achievement?

It depends how you quantify success, Paisley inherited an already elite team and guided them to an even greater level of achievement over nine years.

Fergie inherited a team that finished fourth the previous season and was second from bottom at the time and then he built multiple title winning squads over 27 years.

For me, due to his sustained success, especially in an era where potential new rivals could pop up 'overnight' on a billionaire's whim, Ferguson is the better manager.

• Like 4

You're saying the European Cup being even MORE exclusive somehow lessens the achievement?

Yes. Look at some of the teams Liverpool played en route to their wins. Dinamo Bucharest in the 1984 semi-final, for one.

In fact, the 83/84 semi-finalists were Liverpool. Roma, Dinamo Bucharest and Dundee United. I could have won the cup if that lot were my competition. :/

In Paisley's era, once you got there through winning the league, which we all knew Ferguson had no trouble doing, you had about four good teams to face and a bunch of diddies. Compare that to today. Honestly Nerf.

• Like 2

You're less likely to come up against some utterly terrible opposition due to the format of the competition (with most of the weaker teams either going out in qualifiers or into the Europa League).

Still, I wouldn't discount Paisley's achievements so readily. His 3 European Cups as a manager is still the record. Could he have done that if he was managing today? Who knows. The context is everything but it would foolish to ignore the achievement.

Ferguson was one of the best managers of the last 30 years or so. That is undeniable. It's difficult to rate a best ever because of how the sport has changed.

West Brom's first touch is really letting them down. Part of it is because they're having short-range passes absolutely smashed at them, but there's a lot of balls hitting the foot and looping a foot above head-height.