2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Lint

ANALYSIS: Teddy Bridgewater is the name of a Southern Baptist preacher with a deep, dark secret that must never be revealed.

• Like 4

ANALYSIS: Teddy Bridgewater is the name of a Southern Baptist preacher with a deep, dark secret that must never be revealed.

Billy Lee Tuttle?

Thank you EWB for reading my analysis. I will maybe be back to do it next year. I won't be doing it tomorrow because hahahahaha god no.

And now to play us out, the theme song that played so many times tonight!

WELL YOU CAN TELL EVERYBODYYYY

YEAH YOU CAN TELL EVERYBODYYYY

GO AHEAD AND TELL EVERYBODY

I'M JOHNNY MANZIEL THE STAR OF THE 2014 NFL DRAFT

I'M JOHNNY MANZIEL THE STAR OF THE 2014 NFL DRAFT

YES I AM (JOHNNY MANZIEL THE STAR OF THE 2014 NFL DRAFT), YES I AM (I'M JOHNNY MANZIEL THE STAR OF THE 2014 NFL DRAFT), YES I AM (I'M JOHNNY MANZIEL THE STAR OF THE 2014 NFL DRAFT)

• Like 1

Giants seem to take a second round DT every year so I wouldn't be surprised if they take one of the DTs tomorrow....but I do think they need to get an OL. As it is now they've got Schwartz, Pugh, and 3 guys coming off of major injuries. Hopefully not taking Zack Martin won't come back to bite them.

Odell Beckham is still very intriguing, though. The Giants did need receiver help certainly. The biggest knock I see on Beckham is his height (5'11"). Rueben Randle is their tallest wideout at 6'2". Cruz and Manningham are both 6'0". I do miss the days of just being able to heave it up to Plaxico Burress who towered over all the CBs. Of course Ramses Barden was 6'6" and accomplished absolutely nothing so it might not be a big deal.

The Browns' Twitter celebrated Manziel's selection with this:

pp2tvhupijoasppegkft.jpg

22th in the draft but 1nd in your hearts!

Also fun to note, Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden were also drafted by the Browns at 22, after they traded up. NOTHING CAN GO WRONG HERE.

• Like 5

Care to guess how much ESPN talked about Johnny Manziel?

ESPN brought up Manziel's name 83 times, and referred to him as "Johnny Football" 30 more.

The total of 113 mentions outpaces that of the top five draft picks combined.

#1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney came in second, earning 29 mentions on ESPN.

I'm gonna say he lasts slightly longer than Tebow did. Tebow played, what, 2 years? Manziel will play 3 before signing on to be an ESPN analyst.

Edited by Cloudy Rocker
  • Like 1

The ESPN draft tracker would, no matter what team was up to pick, show stats about their quarterbacks meant to justify speculation that that team could draft Manziel. It was kind of amazing.

Ebron.

Jesus christ. I didn'tlike the Ziggy pick, so hope this works out. Just seems insane when he have Pttigrew and Fauria already. Blech. And we still probably take a WR in the second.

DDon't worry, the defense will fix itself.

I doubt we take a WR 2nd....I think he more or less takes the place as the other option since he can be split out. Plus, Fauria is more of a situation player than Ebron.

Or yea, what you said the 2nd time around.

The more I stew on this pick, I am actually starting to really like it. I wont lie, I didn't know much other than he was an athletic tight end who had a knock on him for dropping passes.

As I read more about him, he's probably going to play a bit as WR because of his speed, and the drop thing seems to be overblown. I've read that he had four last season, I can live with that considering our dude Calvin had as many if not more than that. It's not as if he's another TE like Pettigrew, he can actually stretch the field and get yards after the catch. Imagine a goal line situation with him, Calvin, and Fauria. It's going to be hard for teams to go up against that much size, add Tate and Pettigrew into that mix, it's potent.

A lot of folks really wanted a DB, but we still have a bunch of young corners looking to turn the corner (no pun intended), and typically a DB doesn't come in and dominate as a rookie. It's not a bad idea to go with the best available talent at 10, and if the Lions believe it was Ebron, I can buy that.

That said, they have a great opportunity to get some players in the second, third, and fourth (three picks there). If it's up to me I'm getting a OLB, a DB, a Center to groom for next season, a QB to groom as our back up to Stafford (and maybe an insurance policy if he continues his mediocrity), and perhaps a WR with one of them fourth rounders. I wouldn't be opposed to a safety or defensive end either.

Honestly, I'm hoping the second and third get us some help on the defensive side, and from there they can start doing whatever the fuck they want.

Ebron.

Jesus christ. I didn'tlike the Ziggy pick, so hope this works out. Just seems insane when he have Pttigrew and Fauria already. Blech. And we still probably take a WR in the second.

DDon't worry, the defense will fix itself.

I doubt we take a WR 2nd....I think he more or less takes the place as the other option since he can be split out. Plus, Fauria is more of a situation player than Ebron.

Or yea, what you said the 2nd time around.

The more I stew on this pick, I am actually starting to really like it. I wont lie, I didn't know much other than he was an athletic tight end who had a knock on him for dropping passes.

As I read more about him, he's probably going to play a bit as WR because of his speed, and the drop thing seems to be overblown. I've read that he had four last season, I can live with that considering our dude Calvin had as many if not more than that. It's not as if he's another TE like Pettigrew, he can actually stretch the field and get yards after the catch. Imagine a goal line situation with him, Calvin, and Fauria. It's going to be hard for teams to go up against that much size, add Tate and Pettigrew into that mix, it's potent.

A lot of folks really wanted a DB, but we still have a bunch of young corners looking to turn the corner (no pun intended), and typically a DB doesn't come in and dominate as a rookie. It's not a bad idea to go with the best available talent at 10, and if the Lions believe it was Ebron, I can buy that.

That said, they have a great opportunity to get some players in the second, third, and fourth (three picks there). If it's up to me I'm getting a OLB, a DB, a Center to groom for next season, a QB to groom as our back up to Stafford (and maybe an insurance policy if he continues his mediocrity), and perhaps a WR with one of them fourth rounders. I wouldn't be opposed to a safety or defensive end either.

Honestly, I'm hoping the second and third get us some help on the defensive side, and from there they can start doing whatever the fuck they want.

The first round was always going to be the Best player available in their eyes. It always is. The lions are lucky in the sense that there will be decent talent for their positions of need, in those mid rounds. I'm sure it made the decision of just adding another weapon easier. I didn't see a DB in the first round that I thought was worth the Tenth pick in term of impact for the Lions.

If anybody, Justin Gilbert would have been that guy, but he wasn't there. They have talked about wanting a "flame thrower" at OLB, so I'd be surprised if the 2nd or 3rd rounder isn't a OLB. Our LBers weren't bad, but we could definitely stand to upgrade Ashlee Palmer. Levy had a pro bowl year and Tulloch is rock solid, they could make that group better with a talented rookie.

CB is weird for us, everybody thinks it's a huge need (and yeah I don't disagree). We have Bentley, Slay, Green, and Greenwood as guys going into their second and third year, you hope Bentley and Slay really make a huge leap. I think Slay started to improve quite a bit as the season went on but got hurt. Chris Houston has normally played well for us battled injury all year and played bad, they probably hope if he's healthy he can return to form. We brought back Rashean Mathis, who probably was our best CB last season, he is 34 and him being your best CB is not a good sign.

Safety isn't a bad option either, Glover Quinn and the new guy from the Ravens should be fine, but we have little depth behind them. The guy that isn't Quinn is also not a young man, and may not even pan out.

Oh and DE...that's a position we could use depth as well. We have Ziggy, Taylor, and Jones. Jones is coming off injury, and we don't know if Taylor is going to be evolve beyond a situational pass rusher (though he played very well for us last year given his draft position).

I find it interesting that the cat from FSU is listed as a WR, but has basically the exact same size as Ebron. Ebron has ten pounds on him, otherwise they're about the same size.

I can see the Jets drafting TE Troy Niklas with their 2nd round pick. If the Jets do get Niklas, I can see them targeting WRs like TJ Jones, Devin Street or Martavis Bryant in later rounds.

If Niklas is gone, the pick will be a WR. There should be a couple options available. I could see them picking Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews. I believe if they were going to target Marquis Lee, they would of done it in the 1st round. I don't see Lee falling to them in the 2nd round though.

For all I know, I could be completely wrong. But this is just wishful thinking on my part.