2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Lint

I watched the draft on NFL Network, but I'm sure they said it something close to that too. Every time a team went on the clock it was, "OMG, u think they'll take Manziel? I mean, they already have a quarterback but why wouldn't they?!?!"

From Deadspin

NFL Network wasn't far behind ESPN, with 105 total Manziel mentions (only 12 utterances of "Johnny Football"). But the league's official TV channel mentioned the other players more often (Anthony Barr 275% more mentions, Clowney got 13% more, Bortles 26% more for example).

Eh. I enjoyed the night and didn't mind the Manziel stuff. He's a huge name that everyone has heard of even if they haven't watched college football. It made for some good TV too.

After watching some more Bortles stuff he really plays like Big Ben. I love his attitude too and it fits right in with the Jaguars staff. Should be interesting.

Edited by Dan

If anybody, Justin Gilbert would have been that guy, but he wasn't there. They have talked about wanting a "flame thrower" at OLB, so I'd be surprised if the 2nd or 3rd rounder isn't a OLB. Our LBers weren't bad, but we could definitely stand to upgrade Ashlee Palmer. Levy had a pro bowl year and Tulloch is rock solid, they could make that group better with a talented rookie.

CB is weird for us, everybody thinks it's a huge need (and yeah I don't disagree). We have Bentley, Slay, Green, and Greenwood as guys going into their second and third year, you hope Bentley and Slay really make a huge leap. I think Slay started to improve quite a bit as the season went on but got hurt. Chris Houston has normally played well for us battled injury all year and played bad, they probably hope if he's healthy he can return to form. We brought back Rashean Mathis, who probably was our best CB last season, he is 34 and him being your best CB is not a good sign.

Safety isn't a bad option either, Glover Quinn and the new guy from the Ravens should be fine, but we have little depth behind them. The guy that isn't Quinn is also not a young man, and may not even pan out.

Oh and DE...that's a position we could use depth as well. We have Ziggy, Taylor, and Jones. Jones is coming off injury, and we don't know if Taylor is going to be evolve beyond a situational pass rusher (though he played very well for us last year given his draft position).

I find it interesting that the cat from FSU is listed as a WR, but has basically the exact same size as Ebron. Ebron has ten pounds on him, otherwise they're about the same size.

I pretty much agree with all this. The lions were a team last year that under performed more than they were just bad. They have needs but nothing that is a massive need.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous to even bring up the Manziel thing. He was the biggest name in the draft and he slide into the 20's, of course he was going to get mentioned a ton, he was available to be picked for a long time.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous to even bring up the Manziel thing. He was the biggest name in the draft and he slide into the 20's, of course he was going to get mentioned a ton, he was available to be picked for a long time.

I was really hoping for the Cowboys to take him just to see the madness unfold :D

Stevie Johnson to the Niners for a 4th, rising to a 3rd.

Whoa, Bill are shitting the bed a bit here...

Why? They just drafted Sammy Watkins and took two WRs last draft.

They also traded for Mike Williams.

Besides, I thought it was pretty obvious Johnson was going to be traded once Watkins' name was called.

As a 49ers fan I'm not sure how I feel about it yet though. He offers a lot of what we already had but that could mean they're preparing for life without Crabtree after this season.

Stevie Johnson to the Niners for a 4th, rising to a 3rd.

Whoa, Bill are shitting the bed a bit here...

They are fooling themselves if they think adding a rookie WR is going to drastically change their team next year. Even if he turns out to be what they expect (and I'm very skeptical of him), rookie WR's don't make huge impacts on a teams win-loss record historically, and they still lost their best defensive player (Byrd) and coordinator (Pettine). It's very possible they gave up another top 10 pick next year. It's going to entirely depend on EJ Manuel's development.

After the season he had this year, I'm kinda surprised Stevie wasn't released outright in February. Good on Whaley for getting anything more than a seventh rounder for him.