The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

If he goes, hopefully he'll take his appalling backroom staff with him, that lot couldn't train a dog to sit, never mind Premier League footballers.

• Like 1

As for what I expect as a Newcastle fan, a bit of ambition, we can get 50,000 through the gates to the opening of an envelope, all wearing replica shirts and drinking out of pint glasses with Alan Shearer's face engraved on them. We can't compete with the 'big six' financially but that's fine, financial muscle doesn't always equal success, I'd be quite happy with our team consistently looking like they're actually putting in effort and challenging Everton/Southampton for 7th and maybe squeaking a Europa League place. We should be making an actual, concerted effort to win one of the cup competitions and not to consistently get knocked out of competitions by the likes of Brighton and Stevenage.

I expect a team full of seasoned internationals to not 'win six, lose six'. Have questions been asked as to why the same eleven players can play like world beaters for a month and then play like League Two reserves for a month? I expect the team to play with some sort of tactical consistency. I expect set piece routines slightly more complex than 'Punt it to Mike Williamson on the back post'. I expect players to be played in their correct positions, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is not a fullback, never will be and is now playing Champions League football at centre back for a better team, Dzeko still hasn't been seen since MYM put him in his back pocket months ago, it's believed he's floating in some sort of twilight zone. I expect the team to be motivated for local derby matches against an inferior team, not lose four on the bounce without scoring a goal and never look like doing so and not giving a shit about it. I expect at least one of the young players we sign or promote from the U18's to actually improve in a noticable way. I expect something to be looked at as to why our training methods are consistently injuring players. SIGN A FUCKING CENTRE BACK!

• Like 1

As for what I expect as a Newcastle fan, a bit of ambition, we can get 50,000 through the gates to the opening of an envelope, all wearing replica shirts and drinking out of pint glasses with Alan Shearer's face engraved on them. We can't compete with the 'big six' financially but that's fine, financial muscle doesn't always equal success, I'd be quite happy with our team consistently looking like they're actually putting in effort and challenging Everton/Southampton for 7th and maybe squeaking a Europa League place. We should be making an actual, concerted effort to win one of the cup competitions and not to consistently get knocked out of competitions by the likes of Brighton and Stevenage.

I expect a team full of seasoned internationals to not 'win six, lose six'. Have questions been asked as to why the same eleven players can play like world beaters for a month and then play like League Two reserves for a month? I expect the team to play with some sort of tactical consistency. I expect set piece routines slightly more complex than 'Punt it to Mike Williamson on the back post'. I expect players to be played in their correct positions, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is not a fullback, never will be and is now playing Champions League football at centre back for a better team, Dzeko still hasn't been seen since MYM put him in his back pocket months ago, it's believed he's floating in some sort of twilight zone. I expect the team to be motivated for local derby matches against an inferior team, not lose four on the bounce without scoring a goal and never look like doing so and not giving a shit about it. I expect at least one of the young players we sign or promote from the U18's to actually improve in a noticable way. I expect something to be looked at as to why our training methods are consistently injuring players. SIGN A FUCKING CENTRE BACK!

You should have just supported Villa. You could have had all that closer to home.

We should be making an actual, concerted effort to win one of the cup competitions and not to consistently get knocked out of competitions by the likes of Brighton and Stevenage.

I fail to see the problem here, you mugged us when we were non-league, it stands to reason you'd struggle with us at the dizzy heights of league 2.

• Like 1

Surely Newcastle have a similar revenue as Spurs, don't they? Don't think Gazz is being unreasonable.

According to the latest accounts up to June 2013

Spurs

Turnover: 6th in league, £147m (up from £144m in 2012)

Match receipts: £33m

TV and media: £57m

All commercial activities: £57m

Newcastle

Turnover: 7th in league, £96m (up from £93m in 2012)

Gate and matchday: £28m

TV and broadcasting: £51m

Commercial activities: £17m

I assume our commercial activities are so low in comparison because

A) London

B) No decent company wants to be associated with Mike Ashley and kill their business in the North East.

Problem with Newcastle is they've stagnated. They have a manager who really needs to leave in order for the club to progress but for himself to progress.

It's like a loveless marriage yet neither side wants to be the one to call it quits.

The other problem is Ashley is content with not spending money. Bringing in either players for dirt cheap or nothing and selling players like Cabaye with none of it being reinvested isn't going to help.

Really Newcastle should be a top 10 team pushing for Europa League challenge and doing decent in the cup competitions. They've got the stadium and infrastructure. They just need change.

As rumoured, Emre Can, Javi Manquillo and Alberto Moreno come into the Liverpool team to face Swansea, replacing Kolo Toure, Lazar Markovic and Steven Gerrard. Simon Mignolet returns to the starting eleven in place of the injured Brad Jones, while Danny Ward is on the bench.

Confirmed #LFC team v Swansea: Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Manquillo, Moreno, Lucas, Henderson, Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling

Confirmed #LFC subs v Swansea: Ward, Toure, Gerrard, Markovic, Balotelli, Lambert, Borini

#Swans team v @LFC: Fabianski, Richards, Fernandez, Williams ©, Taylor, Britton, Shelvey, Dyer, Sigurdsson, Routledge, Bony.

#Swans subs v @LFC: Tremmel, Rangel, Bartley, Ki, Carroll, Emnes, Gomis.

I think I might freeze to death at the game tonight :(

Liking the starting line up...although Bony against Skrtel scares me

Edited by DavidMarrio