The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

Yeah Lallana is good and all but he isnt going to get you 20-30 goals a season or create problems for a defense like Suarez did/does. Rodgers has both pissed and shit the bed with his the majority of his signings. Lovren is probably just as bad if not worse than Sakho, Lambert hardly ever plays and doesn't really seem to get a long run in the side, Balotelli is..well Balotelli and Markovic hasn't exactly set the world alight.

Most of the players you just listed aren't Rodgers signings though.

AND I SWEAR IF YOU SAY ONE MORE BAD WORD ABOUT MAMADOU SAKHO I WILL STRAIGHT UP CUT YOU.

Lovren, Markovic, Lambert were bought in July 2014. Sakho in September 2013. Balotelli in August 2014.

Rodgers has been Liverpool manager since June 2012.

Lambert is 32 and wasn't bought to play ever week. Markovic is 20 and shouldn't play every week. Balotelli needs to be up front with someone and Sturridge seems to be the only real option besides playing Sterling up there with him (which worked well against United).

As for the defenders they tend to get over exposed by the fact Liverpool only seem to have attacking midfield players. It's no real surprise that Liverpool looked more defensively solid when Lucas came back into midfield. That only happened when Lovren got dropped for Toure though. Sahko I don't think has ever really had time to settle into the team because he seems to always be in and out.

So he has zero say on transfers?

Only the shit players. He really really wanted the ones that turn out alright though, and he was desperate for players that we missed out on who turn out to be amazing.

At least that's how the press is currently being briefed.

I'd imagine he did want them. It just seems that the notion of buying a ready made player like a Sanchez or a Diego Costa is too much for Ian Ayre or whoever is the person doing it because I doubt Rodgers is doing it.

I'm still pissed Liverpool didn't pursue Bony more this summer. If I remember correctly, Rodgers wanted him and he was available for 20 million, but the committee vetoed it because they felt he wasn't worth that kind of money. Yet Balotelli at 16 million was...

I still don't understand the logic in buying Lambert. You can use the "he only cost a few million" argument, but he's weakening the side and costing them points by not being at the standard required. It just shows a lack of direction for Liverpool signing him and Balotelli when last season they were based on fast paced attacks and taking the game to teams early on. There's no sense in bringing in a 32 year old striker who you can't rely on to put into the team when needed, and a guy who needs a striker partner but there are only two other strikers at the club (one of whom is the 32 year old striker you don't really want playing every week).

Rodgers can blame the transfer committee but if even after a season where he very very nearly won the title for the first time in ages, he still doesn't have the standing to veto a transfer and tell them "no, he won't fit in with the way we play and won't benefit us going forward", it shows a weakness on his part at not being able to take charge backstage.

The argument I have heard discussed before is that the Lambert signing was made before it was certain that Suarez was going. Which if true I think makes sense (he could be used sparingly and not have much onus on him when he comes on because he'd have either Suarez or Sturridge to play with him). I had this discussion with someone on here before who insisted Suarez was leaving no matter what due to links to Real etc. late last season but, from my recollection of pre-World Cup bite there was no real serious talk of him going.

If anything Lambert's goal return has been better than either Aspas or Borini thus far so as a third choice goes he's done OK at a low standard. :shifty:

I find it odd that the charge related to anti semitic remarks and made no mention that it also mocked black and Italian stereotypes.

It's almost like they realised they'd look like dickheads for charging a black Italian footballer with Jewish family history for racism against blacks and Italians but figured they could get away with the anti semitic bit because hardly anyone knows Mario's mom is Jewish.

I also though the minimum ban for racism was five games.

• Like 2