The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1

A Liverpool supporting friend just showed me this. Hadn't realised just how many signings Rodgers has made. Doesn't make great reading when you consider where most are at this moment.

By "where most are at this moment" do you mean still at the club? :P Because quite a lot of them still are. Save the few season long loans and a couple who've been loaned out (Aspas and Assaidi). Of the 25 Mingolet, Lovren, Sahko, Moreno, Allen, Coutinho, Lallana, Balotelli and Sturridge were probably bought to be going right into the starting XI. The majority of the rest were squad signings and or prospects who went into the youth set up. Origi isn't even at the club yet.

A quick comparison with other Premier League clubs and by sheer numbers it's on the upper end but not really unique to have bought over 20 players three seasons. I think considering the state of the squad he took over which was a mix of surviving Benitez players, Dalglish-Cammoli signings and Joe Cole that either wanted to go or needed getting rid of. They're not all world beating signings, I'll admit that. Also quite a few of them are still in their early 20s.

Chelsea brought in a similar number over the last couple of seasons but they've included Eden Hazard, Deigo Costa and others. But they're more than willing to throw their weight around to get those kinds of players. Alas, Liverpool aren't or can't (either because Liverpool isn't London or Liverpool aren't in the CL or whatever excuse is usually given for it). They're not alone in spending huge amounts of money on players in the last 3 seasons and have it not really work out either, Spurs have done similar.

I think the failure of Liverpool's transfer business thus far has really been that they've focused mostly on prospectively great players and failed to be able to land ready made ones. Alexis Sanchez and Diego Costa were both targets for Liverpool and neither of them signed (the former went to Arsenal and the latter signed for Chelsea a year later). Instead the idea seems to be sign young players who might mature into great ones (Coutinho and 80% of the summer signings from 2014) or ones that have something to prove (Sturridge, Balotelli). I feel like there is an occasional lack of desire for immediate impact with signings. I don't mind signing young players filled with potential but I'd rather sign one or two less of them if it means a couple of players who'll make an immediate impact.

James Pearce recently did an interesting podcast on how the Transfer Committee may be hindering Rodgers' progress. Sure, he's the head of the committee, but majority vote rules and he apparently doesn't get to veto any decisions. This left him with Balotelli who he didn't want at all, and he pushed hard for Michel Vorm and Wilfried Bony in the summer but wasn't allowed to pursue them, along with Christian Eriksen the year before. There's also apparently hostility based on Rodgers desperately wanting Sanchez and Costa and the club failing to get the deals done. Also an interesting theory that it's the FSG, rather than Rodgers, that insist on freezing Borini out in order to force him to take a move in January.

Sounds like a horrendous mess, either way. Either get a sporting director or leave the manager to do his job, ffs.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-1

A Liverpool supporting friend just showed me this. Hadn't realised just how many signings Rodgers has made. Doesn't make great reading when you consider where most are at this moment.

By "where most are at this moment" do you mean still at the club? :P Because quite a lot of them still are. Save the few season long loans and a couple who've been loaned out (Aspas and Assaidi). Of the 25 Mingolet, Lovren, Sahko, Moreno, Allen, Coutinho, Lallana, Balotelli and Sturridge were probably bought to be going right into the starting XI. The majority of the rest were squad signings and or prospects who went into the youth set up. Origi isn't even at the club yet.

A quick comparison with other Premier League clubs and by sheer numbers it's on the upper end but not really unique to have bought over 20 players three seasons. I think considering the state of the squad he took over which was a mix of surviving Benitez players, Dalglish-Cammoli signings and Joe Cole that either wanted to go or needed getting rid of. They're not all world beating signings, I'll admit that. Also quite a few of them are still in their early 20s.

Chelsea brought in a similar number over the last couple of seasons but they've included Eden Hazard, Deigo Costa and others. But they're more than willing to throw their weight around to get those kinds of players. Alas, Liverpool aren't or can't (either because Liverpool isn't London or Liverpool aren't in the CL or whatever excuse is usually given for it). They're not alone in spending huge amounts of money on players in the last 3 seasons and have it not really work out either, Spurs have done similar.

I think the failure of Liverpool's transfer business thus far has really been that they've focused mostly on prospectively great players and failed to be able to land ready made ones. Alexis Sanchez and Diego Costa were both targets for Liverpool and neither of them signed (the former went to Arsenal and the latter signed for Chelsea a year later). Instead the idea seems to be sign young players who might mature into great ones (Coutinho and 80% of the summer signings from 2014) or ones that have something to prove (Sturridge, Balotelli). I feel like there is an occasional lack of desire for immediate impact with signings. I don't mind signing young players filled with potential but I'd rather sign one or two less of them if it means a couple of players who'll make an immediate impact.

I was more getting at the amount of money spent on players who haven't exactly set the world alight or who have now left the club/been sent out on loan which, to be fair, you've covered on your post. Hell of a lot of money spent on "squad players" though. Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Liverpool haven't had much depth for years dating back to when Rafa Benitez had to sell players to buy new ones because repaying H&G's loans was costing the club millions (and in reality those debts, had FSG not come in, probably would've have seen the club go into administration). Since then attempts to bulk out the squad have backfired. The 08/09 team and the 13/14 team didn't have the greatest amount of depth. I don't think there's been a summer that Liverpool have signed a lot of players and it's ended up working out right since Gerard Houllier's spending spree in 1999 (7 players came in and Emile Heskey signed in early 2000). Save for Eric Meijer and Titi Camara that worked out rather well in the long run.

I'd say that the club had somewhat of the right idea last summer but they didn't really account for the Luis Suarez shaped hole in the attack either instead getting a bit more fixated on the "we have to play loads more games this season we can't just use the same 14 players".

I'd say that the club had somewhat of the right idea last summer but they didn't really account for the Luis Suarez shaped hole in the attack either instead getting a bit more fixated on the "we have to play loads more games this season we can't just use the same 14 players".

Honestly, I think Lallana was the answer to Suarez' departure. He's been absolutely excellent, but Rodgers won't play him with any regularity for some reason.

Yeah Lallana is good and all but he isnt going to get you 20-30 goals a season or create problems for a defense like Suarez did/does. Rodgers has both pissed and shit the bed with his the majority of his signings. Lovren is probably just as bad if not worse than Sakho, Lambert hardly ever plays and doesn't really seem to get a long run in the side, Balotelli is..well Balotelli and Markovic hasn't exactly set the world alight.

Yeah Lallana is good and all but he isnt going to get you 20-30 goals a season or create problems for a defense like Suarez did/does. Rodgers has both pissed and shit the bed with his the majority of his signings. Lovren is probably just as bad if not worse than Sakho, Lambert hardly ever plays and doesn't really seem to get a long run in the side, Balotelli is..well Balotelli and Markovic hasn't exactly set the world alight.

Most of the players you just listed aren't Rodgers signings though.

AND I SWEAR IF YOU SAY ONE MORE BAD WORD ABOUT MAMADOU SAKHO I WILL STRAIGHT UP CUT YOU.

Most of the players you just listed aren't Rodgers signings though.

AND I SWEAR IF YOU SAY ONE MORE BAD WORD ABOUT MAMADOU SAKHO I WILL STRAIGHT UP CUT YOU.

Lovren, Markovic, Lambert were bought in July 2014. Sakho in September 2013. Balotelli in August 2014.

Rodgers has been Liverpool manager since June 2012.

So he has zero say on transfers?

Only the shit players. He really really wanted the ones that turn out alright though, and he was desperate for players that we missed out on who turn out to be amazing.

At least that's how the press is currently being briefed.

• Like 3

So he has zero say on transfers?

Only the shit players. He really really wanted the ones that turn out alright though, and he was desperate for players that we missed out on who turn out to be amazing.

At least that's how the press is currently being briefed.

Rodgers is bezzie mates with all the 'friendly journos'.