The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

32 minutes ago, Velociraptor King Ellis said:

Shame their American cousin turned out to be a wife beater.

And their South African cousin as well. :shifty: 

Wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I picked this thread.

If a foreign player gains UK citizenship, does he get to pick what country he can play for? Or does he have to play for the country he did his citizenship ceremony in?

3 hours ago, MDK said:

Wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I picked this thread.

If a foreign player gains UK citizenship, does he get to pick what country he can play for? Or does he have to play for the country he did his citizenship ceremony in?

I think to be eligible to play for a Home Nations team you have to have been educated in the country for a certain number of years prior to turning 18. I know that was the reason Junior Hoilett couldn't play for England but could play for Canada or Jamacia.

• Like 1

The Home Nations agreement requires that players engage in a minimum of five years of education before the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association and do not offer national team eligibility through residency

Just now, Freelance Hobo said:

I think to be eligible to play for a Home Nations team you have to have been educated in the country for a certain number of years prior to turning 18. I know that was the reason Junior Hoilett couldn't play for England but could play for Canada or Jamacia.

Weird ruling that. 

Keep that red flag flying high @stokeriño

Can't wait for him to fuck off when things don't go his way or at the first sign of trouble. 

• Like 4

Fucking classless of whoever it was in the club to leak this on the same fucking day as winning the FA Cup - for the first time in 12 years as well. Would absolutely not begrudge LVG coming out and telling the club to fuck off before the Jose coronation takes place.

• Like 2

It's a bit shit that it's lesked today, but that's unfortunately what happens within big companies. It's just a shame you never find out exactly who leaked it.

I'm pleased for LVG that he gets to go out on a high - he's strangely likeable in his own way - but we just haven't been good enough these past two seasons.

I get the reservations about Jose but it's  a risk worth taking in my book. If nothing else, we now have Jose, Pep, Conte and Klopp in the Premier League together. Should be entertaining at least.

• Like 2

It wasn't leaked.

They actually put a little note inside the cup so when Van Gaal lifted the lid off the trophy, all he saw was a little bit of paper saying 'Louis, you're fucking sacked'.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I'm happy to have Mourinho back in the Premiership just for his entertainment value alone

Yes I too am looking forward to the return of such entertainment as berating staff members for no good reason, blaming everybody but himself when they lose and being a dick to reporters just cos.

On the other hand, if/when they lose and fail, it will doubly enjoyable for everyone else.

21 hours ago, Gazz said:

It wasn't leaked.

They actually put a little note inside the cup so when Van Gaal lifted the lid off the trophy, all he saw was a little bit of paper saying 'Louis, you're fucking sacked'.

Is that why it was only leaked like an hour afterwards then? Cos I saw Rooney and Carrick drop the lid on the floor as soon as they lifted it...

• Like 3

• Admin

Manchester United’s win means West Ham United can now offer Europa League football at their new Olympic Stadium home – but the bonus of European football comes with a complication.

West Ham, who have played their final game at Upton Park, and finished seventh in the Premier League behind Southampton and United, will now enter into the qualifying stages of European football’s second-tier football.

United’s win ensured the FA Cup winners’ place was unused as they had already qualified from their league position. The Hammers are set are set to kick off in the third qualifying round in July. However, a friendly with Juventus has been organised as the Olympic Stadium’s curtain-raiser on Sunday 7 August and the third qualifying round legs are scheduled to take place on 28 July and 4 August.

Should Slaven Bilic’s side be drawn at home then their new ground would not be ready for them. UK Athletics has events scheduled between 22-24 July and since the stadium takes seven days to set up as a football ground, that would not leave enough time for a home first-leg tie. The draw for the third qualifying round takes place on 15 July and Hammers would have less than two weeks for find a solution.