The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

I forget, do Newcastle fans have a real reason to hate Remy, or do they just incessantly boo every player who's scored goals for them in the past?

(Or in Demba Ba's case, cheer when Coloccini kicks his face in.)

Doesn't everybody do that? The famous example is Les Ferdinand effectively getting a standing ovation when he came back, before mercilessly booing every touch. Standard football panto, and whether it had an effect on Remy or not he definitely didn't fancy it.

Also, gutted.

I forget, do Newcastle fans have a real reason to hate Remy, or do they just incessantly boo every player who's scored goals for them in the past?

Doesn't everybody do that?

No...

Most of the time they get a polite smattering of applause when the teams are read out and then are pointedly ignored for the majority of the game. Unless they've done something especially acrimonious, in any case.

Doesn't everybody do that?

No...

Most of the time they get a polite smattering of applause when the teams are read out and then are pointedly ignored for the majority of the game. Unless they've done something especially acrimonious, in any case.

Meh, we boo ex-players. It's not a hate thing (bar a select few), it's just a 'get in their heads' thing. I struggle to believe it only happens at Newcastle, but don't particularly care if that is the case.

Edit: They do get applauded in the team readout.

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly

Why Remy wouldn't get booed? It's not as like Chelsea fans would understand,.

They're the sort of club that players join for money and get booed at their former clubs. It's all well and good Chelsea cheering Lampard and Cech and patting themselves on the back, but Remy at Newcastle? He was at the club for one year on loan, only after rejecting us in favour of QPR for the money and getting relegated. He promptly showed no interest in returning and went to Chelsea to sit on the bench for even more money.

Fuck him, boo every touch and see how that affects him.

I think that's why it never bothers me when a player wants to leave to join Real, or some other huge foreign side. They all have short careers and it's up to the individual what they do with them.

I think the only time I 'get' when fans are angry when a player leaves is when it's a situation similar to Fabian Delph's, or Tevez's "I'll never join a rival team". I think honesty is the way to go. I don't recall anyone outside of silly Facebook comments slating De Gea at all over the summer.

Fine, whatever. I just struggle to hate players who move on for reasons of career, money or other such normal-everyday-person things.

Agreed.

Unless they have turned heel, ripped off the shirt to reveal the new clubs shirt and then promptly took a shit on the club crest.

• Like 1

I think the reason more players get booed now than they used to is the classless way they all tend to leave. The likes of Remy, Delph, Fabregas and De Gea (who obviously didn't end up leaving) just stay absolutely silent, "aren't in the right frame of mind to play" and in some cases go on strike to get what they want without any thought or consideration to the club or the fans, which is fine, just don't expect to be treated with any semblance of respect by the fans or club you claim to "love" or "respect". If that was the case, they would have handed in a transfer request and make an honest statement about why they want leave instead of sticking their fingers in their ears. 

If anyone really believes Delph, Sinclair and Rodwell joined Manchester City for football reasons they are completely deluded, same as Remy and others at Chelsea.

Adebayor's always been honest that he tries to get as much money as he can to send back to his country. The career is short and he wants to help out whoever he can back there (while enjoying the other half of course).

Assou-Ekotto revealed early on at Spurs that he doesn't even like football and only played because it paid well. However his honesty kinda got him a cult status at Spurs for a few years. The problem was that when he fell out of favour and form, he wasn't motivated to fight for his place and was moved on.

Most sensible Tottenham fans can never blame the likes of Sheringham, Berbatov and Carrick for moving on to United for better money and better success. We were more upset with Bale, for example, who proclaimed his desire to stay, love for the club etc and then pretty much forced a move away shortly after.

Of course Sol Campbell is the one who most upset us. That he joined Arsenal is only part of it. The fact that he played out his contract (saying that he would re-sign) and then left to Arsenal on a free transfer rather than allowing us to get money for him, after him being club captain and being one of those badge-kissing types....Yeah that wasn't good.

• Admin

Watford: Gomes; Nyom, Cathcart, Prodl, Anya; Capoue, Watson; Abdi, Deeney, Jurado; Ighalo.
Subs: Arlauskis, Paredes, Ake, Guedioura, Ibarbo, Berghuis, Diamanti.

Crystal Palace: Hennessey; Kelly, Dann, Hangeland, Souare; Ledley, Cabaye; Puncheon, Sako, Bolasie; Gayle.
Subs: McCarthy, Croll, Mariappa, McArthur, Zaha, Gray, Campbell.

Referee: Anthony Taylor (Cheshire)