The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

Could be a pay rise with no extension to keep him happy, like what Dortmund did with Lewnadowski in his last year there.

That would be the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen in football.

Man Utd are over a barrel anyway, it's an absolute certainty that Jorge Mendes knows how much Madrid are willing to offer him on a contract, factor in potentially zero transfer fee and that is one BUMPER PAYDAY for De Gea. Why would he sign unless Man Utd can match it?

United already offered De Gea far more than Madrid. It was a case of him wanting to return to Spain more than money.

I guess we'll hear more about this in the coming weeks. If he signs an extension, and still wants to leave, it'll mean more money for us. Papers seem to think his agent and Real have fallen out over the failed deal.

I read that after reading the De Gea article. When LVG was appointed I said Giggs would be next in line. I'm half and half about it, and it's probably how fans will see it overall. Some will demand a high profile, experienced manager, while others would be happy with a club legend given the opportunity to bring good football back. 

Could be a pay rise with no extension to keep him happy, like what Dortmund did with Lewnadowski in his last year there.

That would be the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen in football.

It's dumb but if it's what it takes to get his head down then they may do it. As I said Dortmund did that exact thing for Lewandoski, he signed a new and much improved one year deal with them when he had already more or less said he was off to Bayern.

So some facebook update from Man Utd, a couple of minutes ago, says De Gea signed a 4 year deal?

De Gea signs new contract at United

David De Gea has signed a new four-year contract with Manchester United, keeping him at Old Trafford until at least 2019. There is an option to extend it for a further year.

The Spain international, 24, joined the Reds back in 2011 and has registered 175 appearances for the club, winning the Premier League title in 2013 and two Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year awards. 

David De Gea said:

“I am delighted to be starting this new chapter in my United career. I have always enjoyed playing with these great players in front of our fantastic fans. Manchester United is a special club and Old Trafford is an ideal place for me to continue to develop my career. I’m looking forward to putting a difficult summer behind me and concentrating on working hard to improve and help my teammates to be successful.”

Louis van Gaal said:

“I am absolutely delighted David has signed a new contract. He is one of the best goalkeepers in world football. I am very pleased that he will be part of the team for many years to come. David made a very important contribution to our performance last season and he has been the club’s Player of the Year for the last two seasons. He is a popular player who is keen to learn and enhance his game. At such a young age for a goalkeeper, he has many years ahead of him.”

Yep, official. Every chance there's an agreement in there to let Madrid sign him next summer though.

Either way, it means we'll now play him for the rest of the season and come the end of the season we'll either get a decent enough fee from Madrid or keep one of the best keepers in the world. The latter would be incredible.

• Like 2

Perez will be flipping his shit. I saw something earlier in the week about De Gea's agent being pissed at Madrid for leaving it until the last minute to put in an offer that Man Utd would accept and that he was now encouraging De Gea to sign a new contract. All of the comments said "no chance" pretty much but it looks like it may be true.

• Like 1

Perez will be flipping his shit. I saw something earlier in the week about De Gea's agent being pissed at Madrid for leaving it until the last minute to put in an offer that Man Utd would accept and that he was now encouraging De Gea to sign a new contract. All of the comments said "no chance" pretty much but it looks like it may be true.

Lionel Perez? I thought he'd retired.

• Like 1