2015 NFL Season

Dan

I would like to propose a new petition:

One that bans the morons who sign that petition from all NFL stadiums because they're obviously too stupid to watch Football. or b. sends them each a coupon for a free donut shaped pillow like those that they give to people with hemorrhoids or who have had butt injuries...but the pillows are in the Panthers' team colors. 

Also, I recently had a football discussion with someone who brought up the OBJ incident, and he proposed that the NFL should do more about unnecessary roughness calls. He suggested that in addition to the penalty, that maybe the offending player should be benched for the following play, and that players who get a lot of unnecessary roughness calls over the course of a season should have to take anger management classes in the offseason or be suspended until they do. I think benching a player at all for receiving one unnecessary roughness call would be a bad idea. First of all, it could be a heat of the moment thing, second of all there have been incidents of bs calls for that penalty from overprotective refs after hits on quarterbacks in the past, and third of all one frickin' play isn't going to cool someone off. But the anger management thing makes sense, I believe. 

However, I think that maybe sitting a player who causes a helmet to helmet hit to occur because the player lowers his head at the last second might not be a bad idea, since it leads to a penalty against the other player who often has no chance to adjust position before impact. (I really wish the NFL would do something about that. Its world class bullshit punishing a player for something he can't really avoid because of the other player's actions)

But I do believe a third unnecessary roughness call in a game should lead to an automatic ejection, with the refs having the option to eject if a player gets two of those penalties in the same quarter of a game. 

They can avoid it, and it gets enforced because the entire point is to discourage them from leading with their helmet when tackling.  Even if there's no chance to go helmet to helmet, the NFL would still prefer they don't do it.  Concussions, brain trauma, etc.

• Like 2

Helmet-to-helmet penalties in college football see's the player ejected from the game (also for the first half of the next game, if the penalty occurs in the second half). It sucks when it's one of your own guys, but I think I read that the drop off in helmet-to-helmet from last year to this year was quite significant.

Honestly, while, yeah, I played football 15 years ago, and loved (and still do) the physicality of it, times have changed, and, for fuck's sake, you're taught proper tackling technique, head up, lead with your face. This is elementary shit, and tackling is a dying art in a lot of ways. If they can fix it, it will be a great thing for the sport, even if it means less massive hits.

• Like 1

Honestly the best hits that I tend to enjoy the most are the ones where you really blow someone up without needing to hit them in the head anyway. Dropping someone by plowing through their chest or hitting them in the side is just so brutal to watch.

Look at Larry Fitzgerald's blindside screen block on RIchard Sherman. Proper technique combined with not being an asshole trying to hurt your opposing players can make the world of difference, even when it's with potentially dangerous hits. 

Compare that Vontaze Burfict's antics and you'll see the difference.