Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

Pro: Swansea have given their next manager a shot at the January transfer window, which should give them the best chance of shaping a team into one that can survive the drop.

Con: They've given the new manager enough time, that if they are bad enough, it's long enough for them to be feeling justified in sacking yet another manager.

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

Mark Clattenburg was voted the best ref in the world yesterday and now the Chinese Super League are apparently after him.

And no, I don't know who voted for it.

Mark Clattenburg probably 

36 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Mark Clattenburg was voted the best ref in the world yesterday and now the Chinese Super League are apparently after him.

And no, I don't know who voted for it.

33 minutes ago, MDK said:

Mark Clattenburg probably 

Spoiler

Mark Clattenburg named referee of the year after stunning 2016 in which he took charge of trio of finals

Mark Clattenburg has been named the best referee in the world at the Globe Soccer Awards.

The English referee has had an exceptional 2016, taking charge of both the Champions League final between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid and the Euro 2016 final in France.

Clattenburg completed a trio of huge matches by taking charge of the FA Cup final between Crystal Palace and Manchester United.

Mark Clattenburg being presented with the referee of the year award on Tuesday
Mark Clattenburg being presented with the referee of the year award on Tuesday

Clattenburg had a staggering calendar year, taking charge of the Champions League finalClattenburg had a staggering calendar year, taking charge of the Champions League final

Aside from his involvement at showpiece fixtures, Clattenburg also demonstrated his exceptional ability to control any game, no matter the circumstance. 

He was the referee in charge when Croatian hooligans threw flares onto the pitch in the match between the Czech Republic and Croatia at Euro 2016. Clattenburg acted swiftly to move the players away from the burning flares and suspended the game for several minutes.

Domestically, he was also put in charge of the showpiece FA Cup final at Wembley in MayDomestically, he was also put in charge of the showpiece FA Cup final at Wembley in May

The 41-year-old was also in charge of the Euro 2016 final between Portugal and FranceThe 41-year-old was also in charge of the Euro 2016 final between Portugal and France

Would Chris Coleman leave the Wales job?

Gary Rowett might be a good option, seemed to do a good job with Birmingham....worst case scenario if he comes in and the board gave him long-term backing if Swansea were to get relegated at least he has experience within the Championship. 

Coleman knows where his bread his buttered, he's not going anywhere yet. He lucked into the national job in tragic circumstances and it happened to be at same time Wales have one of the world's greatest players to carry them. I'm very confident we beat them in March if Bale is crocked.

He's an absolute chancer who owes his career to Gareth Bale and luck. He's been mediocre every where else.

Edited by TCO

5 minutes ago, TCO said:

Coleman knows where his bread his buttered, he's not going anywhere yet. He lucked into the national job in tragic circumstances and it happened to be at same time Wales have one of the world's greatest players to carry them. I'm very confident we beat them in March if Bale is crocked.

He's an absolute chancer who owes his career to Gareth Bale and luck. He's been mediocre every where else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/35980220

All because of Bale, absolutely. :P

But no, I see your point. Take Bale and/or Ramsey out of a side like Wales and we'll struggle in most games. Swansea just doesn't seem like a chance worth taking for Coleman at the moment, because if he didn't get immediate results, he could see himself sacked by March as the owners desperately try to stay in the league. Still can't believe they let Monk go, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/35980220

All because of Bale, absolutely. :P

But no, I see your point. Take Bale and/or Ramsey out of a side like Wales and we'll struggle in most games. Swansea just doesn't seem like a chance worth taking for Coleman at the moment, because if he didn't get immediate results, he could see himself sacked by March as the owners desperately try to stay in the league. Still can't believe they let Monk go, to be honest.

The Euro 2016 run was great, I'll give him that. I stand by my point though, if you put Bale and to a lesser extent Ramsey into any team then they have a decent shout. Bale carried them through the qualifiers and group stages.

Also if we beat you lot you're 7 points behind at the half way mark, doesn't reflect as well on Coleman then! :P

I was gutted to see Monk leave the club after being part of the team for so long but it was the correct decision to sack him. His inexperience started to show when the going got tough and the football was terrible, certainly not the possession football that we relied on for so long. I miss Guidolin more.

Also the belief that Wales are entirely dependant on Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey gives no credit to a fantastic defense and great team chemistry.

32 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Yeah, if anything Joe Allen was the lynchpin of that side. He's just a fucking tremendous footballer. Probably MOTM the other night against us.

Yeah that's great, but Bale scored 7/11 goals in qualifying. Without him they don't get within a sniff of qualifying, he's most definitely the lynchpin of the side.

They're also 3rd in qualifying for the World Cup as the 1 seed in a soft group. I just don't see how Coleman should be linked to any decent job.

1 minute ago, TCO said:

Yeah that's great, but Bale scored 7/11 goals in qualifying. Without him they don't get within a sniff of qualifying, he's most definitely the lynchpin of the side.

They're also 3rd in qualifying for the World Cup as the 1 seed in a soft group. I just don't see how Coleman should be linked to any decent job.

Bale has been important for them, no doubt, but trivializing Wales as a one man team is doing them a real disservice.

• Like 1

Also, it's a manager's job to get the best out of his players, which Coleman has with Bale. I hate that attitude that Coleman is lucky to have Bale. If Bale was under-performing, everyone would be the first to criticise Coleman for failing to get the best out of him. Coleman deserves a huge amount of credit for what he's done with Wales and having a world-class player shouldn't disallow him from getting the credit he's due. 

• Like 4