Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

Good tempo to this opening 10 minutes. Niasse should have been throwing himself at that cross by Markovic, fantastic run and ball in. 

It's a difficult one for me but I don't think it should stand...he wouldn't have scored if it didn't hit his hand even if it wasn't deliberate. Hull's defending though in the build up to that goal was awful. 

• Like 1

Just now, Davidmarrio said:

If that was last season, Gibbs would have been sent off considering Markovic was pretty much through on goal there. 

It's still the rule now, isn't it? The removal of the red card punishment only applies to fouls in the box.

1 minute ago, stokeriño said:

It's still the rule now, isn't it? The removal of the red card punishment only applies to fouls in the box.

Yup, plus I'm pretty sure it's still a red in the box if it's deemed to be a foul made on purpose and not accidental. 

Just now, stokeriño said:

I thought they changed it prior to the Euros that as long as it's not violent conduct it's not a red card?

1 minute ago, Davidmarrio said:

I thought they changed it prior to the Euros that as long as it's not violent conduct it's not a red card?

My understanding is that it was specifically to solve the issue of double-punishment of red card AND a penalty kick, and was otherwise unchanged.

(I don't know about the on purpose/accidental aspect Badder mentions.)

• Like 1

Just now, Davidmarrio said:

There was an incident in one of our games earlier this season and I looked into it - don't think it changed much at all, it seems. It doesn't need to be violent to be red, just a calculated foul or whatever word they used.

I'd double check if I could be arsed.

"Players will still be sent off for holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball or having no possibility to play the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball."

A deliberate or aggressive foul is still a red. It's more for when two players tangle in the box it's no longer an automatic red card. Newcastle had one rescinded against Forest earlier in the season.

2 minutes ago, Baddar said:

There was an incident in one of our games earlier this season and I looked into it - don't think it changed much at all, it seems. It doesn't need to be violent to be red, just a calculated foul or whatever word they used.

I'd double check if I could be arsed.

This is the quote that I found on it which could be bullshit but it was on the first site I found. 

"A foul on a running striker committed by the last man of the defence will no longer result in a direct red card and suspension, unless the foul is violent or consists in a hand-ball in the box. As long as the foul is judged to be an honest attempt at taking the ball, the defender will only be shown a yellow card.

Hand-balls in open play will only result in a booking if they interrupt significant plays."

John Terry's red card against Peterborough last month was for bringing down a player-through-on-goal outside of the box (I assume it wasn't deemed violent as he basically just lay down in front of him :shifty:).

That was upheld though as 'deliberate', which seems overly harsh, but then it's the FA.

hpFz8q1.jpg

Theo has always looked bigger on TV.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

This is the quote that I found on it which could be bullshit but it was on the first site I found. 

"A foul on a running striker committed by the last man of the defence will no longer result in a direct red card and suspension, unless the foul is violent or consists in a hand-ball in the box. As long as the foul is judged to be an honest attempt at taking the ball, the defender will only be shown a yellow card.

Hand-balls in open play will only result in a booking if they interrupt significant plays."

Where's that come from? Load of bollocks, still a straight red outside the area for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

The entire game plan seems to be just fling the ball into the box and hope that a Hull defender makes a cock up. Ox has been our best player so far but there's no real decent attack at all.