Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

1 hour ago, Nerf said:

Yes, he has a record *slightly* worse than Rodgers' first two seasons, which means he's keeping pace with a team that nearly won the league. I really don't know why people keep using that as an insult.

He's not exactly keeping pace with the teams at the top this season though, is he?

You can throw any stat out you like about our poor record, not just Mourinho's, against the top sides in recent seasons. Yours is shite against teams lower down and it's cost you.

If we beat Huddersfield on Saturday (can't say I'm going into that one particularly confident mind), with Spurs and Liverpool meeting on Sunday, last week's result becomes a good one straight away.

15 minutes ago, Baddar said:

He's not exactly keeping pace with the teams at the top this season though, is he?

You can throw any stat out you like about our poor record, not just Mourinho's, against the top sides in recent seasons. Yours is shite against teams lower down and it's cost you.

If we beat Huddersfield on Saturday (can't say I'm going into that one particularly confident mind), with Spurs and Liverpool meeting on Sunday, last week's result becomes a good one straight away.

We're 2 points of 4th and 4 off 3rd. Despite having 1 win in 5. Only teams we aren't keeping up pace with us the two teams who spent 

As long as we try to sustain top 4 I'll be happy come the end of May. 

Mourinho ain't winning the league by shutting up shop against one of the worst defences in the league whilst missing their best player. City tore us a new arsehole, dominated Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and are scoring for fun against the lower half teams.

If Mourinho is going to be so concerned and so negative and overly cautious against top 6 teams, he's not winning the Prem. Got to beat teams no matter how big or small. And that is also why we won't win the league until we can beat the perceived crapper teams in the Prem on a consistent basis.

Honestly I think yous will be comfortably 2nd. But City are winning the league this year. 

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

If by teams at the top you mean the Manchester clubs, then no, nobody else is either. We're on the same number of points as Chelsea and Arsenal though despite already playing three of the top 6 and having a "bad start." Which, sure, could've been better, but we're still playing well even if the points aren't coming, and we're actually two points better off from the corresponding fixtures last season. All of which has come without our first choice CM and RB - plus missing our best player more often than he's been available.

Either way, we're 8 games in. Nothing is written in the stars yet. Same story last season and countless seasons previously. Spurs weren't even in the top 4 half the season and ended up finishing 2nd. City started even better than they have this season and scraped 3rd. City beat you to the title despite it being a foregone conclusion etc. My point about Mourinho was that his way of playing against the top sides won't work anymore. Not when teams like City will go for the jugular no matter who they're playing. I really don't think the point at Anfield will be seen as a good point at the end of the season - you'll be asking yourselves "what if?"

"What if" we opened up against you like Arsenal did and got a fingering? <_<

I would have loved us to have more of a go, and the excuse that Jose used regarding waiting on Klopp to make a change was silly. He didn't need to as you looked more likely to score than us. But yes, nothing is written yet, and if we end up with a point away at all the big teams but win the home matches, that's a very good return.

Stats are so easy to bend to one's own argument, it's daft. Happens all the time and realistically a lot of it is rubbish.

Right now Liverpool are doing okay, they're doing no worse than Arsenal or Chelsea who realistically are their competition for a top 4 place, so all good. City and Utd are well away but we're not even close to having a settled table that reflects where teams will finish yet.

• Like 1

You're all bollocksed anyway when Rafa gets £3,000,000,000,000,000,000 from the new owners and we buy all the players.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gazz said:

You're all bollocksed anyway when Rafa gets £3,000,000,000,000,000,000 from the new owners and we buy all the players.

Pretty sure that by the time the sale goes through, that much will buy you one midfielder and a right-back with a dodgy knee.

48 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Option b) New owners sack Rafa, appoint Tino Asprilla and back him with a Venkys style '£5m warchest'. We still win all the things though. 

1 hour ago, Colly said:

You're pro Venkys now? 

Colly. Second warning.

3 hours ago, MadJack said:

Sacking Claudio sure worked didn't it.

Yes, strong argument it did. Shakespeare did certainly help the club away from possible relegation.