The Emirates FA Cup 2017/18

Lineker

1 hour ago, Troy said:

So, we renaming this derby to the Soft Pen Derby?

WHEYYYYYYYYY!!!!

1 hour ago, MDK said:

If VVD wants to make himself an instant hero he should either score the winner or two-foot Rooney and get sent off. 

WHEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Great evening at Anfield. Absolutely joyful despite Bobby Maddly in general having a nightmare (How Rooney didn't get sent off...How Holgate didn't get a booking for pushing Firmino into the crowd)  can't comment on the pen as I'm stood in the Kop but was surprised when we got one. 

75mil well spent. 

1 hour ago, Liam said:

I'm interested as to what Firmino said. Holgate wasn't responding until a certain point in that altercation.

Probably nothing. Was just strange.

Seen a bunch of people saying that Firmino called him a son of a bitch in Portuguese. 

I mean, Holgate did push him in such a manner that it caused Firmino to go into the first row of the stand t start it all

A lot of people on Twitter are pushing the idea that he used a racial slur. I would be astounded if that's true, given Bobby Madley is stood closer to him than Holgate is. There's no way the ref doesn't hear it or act on it a matter of inches away from Firmino, not to mention Holgate's teammates seemingly annoyed by his reaction. I suspect (and hope) it's nothing more than derby handbags.

At one point Holgate clearly says "what the fuck, he's just called me a nigger," when he's being dragged away. I'd be surprised if that was said though, given that the referee didn't hear anything and he was right in front of Firmino at the time.

2 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

And that warrants verbal abuse? 

I mean if someone pushed me into the front row of the crowd unnecessarily, which could have injured me then yeh I'd be saying words to the person who done it...I'm not going to be saying "please sir may I have another" or "good one mate"

The 'puta' part of what is said was before Holgate kicked off, to be honest. I doubt anything more serious was said, the camera angle that was shown just had the next bit lost behind someone so it meant it was a little bit more confusing than it perhaps could have been.

Also, verbal abuse being tolerated as a thing that is somehow acceptable is a bit of a joke. Holgate should have been cautioned for what he did, but going 'Oh yeah, well, he did it so whatever was said is fine' is ridiculous. Calling someone a son of a bitch, at minimum, shouldn't be seen as the way to deal with being fouled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nerf said:

Are we honestly now trying to argue that verbal attacks are worse than physical ones? :lol::lol:

No, I'm trying to suggest that accepting the term 'son of a bitch' as a saying that is OK to put out there is wrong, by proxy of it implying that the person who did the action's mum is a female dog and therefore is degrading towards the person and someone who is female.

I know I'm extending this past the necessary, but considering I have to cover language and gender as part of my role at work and the inherent sexism of language throughout history, laughing about verbal abuse that is arguably degrading females...well...

• Like 1

Also saying that a shove during a contact sport is worse than unnecessary verbal abuse during a contact sport really isn’t arguing that verbal attacks are worse than physical attacks. Over simplification just makes your point look daft. 

It's a contact sport but there's still unnecessary or excessive contact within the context of the rules. I mean there's push someone away from you then there's pushing someone off the pitch and into a stand. 

Verbal abuse isn't okay. I mean if that happened to me in the heat of the moment I would be swearing at someone. I've called someone a fucking bellend cause they went through the back of me late after I'd already played the ball. I've been on the end of it myself. 

Doesn't make it right but to be shocked about it happening or believe it's not an outcome that could be predicted. I think that's a bit naive. 

Anyway who's arsed we beat the Ev :D

13 minutes ago, DarylMarrio said:

It's a contact sport but there's still unnecessary or excessive contact within the context of the rules. I mean there's push someone away from you then there's pushing someone off the pitch and into a stand. 

Verbal abuse isn't okay. I mean if that happened to me in the heat of the moment I would be swearing at someone. I've called someone a fucking bellend cause they went through the back of me late after I'd already played the ball. I've been on the end of it myself. 

Doesn't make it right but to be shocked about it happening or believe it's not an outcome that could be predicted. I think that's a bit naive. 

The argument then becomes 'oh it's ok because it is football'. I'm not saying calling someone a bellend is fine, just that there is actually implied sexism in calling someone a son of a bitch that gets lost in the  'lol verbals' crowd.

I also generally don't feel you have to swear or be rude to someone when you play sport. I don't get why that is somehow the acceptable thing.