Premier League 2018/19

Lineker

Saw this on Twitter, thought it'd be interesting. Obviously I'm a little stuck for choice given I can more or less only remember football from about 2003 onwards. >_>

Pickford, Howard, Martyn

Baines, Naysmith, Jagielka, Yobo, Lescott, Coleman, P. Neville

Cahill, Arteta, Richarlison, Walcott, Sigurdsson, Gueye, Osman, Gravesen, Pienaar

Lukaku, Rooney, Yakubu, Ferguson

Edit: Nevermind, I've had a quick punt.

Cech, Cudicini, De Goey*

A.Cole, Le Saux, Terry, Desailly, Carvalho, Leboeuf, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta

Makelele, Kante, Lampard, Essien, Gullit, Wise**

Hazard, Anelka, Robben, Zola, Hasselbaink, Drogba

* yes I know this ought to be Courtois but fuck him

** I feel dirty including Wisey when you consider that Di Matteo, Fabregas, Gudjohnsen, Mata, etc. are not in the list, but something-something squad balance...

Oof, this is tough.

Goalkeepers: Seaman, Lehmann, Cech
Defenders: Lauren, Adams, Campbell, Cole, Toure, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn
Midfielders: Pires, Ljungberg, Gilberto, Vieira, Ozil, Cazorla, Overmars, Rocastle
Forwards: Henry, Bergkamp, van Persie, Wright

I don't like leaving out Ray Parlour and Cesc Fabregas. 

Goalkeepers: Reina, Dudek, Alisson *

Defenders: Finnan, Rob Jones, Carragher, Hyypia, Van Dijk, Henchoz, Riise, Aurelio

Midfielders: Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Coutinho, Mane, McManaman, Salah, McAllister, Hamann

Forwards: Owen, Fowler, Suarez, Torres

Quite happy with that. Bit of a lack of depth outwide but there's a few people I've missed like  Firmino, Heskey, Henderson, Berger, Milner, Barnes etc. 

* most of our keepers have been shite

Go on then. 

Keepers: Given, Harper, Srnicek

Defenders: Watson, Beye, Woodgate, Coloccini, Albert, Faye, Beresford, Bernard

Midfielders: Solano, Milner, Speed, Lee, Tiote, Cabaye, Ginola, Robert

Forwards: Shearer, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Cole

So tempted to name Milner and Solano ahead of two fullbacks, I struggle to even think of two decent right backs in my near thirty years hence Habib Beye's spot. Beardsley and Cole have to play together or not at all. 

I might squeeze Scott Parker in there and maybe Owen too. He was a prick and a crock but that 3 months before he got injured he was immense so potential there for this exercise!

Is that Amdy or Abdoulaye Faye? I don't remember either being particularly good. I'd throw Lascelles in there before either of them!

I don't mind Owen as much as most Newcastle fans, but that most recent interview even soured Shearer of him, little shit. Besides which that era Owen can't hold a candle to the four I put in, I see Beardsley and Cole as one of the all time great Premier League partnerships even though they only managed a season together at top flight. 

Abdoulaye Faye, I thought he was absolutely outstanding. Then we let him go and he went on to do pretty much nothing. Amdy is possibly the worst footballer I've ever seen. I remember him going through one on one with a keeper and being hacked down from behind, and utterly agreeing with the ref that it was only a yellow. Like fuck was Amdy Faye ten yards from goal a clear goalscoring opportunity. 

My maybes were Batty (and Parker, but if I'm picking one holding midfielder it's Tiote, he gets the "thwack" bonus just like Albert), plus probably Bellamy and maybe even a Kieron Dyer. I keep thinking I'm missing someone, but I think it's mainly missed opportunities like Viana and Emre rather that glaring omissions. 

1 hour ago, MexicoJack said:

Mata, Veron

Really? Think they stick out like a sore thumb in that squad. No Carrick? 

Also Beckham, Scholes, Keane and Giggs in one midfield was just so fucking outrageous and unfair in hindsight. 

7 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Goalkeepers: Reina, Dudek, Alisson *

Defenders: Finnan, Rob Jones, Carragher, Hyypia, Van Dijk, Henchoz, Riise, Aurelio

Midfielders: Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Coutinho, Mane, McManaman, Salah, McAllister, Hamann

Forwards: Owen, Fowler, Suarez, Torres

Quite happy with that. Bit of a lack of depth outwide but there's a few people I've missed like  Firmino, Heskey, Henderson, Berger, Milner, Barnes etc. 

* most of our keepers have been shite

I would have 100% include  Grobelaar, Steve Staunton, John Barnes, Jan Molby and Ian Rush. 

And Bjorn Tore Kvarme and Torban Pechnik. :shifty:

1 hour ago, TCO said:

Really? Think they stick out like a sore thumb in that squad. No Carrick? 

Also Beckham, Scholes, Keane and Giggs in one midfield was just so fucking outrageous and unfair in hindsight. 

I'll admit I didn't consider Carrick for reasons that escape me. I'd put Carrick in there over Veron. Mata gets into that squad for both being an incredible human being and because he scored an overhead kick vs Liverpool, which to me means he needs at least a statue outside Old Trafford.

Edit: thinking about it... drop Mata and put CR7 back in midfield and have Ole Gunnar in there as well.

Martyn, Schmeichel, Robinson

Harte, B. Douglas, Mills, Kelly, Radebe, Ferdinand, Matteo, Woodgate, Jansson

Dacourt, Batty, Bowyer, Bakke, Delph, Cook, Snodgrass

Hasselbaink, Viduka, Smith, Fowler

Probably have to play a 3-5-2 given that there isn't much option on the wings. Obviously that cünt can't play for us either. McCormack, Beckford and Gradel are a bit unfortunate to miss out but it'd be impossible to leave out any of the 4 forwards.

Edited by Matt

9 hours ago, Hobo said:

I would have 100% include  Grobelaar, Steve Staunton, John Barnes, Jan Molby and Ian Rush. 

And Bjorn Tore Kvarme and Torban Pechnik. :shifty:

I was at the back end of Barnes/Molby et al. Couldn't really remember back then. 

Although Kvarme was a staple on old Championship Manager games. 

I reckon it'd be easier to do a team of cult heroes.