2018 College Football thread

Lineker

The word was going around that Holgorsen wanted out of West Virginia as early as the beginning of the season. Will Greier is gone, so it's probably the best time for him to leave.

It is odd seeing someone go from a consistent Top-25 Power 5 program to a Group of Six job, though Houston is likely going to be paying him Power 5 money, but with a little less the stress and better base for recruiting. 

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Dana Holgorsen is off to Houston to be the new head coach. They offered more than WVU was willing to match apparently. He pulled a Randy Edsall and stayed behind in Orlando after their bowl game ended too. So that's a good look.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

The word was going around that Holgorsen wanted out of West Virginia as early as the beginning of the season. Will Greier is gone, so it's probably the best time for him to leave.

It is odd seeing someone go from a consistent Top-25 Power 5 program to a Group of Six job, though Houston is likely going to be paying him Power 5 money, but with a little less the stress and better base for recruiting. 

Meacon's got it right. The bloom's pretty much come off the rose in Morgantown, and they aren't happy with 8 wins. I don't blame them this season, but in general, I think that's probably they're ceiling most years.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Yeah Houston is in great recruiting territory that's for sure. He can run his offense there and attract a ton of top-level talent. They're paying him Power 5 money for sure, and I know there's going to be the occasional chatter about Big 12 expansion (and with it Houston and UCF joining the conference). So it's easy to see why Houston would make a move like this.

21 minutes ago, DMN said:

Meacon's got it right. The bloom's pretty much come off the rose in Morgantown, and they aren't happy with 8 wins. I don't blame them this season, but in general, I think that's probably they're ceiling most years.

Oh yeah WVU is one of the many programs stuck in perpetual December bowl territory. They're good enough to get there, but without a once-in-a-lifetime coach who actually stays in town long enough they're never getting up to that next level of regularly competing for the CFP.

19 hours ago, Meacon said:

At least this will shut up the people who think Georgia belonged in over us. They got destroyed by an LSU team that barely beat a McKenzie Milton-less UCF and then were completely out-played tonight against Texas. 

Texas did knock the Irish out of 'Back' status, so now it is Texas who is back. Notre Dame falls to 2nd, followed by USC, Miami, Nebraska, Tennessee, and FSU.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DMN said:

Texas did knock the Irish out of 'Back' status, so now it is Texas who is back. Notre Dame falls to 2nd, followed by USC, Miami, Nebraska, Tennessee, and FSU.

That game meant so much to Texas and so little to Georgia. And it was apparent from the opening whistle. The Longhorns players and fans definitely have reason to believe they're "back" now.

Just now, Meacon said:

Herman is a good fit at Texas. And Ehlinger is pretty darn good at QB. If they can put together a Top-25 defense (that's like top 99.9% in Big12...) then they could be dangerous next year. 

Matching a Big 12 offense with a good defense is tough, since the way you play on offense means your defense is constantly shuffling back out onto the field. But if Herman can go against the grain of that and try to slow down his opponents through time of possession he's in a great spot long-term there.

4 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Matching a Big 12 offense with a good defense is tough, since the way you play on offense means your defense is constantly shuffling back out onto the field. But if Herman can go against the grain of that and try to slow down his opponents through time of possession he's in a great spot long-term there.

If there's a Big 12 team to do it, though, it's Texas. Every top tier athlete is there at their disposal. They need to just let some of those guys play defense instead of loading up everyone on offense. 

Cole Kelley's transferring from Arkansas to Southeastern Louisiana University, after having lost the starting QB position to Ty Storey this year. 

Also, Defensive lineman McTelvin Agim is coming back to Arkansas to play his senior season. 

ALSO Also, CLEMSON BAMA TOMORROW GET HYPE then it's no more college football til like, August. :(

I REALLY fucking hate Alabama more than usual now.

There was a post on Facebook about a player decomitting from the Vols, and I commented that I wished him good luck, unless he went to Alabama.

The only responses I've had to my comment have been from asshat Tide fans, and one made a comment that really pissed me off. Something about Vols fans thinking they're national champions every year. Hypocritical coming from a fan of  `The University of Here's a National Title'. 

I'd love to see one of two things even happen to Alabama:

1. They find out some seriously dirty shit is going on that leads to a death penalty that makes SMU's look like a slap on the wrist. 

or

2. The year Saban decides to retire, someone beats the absolute fuck out of Alabama so bad that the loss knocks them out of any chance of even making the playoffs. Bonus: Their star player at the time gets absolutely schooled, and looks like a fool.

With my luck, Alabama will probably beat Clemson. But I hope somehow Clemson stomps the hell out of them.

Clemson won't "stomp the hell out of them", but they're very capable of winning tomorrow night.

Alabama is going to be who they are for as long as Saban is around. And I've said for the last couple years, that I fully expect Dabo to go to Alabama when Saban does retire, since it's his alma mater, and he'll likely keep the run going. 

It is what it is. I've accepted that getting to the playoffs is the best Notre Dame can achieve, and just accept the Alabama/Clemson Bowl.