2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would Gronk's momentum physically allowed him to turn back once he had passed the defender? Even without the holding, he'd have had a lot of ground to make up in a very, very short time.

That gif basically does show I saw and what I've argued for. Gronk had no shot at getting to the ball without pushing 2 defenders out of the way to get to it.

The only thing they could really call was pass interference. Holding and illegal contact happen before the ball is thrown. Kuechly was definitely impeding his path to the ball but they must have thought it was uncatchable so they didn't call it.

Apologies for the double-post, i've been doing some further reading. EDIT: Not a double-post! yay!

The bolded is a thing that is not true. In particular, Bill Barnwell at Grantland concurs with the refs that Gronk wasn't going to get involved in the play and it was correct to not call/pickup the flag for PI, but that it is still a play that fit the definition of holding and could/should have been called. If I was the Panthers I would invite the Pats out to whichever ground they like and give them one play from the 13yd line, stop it and then like...flip them off and ride into the sunset. Because the Pats probably still wouldn't have won.

The only thing they could really call was pass interference. Holding and illegal contact happen before the ball is thrown. Kuechly was definitely impeding his path to the ball but they must have thought it was uncatchable so they didn't call it.

Apologies for the double-post, i've been doing some further reading. EDIT: Not a double-post! yay!

The bolded is a thing that is not true. In particular, Bill Barnwell at Grantland concurs with the refs that Gronk wasn't going to get involved in the play and it was correct to not call/pickup the flag for PI, but that it is still a play that fit the definition of holding and could/should have been called. If I was the Panthers I would invite the Pats out to whichever ground they like and give them one play from the 13yd line, stop it and then like...flip them off and ride into the sunset. Because the Pats probably still wouldn't have won.

No...no it isn't...from the NFL rule book

(a) To defend or protect himself against an obstructing opponent.

Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender. The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

The ball was in the air when the holding occured. The play had already developed. According to the rule book, no defensive holding happened.

You have got to be absolutely joking me. That's so laughably inaccurate it made my head spin. The play does not finish developing once the ball is thrown. What if they were at their OWN 25 instead of the Panthers 25? If Gronk makes a catch at midfield, by your logic Stevan Ridley could come running after the defender and haul him down because the play had already developed so all holding bets are off.

If a quarterback throws the ball to an area and the receiver has to go run and get it, he's allowed to be hauled down while the ball is in midair because the play has already developed? That would mean that you can haul down any receiver about to receive a back-shoulder fade, or a ball lobbed to the far pylon when you're inside the 5 (a very common throw I might add).

You're trolling me, right? I mean - you got me: Hook, line and sinker. But...you are trolling me, aren't you?

You have got to be absolutely joking me. That's so laughably inaccurate it made my head spin. The play does not finish developing once the ball is thrown. What if they were at their OWN 25 instead of the Panthers 25? If Gronk makes a catch at midfield, by your logic Stevan Ridley could come running after the defender and haul him down because the play had already developed so all holding bets are off.

If a quarterback throws the ball to an area and the receiver has to go run and get it, he's allowed to be hauled down while the ball is in midair because the play has already developed? That would mean that you can haul down any receiver about to receive a back-shoulder fade, or a ball lobbed to the far pylon when you're inside the 5 (a very common throw I might add).

You're trolling me, right? I mean - you got me: Hook, line and sinker. But...you are trolling me, aren't you?

No, but I have had quite a few beers tonight...

• Like 1

I probably had a well thought out argument in my head..but its gone

After seeing the play countless times, I understand now why there wasn't a flag.

But therein lies the problem I have with the play. If what Kuechly did is legal, then the NFL seriously need to re-evaluate their rulebook. Because that needs to be some kind of a penalty. As I said before, I don't like the Patriots in the least bit, but if that had happened to Denver, I'd be burning shit down.

And yeah, NBT, your boys got screwed on a bullshit call. You can't fart near a quarterback in the NFL anymore.

Read this. Once the ball is thrown, defensive holding cannot be called. And once the QB is out of the pocket, illegal contact no longer applies.

• Like 1