2016 Rio Summer Olympics

My thinking is that the Olympic gold medal ought to be the biggest prize in the Olympic sports, and that clearly isn't the case for golf and tennis. While you could say the same thing about football, there's the get-out argument that the age restrictions differentiate it from the regular international competitions. I can't say that having these sports in the Olympics is something that bothers me to a huge extent, but I think the case for having something like squash in there is greater than the case for putting golf in. Of course, that's forgetting the commercial factor, which is presumably the main reason why it's been added.

Competitors still take the event very seriously at least in Tennis. I think it can have it's place in the Olympics, it hasn't been for 'amateurs' for some time now, but the attitude of all the golfers isn't encouraging.

Maybe these sports should all do what Football does and have it for U23s or something? I guess that'd not really work in Golf but still.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Competitors still take the event very seriously at least in Tennis. I think it can have it's place in the Olympics, it hasn't been for 'amateurs' for some time now, but the attitude of all the golfers isn't encouraging.

Maybe these sports should all do what Football does and have it for U23s or something? I guess that'd not really work in Golf but still.

In a sport like tennis/golf, you could have it be for like people in a certain range of the rankings.

5 hours ago, Adam said:

Golf has amateurs and college players. It'd work. 

8 hours ago, MDK said:

Golf spoils a good walk

Holy crap if you put 18 pokestops on a golf course i'd play every week :\ Not sure how this made me think of that but there you go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

I think they should add Ninja Warrior to the Olympics. 

Makes a lot more sense than rubbish like Curling, from the Winter Olympics.

Get out. Curling is awesome.

I'd love to see halfpipe for skateboarding or BMX. And get rid of that horse dancing bollocks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Get out. Curling is awesome.

I'd love to see halfpipe for skateboarding or BMX. And get rid of that horse dancing bollocks.

Every-damn-time...curling is on?  I"m glued to the TV for hours

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I think they should add Ninja Warrior to the Olympics. 

Makes a lot more sense than rubbish like Curling, from the Winter Olympics.

Curling is great fun!

Golf is definitely a sport, just a sedate one. It's fine if you don't like it, but to say it isn't a sport is silly.