Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

6 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I'm desperate for a Huddersfield clean sheet tbh so I'm more than happy with a 0-0 tonight :shifty:

Kouyate was a pube away from getting on the end of a Carroll ball driven across the 6 yard box, and Hernandez hit the bar. You'd think they'll regroup at HT and do better now though, so it could be their night! 

11 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Spot on imo. 

Maybe so...

However, I'm just frustrated at the lack of consistency when there's been three similar incidents over the weekend with three different results.

1) Mane incident resulting in a red card 

2) Matt Ritchie does a high foot, studs showing towards a Swansea player and only gets a yellow card. 

3) Winston Reid, head kick to someone's face, no booking. 

TELEMMGLPICT000140150211_trans_NvBQzQNjv 

There's inconsistency across games constantly, it was only the similar body shape of Ritchie and Mane that highlighted it this week. Someone got away with one completely on Mbemba just before the international break, had that been this week I'd imagine it would've been retrospectively punished. Ritchie got away with it since he was booked, and in fairness the one from Reid is nowhere near as bad. High foot but not the flying lunge that Mane and Ritchie did. 

Still don't know how Sanches got away with kicking Joselu in the bollocks... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davidmarrio said:

Maybe so...

However, I'm just frustrated at the lack of consistency when there's been three similar incidents over the weekend with three different results.

1) Mane incident resulting in a red card 

2) Matt Ritchie does a high foot, studs showing towards a Swansea player and only gets a yellow card. 

3) Winston Reid, head kick to someone's face, no booking. 

TELEMMGLPICT000140150211_trans_NvBQzQNjv 

The Ritchie one was high but didn't catch the guy in the face at full pelt. It does make a difference that the boot was head high AND connected with the face.

Reid is probably worthy of a yellow, but without studs showing, a more 'legitimate' attempt for the ball that wasn't as likely to cause damage.

Edited by Liam

Just now, Baddar said:

Yeah, rightly or wrongly, refs definitely take into account the damage that is done.

I think they do, but it is also about what the likelihood of injury is in the circumstance also. Ritchie missed the opponent and wasn't at head heights; Reid wasn't showing studs but head height; Mane did both and connected with a vulnerable part of the opponent. It may seem unfair that not every high boot gets penalised the same, but they are clearly different enough - Mane hasn't been sent off and then seen a studs to the face high foot go unpunished in another game. His is easily the worst of the challenges by nature of the outcome - a studded boot to the face. Unfortunate, sure, but I don't think you can complain that it was somehow treated differently.

Nah, for me if Mane goes Ritchie does too, just lucky timing he doesn't do the same level of damage. Pity the ref wasn't considering damage done when Kane decided to scissor tackle DeJeune from behind, a foul that's been a red since the 90s.

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

The Ritchie one was high but didn't catch the guy in the face at full pelt. It does make a difference that the boot was head high AND connected with the face.

Reid is probably worthy of a yellow, but without studs showing, a more 'legitimate' attempt for the ball that wasn't as likely to cause damage.

I do think Reid should have been given a yellow card, that was my opinion when I saw it last night. But on a different day/different ref/whatever that probably would have been given a yellow card. That's why I threw it in with the three that I pointed out as it would be a yellow in a different game but it wasn't a yellow on Monday. 

2 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Yeah, rightly or wrongly, refs definitely take into account the damage that is done.

In terms of Ritchie though for me comes down to Baddar's quote and you've pointed it out as well is the idea of  "damage" and "catching someone"

I don't think damage should be necessarily be a determining factor in deciding what is yellow and what is red in certain circumstances. Perfectly good tackles injure someone, bad tackles sometimes don't injure people. It should be the type of tackle or incident. 

Mane's was the worst of the three but Ritchie should be getting sent off, just because he didn't clatter him in the face he is still going towards the defenders face with a raised boot and his studs up. Ritchie himself after the game said he was lucky to not be sent off. If Mane's is a red, Ritchie's is a red. That's how I can complain about it being treated because of the lack of consistency there is when it comes to decisions.

Got to agree, it's about whether or not the action could cause an injury, not whether or not it actually does. Mane and Ritchie's challenges were almost identical, the only difference was Mane ploughed straight into Ederson's face and Ritchie narrowly avoided Mawson, who stayed stood up. They're both reds if you ask me.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Still don't know how Sanches got away with kicking Joselu in the bollocks... 

All knowing football sage Chris Sutton called that 'playful'.

• Like 2