Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

It's not VAR's fault, but that is just a joke. The rule has been, for as long as I know under the new-age offside rules, if he doesn't touch the ball then it is a goal. Sigurdsson is not impeding the goalie, he isn't in his eyeline or anything. So it's a goal.

Kavanagh sending Ancelotti off as well after the whistle. I'm sure that makes him feel like a big man.

Fed up to the back teeth of the officials in this country. They're a set of arrogant, jumped up tosspots who apply their own laws. Joke.

Everton the better team today, I think Man Utd looked very ordinary aside from Fernandes. Calvert-Lewin should be starting for England if these friendlies go ahead at the end if the month. He didn't waste a ball all day.

Just saw it and it's the completely correct decision. Sigurdsson is plonked right in front of De Gea and pulls his feet away. I'm curious as to how there can be any counter argument really.

The rule as far as I am aware is a player can't join a team if he left his previous club after that team's country's transfer window ended. So Szumi is right, he can't come to England until the summer now.

Have to presume he has an offer from s team whose window is open, which must be only the MLS and one or two others?

Josef Martinez tore his ACL for Atlanta on opening day this weekend. I wonder if they're going to bring him in as a rush replacement, but I don't see how they can afford him with how the DP rules work in MLS. That was my initial thought, but I could see him coming here for sure

• Admin

A streaming service that is aiming to become a “Netflix of sport” is to expand to 200 countries, including the UK, and is targeting Premier League rights for the British market.

The London-based Dazn, which is owned by the billionaire Sir Len Blavatnik, currently operates in nine international markets but the high cost of sports rights driven by Sky and BT has delayed a UK launch.

Dazn, pronounced “Dazone”, is little-known in the UK but it has upset the traditional sports pay-TV model overseas. In December, Dazn secured the rights to Champions League football in Germany from 2021, ending Sky’s two-decade grip. Dazn also has Champions League and Premier League rights in Canada and Japan.

John Skipper, Dazn’s executive chairman and the former president of the sports broadcaster ESPN, told a conference late last year that Premier League rights are key to cracking the UK.

“The UK is a logical Dazn market,” he said. “In terms of the rights in this country, obviously you need Premier League rights, boxing is very important here and tennis is very important here.”

Even with Blavatnik’s billions – the Ukrainian-born tycoon also owns Warner Music, home to Ed Sheeran and Katy Perry, and has a stake in Spotify – Dazn is unlikely to have the war chest to unseat the prime rights held by Sky and BT. Sky and BT paid £4.5bn in the last three-year deal, which expires in 2022.

However, Amazon paid about £90m to simulcast 20 matches a season under the current deal, as the Premier League explored adapting its model for the streaming age. The Premier League is also considering selling matches on a Netflix-style channel of its own in select markets, dubbed Premflix, rather that to TV broadcasters.

Dazn will expand to 200 countries including the UK on 2 May, with an initial focus on boxing. Dazn has a $1bn (£780m) deal with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing, which promotes fighters including Anthony Joshua. However, the deal does not include Joshua’s fights in the UK, which are aired by Sky, which Dazn is expected to bid for when the deal comes up for renewal. The company also has a $350m deal in place with Canelo Álvarez, the largest contract in the history of boxing, as well as with promoters including Oscar de la Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.

Dazn has yet to set the price of its new service but it is expected to be about £4.99 a month.

“Establishing Dazn as the global home of fight sports is just the first step,” said Joseph Markowski, the Dazn senior executive who is to run the new global service.

I only knew it was DA ZONE because of watching some boxing coverage, and the name is so hilarious it stuck with me.

Ambitious of them. Football rights over here are such big business and even stuff like Tennis has an established streaming model now - Amazon basically owns live Tennis outside of the British grass season and ATP Finals here doesn't it?

Hopefully they get involved in football soon enough. I couldn't even be arsed finding out what extortionate subscription I needed for El Clasico last night, just caught the goals on reddit after. It's a broken market.

Needless to say it wouldn't be £5 a month if they secured Premier League rights though, and is just going to end up another service to sign up to. Competition has not helped the consumer whatsoever in this case.

57 minutes ago, TCO said:

Hopefully they get involved in football soon enough. I couldn't even be arsed finding out what extortionate subscription I needed for El Clasico last night, just caught the goals on reddit after. It's a broken market.

La Liga TV works out at under 15p per fixture at £5.99 a month so is well worth it imo.