NFL 2019

Maxx

Aside from a playoff appearance in 2016, the Giants have been awful since their last Super Bowl...Eli has taken a huge brunt of the blame, and it’s clear that the time to move on was after the Geno Smith debacle in 2017 instead of Gettleman recommitting to him and giving up a year later.

That said, no matter how bad seven of the last eight seasons have been, history will remember Eli leading two miraculous Super Bowl runs, mostly playing on the road in very tough conditions where he displayed nerves of steel.  He also was an iron man in a league where quarterbacks get hurt every year, and due to his ability to stay on the field he’s finishing up top 10 all time in yardage and touchdowns, all for one of the longest running franchises in the sport.

There were ups, there were downs.  His body of work will likely land him a spot in the Giants’ Ring of Honor as soon as next season.  They might not officially retire his number since they’ve retired so many of them, but much like Strahan’s #92 I still think they’ll keep Eli’s #10 out of circulation.  His Hall of Fame candidacy will be a fascinating debate in five years, can two Super Bowl MVPs and longevity outweigh the .500 career regular season record?

In any event, a whole generation of Giants fans will always remember Eli as their quarterback.  Thank you Eli.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

The salt from the Eagle fans toward Andy Reid is plentiful.

Like I’d get it if Philly still hadn’t won a Super Bowl, but they have. Leave Andy alone, you insecure ninnies.

Have you forgotten that Eagles fans are assholes?

Listening to the radio this morning, and there was a questioned asked if Andy Reid is a Hall of Fame coach, assuming the Chiefs don't win the Super Bowl next week. Most of the announcers said no, he wasn't. But, how do you argue that he's not?

49 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Listening to the radio this morning, and there was a questioned asked if Andy Reid is a Hall of Fame coach, assuming the Chiefs don't win the Super Bowl next week. Most of the announcers said no, he wasn't. But, how do you argue that he's not?

Because of the coaches in without one, Gilman is credited with a lot of the stuff that Coryell built upon in terms of the passing game, George Allen had a .712 winning percentage and never had a losing season, while Marv Levy and Bud Grant lost four. 

Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Dick Vermeil, Tom Flores, and Don Coryell, in reverse order,all should go in before a Reid without a win on Sunday.

But you still think that Reid, without a Super Bowl victory, is a Hall of Fame coach? These announcers were pretty admitted that without winning one, he didn't stand a chance at going in. I do agree that everybody you listed should go in first. 

19 minutes ago, Pooker said:

But you still think that Reid, without a Super Bowl victory, is a Hall of Fame coach? These announcers were pretty admitted that without winning one, he didn't stand a chance at going in. I do agree that everybody you listed should go in first. 

I probably would not vote for him if I had a vote. Even among current coaches I'd have him behind Belichick, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll, and John Harbaugh. Edit: I'd add Gruden, as well, honestly.

He's Hall of Very Good. The five NFC title games with Philly are great, but he only got to one Super Bowl, and he lost that. Getting KC back into the Super Bowl after 50 years is also a great accomplishment, but it will just be another playoff failure for both himself and the franchise if he doesn't win it. Nothing else about his career stands out, he's a great play caller, but his offense isn't exactly new, nor did he create it, and he's been blessed with good to great QBs.

If he gets in without one it's as a veterans committee choice somewhere down the line.

Also, correction, Sid Gilman did win an AFL Championship in 1963, so he doesn't really belong in that group up there. That makes George Allen the 'least successful' modern coach in the Hall, and he was a winning percentage ten points higher than Reid and was a much better GM and team builder.

Edit: If he does win on Sunday, he's in, though. Bringing a trophy back to KC after 50 years would be a massive accomplishment.

• Like 1

I'm not going to argue over Mike Shanahan, but even without a Super Bowl win, I'd put Any Reid in over him. Without Elway and Davis, Shanahan would have never made it to, let alone won, a Super Bowl.

Oh, and in laughable news, Donovan McNabb is blaming T.O. for the Eagles losing Super Bowl XXXIX. 

Yes, but Shanahan's time with Washington can be used as an argument that he's not that great a coach. Some people (not me) would also use what happened with RGIII against him.

Edited by GhostMachine