Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

Yeah, you have to thin Kasper Schmeichel saves that if he's actually mentally fit to play football. But he's not because he just experienced a very fucking traumatic experience.

Just now, Chris2K said:

I feel sorry for both teams now. If Finland win it will be their biggest ever victory, and will have a huge asterisk next to it. Schmeichel saves that 99 times out of 100 in normal circumstances.

I don't doubt that it's difficult to get in the right headspace but... Just a few minutes ago the Pearce was commenting on how he made big mistakes that "likely cost his team a place in the Champions League". We'll never know what elements will be affected in the game and that'll be a shame. It might have gone the same way regardless of what we witnessed earlier.

I'm watching this Denmark-Finland game to its conclusion, I feel a duty to in a weird way. But it is such an odd experience and I feel really sorry for everyone involved.

If Denmark do lose, it feels cruel. If Finland win, they can't truly feel happy about their first ever tournament win. Denmark missing a penalty and losing potentially to a goalkeeper flub is also really unfortunate.

I don't think they should have played, even if Christian Eriksen said it was okay. I just hope he is alright and can recover fully from what happened today.

• Like 4

I'm not naive to the point of expecting them to cancel the match or doing any radical changes to the tournament, but would it be the end of the world to allow the game to be played any other day? 

It would still be during the groups phase, so it wouldn't really affect anything, and at least the danish players (and the finns too, tbh) wouldn't have to play immediately after such a potentially traumatic event. Why force them to go through this TODAY?

I really don't understand it.

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

I'm watching this Denmark-Finland game to its conclusion, I feel a duty to in a weird way. But it is such an odd experience and I feel really sorry for everyone involved.

If Denmark do lose, it feels cruel. If Finland win, they can't truly feel happy about their first ever tournament win. Denmark missing a penalty and losing potentially to a goalkeeper flub is also really unfortunate.

I don't think they should have played, even if Christian Eriksen said it was okay. I just hope he is alright and can recover fully from what happened today.

I think what @The Kraig said was on point. They should never even had been given the question to play, the game should've been postponed then and there and either finished at a different point in the coming week, or labeled a 0-0 draw.

But this is 2021, where 'interests' reign supreme and people are 'motivated' to continue a show regardless of what transpired.

I remember november last year when Romain Grosjean's car went up into a fireball and he was in the blaze for 12 whole seconds, yet despite being nearly roasted alive, everyone was 'asked' to restart the race, and because they're professionals they'll say yes because they're not paid to tell 'no' to the people with a lot more influence and power than they have.

Even if Chris himself told them to keep playing, he shouldn't have given that power, because of course the person in him wants his friends and comrades to not worry about him.

The UEFA should have stopped it, but they didn't, because 'interests' weigh heavier than the wellbeing of players or common sense.

Welcome to modern society.

• Like 1

I really don't see how Denmark come back from today now.

I can see Belgium absolutely spanking Russia tonight. Been trying to watch both games, but obviously cared a lot more about Denmark/Finland.

@DanishmadePunk- hope you and all the Danes are okay knowing Christian is recovering. That is the most important thing. :({):

6 minutes ago, JasonM said:

I think what @The Kraig said was on point. They should never even had been given the question to play, the game should've been postponed then and there and either finished at a different point in the coming week, or labeled a 0-0 draw.

But this is 2021, where 'interests' reign supreme and people are 'motivated' to continue a show regardless of what transpired.

I remember november last year when Romain Grosjean's car went up into a fireball and he was in the blaze for 12 whole seconds, yet despite being nearly roasted alive, everyone was 'asked' to restart the race, and because they're professionals they'll say yes because they're not paid to tell 'no' to the people with a lot more influence and power than they have.

Even if Chris himself told them to keep playing, he shouldn't have given that power, because of course the person in him wants his friends and comrades to not worry about him.

The UEFA should have stopped it, but they didn't, because 'interests' weigh heavier than the wellbeing of players or common sense.

Welcome to modern society.

It was a very WWE thing to do. :unsure: