Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

10 hours ago, The Kraig said:

Russia have missed players like Akinfeev. Amazing what happens when your true star players retire. I'm curious to see Portugal once Cristiano disappears.

Portugal have so much talent in their ranks, and also coming through, I think they'll be fine.

Bruno, Dias, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Joao Felix, Renato Sanches, Jota is quite a crop of players to have all in their early - mid twenties. 

• Like 2

A good amount of football fans in Portugal are just hoping Ronaldo retires from the NT soon, so the rest of their very talented players - as Jimmy said - will stop feeling like they have to give him every single ball just so he's able to break every goal scoring record ever. Portugal hasn't had a bunch of creative types like these since the 90s but they just can't do anything because the big dog is there  (granted a greece style manager doesn't help).

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Portugal have so much talent in their ranks, and also coming through, I think they'll be fine.

Bruno, Dias, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Joao Felix, Renato Sanches, Jota is quite a crop of players to have all in their early - mid twenties. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Speaking of which, Cancelo is out with Covid.

Charlotte Jackson/Coleman is back on Sky in celebration I see.

England winning it all would be fine by me, because money, but it would be nice if they could do it convincingly. Winning all 3 group games and then defeating one of the big nations in Round 2 would be a massive statement. Draws with Croatia and Scotland and a win over the Czech Republic before winning against Sweden on pens to send them to the quarters and be bigged up like they were at the WC would be awful to see.

9 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Draws with Croatia and Scotland and a win over the Czech Republic before winning against Sweden on pens to send them to the quarters and be bigged up like they were at the WC would be awful to see.

This is the way.

• Haha 1

Honestly, won't be surprised at all if Croatia win this. I really like their XI, expecting them to switch between 433 and a back 3 with Gvardiol rotating between LB/LCB and Perisic dropping to a WB when necessary. I think England only wins if Mason Mount can press Luka Modric nonstop. 

34 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

When was the last time England played well in their first match of a major tournament? Tunisia in 1998? Even then, Tunisia had the better of the first half-hour.

In the Euros? Never.

BBC - The Three Lions have never won their opening game at a European Championship (D5 L4).