2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

2 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Welp.

Was hoping we would get Watson signed before this.

I think this is a good thing for the Watson and Lamar contracts. The biggest challenge with big contracts is not having too much money up front. So if you do a long deal with a huge signing bonus and then a relatively lower guaranteed salary number you reduce the annual cap hit and can restructure earlier. It's these massive 4-5 year contracts that are killer. The salary cap presumably only keeps increasing, making it easier to push money back.

I mean they had to pay Mahomes but the reality is barring QBs getting their own pay scale separate from the rest of the salary cap, they just aren't going to be able to afford to keep the current roster together for much longer.  Their drafts will become that much more important.

At least they won a ring while the window was open.

9 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

I mean they had to pay Mahomes but the reality is barring QBs getting their own pay scale separate from the rest of the salary cap, they just aren't going to be able to afford to keep the current roster together for much longer.  Their drafts will become that much more important.

At least they won a ring while the window was open.

I think some of the analytics people on ESPN went into this and basically pointed it out as an anomaly because teams with QBs not on rookie deals don't have a lower winning percentage or anything. It's just that they strangely aren't making deep runs in the playoffs or when they do not winning the Super Bowl. But a lot of that is possibly owed to 15 years of Tom Brady skewing the results by not having a huge contract. Now nobody will be in that situation.

• Like 1

Sadly, I see people (and by `people', I mean idiots) trying to use this as an excuse to try and pressure Dallas into signing Dak. 

The response to that idea should be "Mahomes won a Super Bowl. What the fuck has Dak won?"

Edited by GhostMachine

12 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Sadly, I see people (and by `people', I mean idiots) trying to use this as an excuse to try and pressure Dallas into signing Dak. 

The response to that idea should be "Mahomes won a Super Bowl. What the fuck has Dak won?"

More games than any likely replacement would.

• Like 3

I don't think it would be wise to even consider giving Dak a new contract until he's played a few games under McCarthy.

And I honestly don't see them doing much worse if Dalton was the QB instead of Dak. Dalton's only real issue is fumbling, and he's no longer on a garbage team. I'm not nuts enough to think Dalton should be Dak's long-term replacement, or anyhting. But I'm not exactly going to be worried if he does play, either.

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

I don't think it would be wise to even consider giving Dak a new contract until he's played a few games under McCarthy.

And I honestly don't see them doing much worse if Dalton was the QB instead of Dak. Dalton's only real issue is fumbling, and he's no longer on a garbage team. I'm not nuts enough to think Dalton should be Dak's long-term replacement, or anyhting. But I'm not exactly going to be worried if he does play, either.

Dalton has the other issue of being cripplingly average. 

Dak is 40-24 with a 97.0 QB rating. Give me any single QB metric and I'll tell you he's better than Dalton at it. He's yet to have a losing record and won a playoff game, you know 1 of 2 the Cowboys have had since 1995? He's done all this while getting paid on average $900k a season.

Dak deserves everything coming his way and owes Dallas not a single cent in a discount. If the Cowboys decide to let him walk to play Dalton then they deserve everything they get.

• Thanks 2