2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

NFL will be fine because you watch "the brand" and not the players.

I honestly think they're plodding along until a state puts its foot down. At which point they'll think of a contingency. It might take someone getting extremely sick or dying for the league to actually go "hey this is a bad idea".

Trump will eviscerate the owners if they cancel the season too for what it's worth.

• Admin
1 hour ago, B-li Manning said:

Bills DT Star Lotulelei has opted out.

I think it’s going to take a major star player, specifically at QB, opting out for the NFL to even think about putting a stop to things on their own.  Otherwise they’ll stubbornly plod along until a state blocks them.

Big star player I have seen being said to be considering opting out is Demarcus Lawrence for Dallas.

• Admin

Players do have until August 3rd to opt out, though. I expect there's going to be a whole bunch of guys showing up, seeing what's what, see how they feel, whether their team and teammates are taking things seriousy enough for them, and then choosing to opt out when they decide that the answer to that question is no.

From what I read everyone that opts out receives some form of stipend, ranging from $100k-$350k depending on if the player is labeled high risk.  Undrafted rookies that might've been longshots to make the roster and now won't have preseason to make an impression could take some cash and try again next year.

But the other thing is unlike MLB where you forfeit your money but the year still comes off your contract, NFL contracts get paused and pushed out to the next year.  So if you sign say a four year, $40 million deal with $15 million guaranteed, you still have it, it just now runs from 2021-2024 now.  Both sides still get the contract they agreed to under the agreed upon structure, just the player will be a year older when it starts and ends.

For that reason there's some incentive for anyone who has guaranteed money but is nervous about playing to take the year off.

6 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Players do have until August 3rd to opt out, though. I expect there's going to be a whole bunch of guys showing up, seeing what's what, see how they feel, whether their team and teammates are taking things seriousy enough for them, and then choosing to opt out when they decide that the answer to that question is no.

Oh absolutely. A big thing is there's going to be tests off the bat so if it starts looking like it's just not safe in August a ton of guys (especially vets) will take the year off.

The $150k is a salary advance available to any player apart from undrafted free agent rookies.

People in the high risk category get a payment of $350k if they opt out and they get a year accrued towards free agency. Not a bad deal at all for any player who's at high risk, a complete no brainer to sit out.

This camp won't look like any other camp we have seen. Because there were no OTAs or minicamps, the league and players union agreed to dramatically change the structure of camp, in the hopes of avoiding injuries as players start to practice. The resulting schedule is essentially a mash-up of OTAs and training camp. From Aug. 3 through 11, players will have an acclimation period -- 60 minutes in the weight room and 60 minutes of on-field conditioning. No conditioning tests may be administered during this period. In addition to strength-and-conditioning work, teams can have 60-minute walkthroughs on each of the first four days and 75-minute walkthroughs on each of the last four days. Aug. 8 is a mandatory off day.

A gradual ramp-up period runs from Aug. 12 through 16, with Aug. 15 being a mandatory off day. The first practice can be 90 minutes, with 15-minute increases each day, up to a maximum of 120 minutes. Players are allowed to be on the field 3.5 hours daily, so the remainder of time will be spent in walkthroughs. On the 12th and 13th, players can wear helmets. On the 14th and 16th, they can wear helmets and shells but have no live contact.

Finally, from Aug. 17 through Sept. 6, 14 padded practices will be allowed. The Texans and Chiefs can start padded practices on Aug. 14th.

It was already known that teams with minimal roster and/or coaching turnover would have an advantage going in.  But just reading how limited the practices will be, if this season actually does get going the first few weeks might be so sloppy that it's borderline unwatchable.

21 hours ago, Maxx said:

We’re doing the fantasy football drafts as if there will be a season.

Even if I still played fantasy football, I'd be skipping this season. Because its going to be a royal bitch when some players opt out and others test positive.