NFL 2020

Lineker

I actually think it's a solid choice. He was pretty good as the interim coach in Miami a few years ago and has been with the Saints since then so hopefully he picked up a few things too. He seems like a culture choice more than anything, which is probably a good thing for the Lions. 

• Like 1

I don't know if the Saints culture is one that can really translate. I think without Brees keeping them competitive that place would've imploded years ago. But that said taking Sean Payton's right hand man is high on the list of things that if they work out will work out swimmingly.

• Like 1

Well that all sounds better.

I'm totally fine with going the no experience route, his is just a name I haven't heard until the last two weeks. After Patricia we need somebody that wont alienate the team or insult players in meetings. Obviously I hope he's good on game day as well.

Campbell actually played here briefly so there sort of is a tie to the organization. 

But then of course the article i posted shows he was/is a homophobe, and our ownership actually seems committed to social justice issues (as best as a billionaire can I guess). Hiring Holmes was a good step in that direction as well as my understanding is he's very involved in social issues. So I don't know.

Yeah I think Campbell is like Mike Singletary basically. Former player that can command a room and get players to buy in. Like the 49ers did, they may have to ultimately move on from him after a few years to reach potential but he seems like a guy can get things back in the right direction after a disastrous coach before him. 

Hopefully a bit better for your sake but guys who aren't necessarily X and O's scheme guys can work if they hire the right people around him. 

Edited by livid

Maybe if the Cowboys had hired a guy like him they wouldn't be the dumpster fire they are. 

Having an "adult in the room" and someone that can hold people accountable does wonders for a mess of a team. To a point.

Edited by livid

20 minutes ago, livid said:

Maybe if the Cowboys had hired a guy like him they wouldn't be the dumpster fire they are. 

Having an "adult in the room" and someone that can hold people accountable does wonders for a mess of a team. To a point.

Didn't Singletary, despite maybe not being a good actual coach, essentially hold all the young Niner players accountable to a point that when Harbaugh arrived they all had the maturity and talent but just needed the competency?

He'd have never done what he did there if he came to SF when they were at their mid-00s, Mike Nolan-induced, worst.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, livid said:

And the adult in the room in your scenario is the guy that drops his pants during the halftime speech of his first game?  Okay.

I am surprised he hasn’t been brought in yet, considering McCarthy’s love of all former bad 49ers coaches.

Damshow is correct, one of of the reasons why the 49ers were ready to compete by the time Harbaugh was hired is because Singletary turned the culture of the franchise around from the laughing stock it was to just basic competency. He had his moments of ridiculous (like the pants thing) but for the most part the team bought into what he was teaching them.

Of course he wasn't that good at the actual X's and O's part so he flamed out but he was a necessary component of what the 49ers of the early 2010s achieved (or got to close to achieving, at least).

Campbell could be that for the Lions, maybe even better with the right staff around him.