NFL 2020

Lineker

• Admin

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes remains in the NFL's concussion protocol, and it's too early to say that he definitely will play in Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the Buffalo Bills, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Mahomes cleared certain steps Monday, "some big steps," sources told Schefter, but the reigning Super Bowl MVP still must go through other steps to clear the concussion protocol in the coming days. There is hope and optimism, considering he is expected to practice Wednesday, a source told Schefter.

Players are allowed to practice in a limited fashion while still in the protocol, which includes five steps players need to clear before being removed.

Additionally, Mahomes is dealing with a toe issue. However, coach Andy Reid said Monday that he doesn't think that injury will be a problem.

"Yeah, I think he'll be OK there for right now with the toe part," Reid told reporters Monday. "I think we'll be all right there."

Reid said Monday that the Chiefs would have a plan whether Mahomes or backup Chad Henne starts at quarterback.

Bills coach Sean McDermott acknowledged Monday that his team will have to "prepare for both quarterbacks."

"We've got work to do to prepare," McDermott said. "Certainly have a lot of respect for Patrick and how he plays the game and what he adds to their offense. But as you saw with the weapons that they have and the system that Andy runs -- I thought Henne came in and did a really good job and won the game for them there. So we've got a lot of work to do as a team, and also in this case on our defense, to get ready."

Sarah Thomas will next month become the first woman to officiate a Super Bowl, the NFL announced Tuesday. Thomas will serve as a down judge on referee Carl Cheffers' crew at Super Bowl LV in Tampa, Florida.

Thomas joined the NFL in 2015 as its first female on-field official. The league assembles its Super Bowl officiating crew based on eligibility -- a minimum of five years of experience is required -- as well as in-season performance. She has worked a total of four postseason games in six seasons with the league.

In a statement, NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent said: "Sarah Thomas has made history again as the first female Super Bowl official. Her elite performance and commitment to excellence has earned her the right to officiate the Super Bowl. Congratulations to Sarah on this well-deserved honor."

Cheffers will be working his second Super Bowl in five seasons, having also served as crew chief for Super Bowl LI. Four other members of the crew -- umpire Fred Bryan, line judge Rusty Baynes, side judge Eugene Hall and back judge Dino Paganelli -- have worked at least one Super Bowl. Field judge James Coleman will round out the crew.

6 minutes ago, damshow said:

Need tidbit about the new Lions GM

There's a lot to like about Holmes and his character. There's been a few articles and interviews with him where he comes across as being very in tune with just being a good person. I don't know how to phrase it better, but he's a dude that seems very much on the right side of social issues. I think that was actually a reason we hired him, from what I can tell our ownership actually isn't ghoulish and sorta progressive (which honestly...even if we continue to suck I'll still cheer for them because i respect that).

It was the first draft I can remember a lot about, between Eli awkwardly standing there with a Chargers jersey getting booed at Radio City only for him to get cheered a couple of hours later when the Giants traded for him.  And then Roethlisberger sliding further than expected.

Ben is going in first ballot five years after he retires, two rings and the best numbers of the three.  Eli and Rivers have different things for an against them.  Rivers has better numbers than Eli and a better win/loss record but not the rings or playoff success, Eli has the two rings but went one-and-done in all his other playoff trips, essentially hung around too long and torpedoed himself down to a .500 record in an age where voters scrutinize QB W/L records a lot more than they used to.  I think both will go in but given the glut of HOF finalists that builds up more and more every year, it won't be immediate.

Yeah, Ben is definitely first-ballot. QBs who win 2 rings almost always feel like locks and I think all eligible QBs minus Plunkett are in. If Eli goes in early on in his eligiblity it'll amplify a lot of people campaigning for Plunkett. Rivers has the numbers but goodness did he come up small in big games.

1983 has 3 HOF QBs and I think 2003 will eventually equal that but it may take a few years for Rivers and Eli to get in. In Rivers' first year of eligibility he is at least going to have to contend with Brees and there will probably be some recent retirees who haven't gotten in yet who will also be on that ballot.

They really need to increase the size of HOF classes to clear out the glut. It made sense when there were less teams in the league but we're seeing so many HOF players just have to wait their turns forever for no reason other than a new entry on the ballot is slightly more deserving.

• Admin

So I've been looking much further ahead neyond this season (lockdown boredom) and worked out that these teams, I believe, are the ones eligible for Hard Knocks this upcoming season:

• Arizona Cardinals
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Denver Broncos
  • New York Giants

The Giants are believed to be the favourites - unless another teams volunteers. This is despite the words of John Mara, who once said the franchise would appear on the show only over his dead body.